Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2008 7:12:03 PM EDT
I got 10 email messages/receipts for 10 identical payments to Skype. I guess they're a legit business? Why the fuck would they hit my paypal account 10 times for $15.00 each?

If it wasn't Skype taking my money who was it and how in the fuck did they learn my password AND furthermore if they sent my money to Skype how do they get the money?

WTF? And now I have 10 claims ope for a week with Paypal and it looks like Skype isn't responding to the paypal investigator. Looks like I'm SOL.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
PayPal sucks for this very reason.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
They make you think it's impossible to get ripped off. But I'm seriously starting to reconsider the verified bank account associated with my Paypal account. I think credit card only would be the way to go.

I want to understand how it happened?  They has to have my password - right?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My credit card got compromised through Gaypal and Egay.  Never again!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
1) Go to Wally world
2) Put money in disposable credit card
3) Close Paypal bank account
4) Change source of paypal funds to disposable card
5) Thieves do not profit

... The fraud protection on Wally World "Visa" cards works fine BTW. I had to file a claim for a non-shipped router once. Plus the card is not linked to your credit so you've set a clearly defined limit on the money you could possibly be out.

Even if fleaBay / PayPal get haxored, they got no useful info.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
if you use paypal or some such just have a seperate slush account tied to it. i have a slush account for all of my online purchases and keep just enough in it to cover what I expect to be buying.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1) Go to Wally world
2) Put money in disposable credit card
3) Close Paypal bank account
4) Change source of paypal funds to disposable card
5) Thieves do not profit

... The fraud protection on Wally World "Visa" cards works fine BTW. I had to file a claim for a non-shipped router once. Plus the card is not linked to your credit so you've set a clearly defined limit on the money you could possibly be out.

Even if fleaBay / PayPal get haxored, they got no useful info.

So you think somebody hacked into PayPal and got my info?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
God is punishing you for using PayPal, my friend.

Repent, or yee shall see thine credit smited.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
God is punishing you for using PayPal, my friend.

Repent, or yee shall see thine credit smited.

But without GayPal I wouldn't have gotten the brand new Aimpoint Micro T1s with LaRue mounts for $410.00 each including shipping!!!!!!

I am going to set up the slush bank account per the advice above. I still don't know how they did it. I have a VERY tough password and I NEVER reply to the scam paypal email spoofs.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
... brand new Aimpoint Micro T1s with LaRue mounts for $410.00 each including shipping!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
You do realize that Skype and Paypal are both owned by e-bay right?

Sounds like an inside job.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... brand new Aimpoint Micro T1s with LaRue mounts for $410.00 each including shipping!!!!!!

Let me guess, the Live.com 30% off deal? If that's the case he won't see his 30% rebate for 60 days  - if ever.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't ever give out your paypal email address unless it's direct contact with the seller.
Call the person and talk to them to clarify which email address they use
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
They probably fished you at some point.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I got 10 email messages/receipts for 10 identical payments to Skype. I guess they're a legit business? Why the fuck would they hit my paypal account 10 times for $15.00 each?

If it wasn't Skype taking my money who was it and how in the fuck did they learn my password AND furthermore if they sent my money to Skype how do they get the money?

WTF? And now I have 10 claims ope for a week with Paypal and it looks like Skype isn't responding to the paypal investigator. Looks like I'm SOL.....

Log into paypal with your browser.  Manually type in the address and check your account.  DONT click the link in the email receipts.  If you did click on a link you got via email, change your password ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Log into paypal with your browser.  Manually type in the address and check your account.  DONT click the link in the email receipts.  If you did click on a link you got via email, change your password ASAP.

+1,000,000

Lots of times its called "Phishing" Kind of similar to the Nigerian (Quatloo ) scams that are posted on here every other day.

Anyways they send you an email that your paypal account has been compromised and have a link. You go to the link in the email and it prompts you for your real paypal passwords. And then they might just ask you to confirm your identity by asking you more sensitive questions eg. SS #'s etc....

Thats how they steal your info. They are looking for the mindless Obama voting, zombie types to fall for their scheme.

Beware, and be careful.

ST
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top