Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 12:12:11 PM EDT
I done some computer upgrades over the holiday.  

We recently switched ISP's to a wireless high speed provider.  It worked great.  

Several people advised me to get Norton Anti virus and personal firewall since the connection is always active.

Now pages take longer to load than when we were on dial up.  I click a page icon then the little world symbol stops spinning for a few minutes and finally the page loads up.

No help from Symantec.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I hated Norton, maybe it's checking your programs each time before it loads. I bought PC-Cillin and have had nothing but great results, I wouldn't run anything else.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
i am running both nortons on my p2/300 w/ cable modem and consistently get between 500 and 1100 kbps downloads.  sure beats the 26.4 w/ dialup.

earlybirdnj
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the deal with the start-up & finding out which programs are getting automatically launched? Could this be clogging the pipe?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the responses.

after the problem started, i added 256MB of RAM.  The problem persists.

I have a Gateway G6 450 PII, a 1999 model, I wouldn't think that processor speed/memory would be the culprit, however I am open to any more suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have Norton Internet Security and Antivirus, and a Pentium III 450MHZ.

I don't notice things being much slower, but you will find:

1. Even with a slow dialup like mine, about once  every two months some nerds automated script finds me and tries to install a Trojan horse, or I get an infected email, so it's worth running Norton.

2. Certain pages won't work unless you reload after they appear to freeze, as the ad blocker stops an add from being posted, but the page won't finish loading till it detects the ad successfully up.  Also, if you network game, some games won't work unless you bring your shields down for a while unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
check to make sure it's not doing a background scan of your drives.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Haha that's because for the next couple weeks your hard drive is being hacked and the info sent over to the feds.  Norton let them in.  Norton spelled backwards is Not Ron, or dare I say: ENRON!  

MwaHahahah.  

Don't worry, as less of your harddrive needs to be read, your internet will get faster, and then they'll only do it while you sleep, if you can do that now...
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually, most likely you were used a jumping point for a hacker, and now you're being hit with a DoS attack.  He'll make you think the firewall is the problem, and wait for you to uninstall it.  Once you do that, your computer is his zombie.  

You're best bet is it start tracking the logs in your log file.  Fuck back tracing and all of that bullshit, you just end up with some data that's useless.  This guy is good, and he must really need/want your computer.  See if you are getting an abnormally large amount of packets coming in, if that's true, you are getting hit.

Also, if you are not running XP, disable NetBIOS, that shit is just to bugged to allow on your system.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Heh, I trust microsoft more on my computer than the feds.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
How do you shut down the XP firewall? I'm running Norton and Zone Alarm and mine has gotten dreadfully slow here lately. I thought it might be Earthlink. I'll try almost anything at this point.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How do you shut down the XP firewall? I'm running Norton and Zone Alarm and mine has gotten dreadfully slow here lately. I thought it might be Earthlink. I'll try almost anything at this point.
View Quote

{Internet Connection} -> Properties -> Advanced

Uncheck the box "Internet Connection Firewall"

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I run both Norton AV and Norton Internet Security and I have the XP firewall running with no problems.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top