Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/4/2005 8:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:30:51 PM EDT by Tonster]
I need to find a bulk e-mail friendly ISP.
This is for legit purposes (ie NOT SPAM!!!). It seems that RoadRunner(Time Warner Cable) has determined that the max an account can send is 100/day. Need some suggestions/advice.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:32:59 PM EDT
How many? All ISP's that I know of have limits on how many you can send.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:33:36 PM EDT
Run your own mail server?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:35:44 PM EDT
Sure hope you know what you're getting into.....

HH
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:42:41 PM EDT by Tonster]

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

Need to get out about 8,000+ per mailing. I was told I need to look for a bulk e-mail friendly ISP. Not really sure where to begin.

RANT ON...It seems like spam is causing alot of issues with ISP's lately and the only thing that actually gets blocked is legit e-mails. For all the ISP's retarded rules...I still get tons of e-mails eeryday telling me I can get "bigger"RANT OFF!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:47:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tonster:

Need to get out about 8,000+ per mailing. I was told I need to look for a bulk e-mail friendly ISP. Not really sure where to begin.

RANT ON...It seems like spam is causing alot of issues with ISP's lately and the only thing that actually gets blocked is legit e-mails. For all the ISP's retarded rules...I still get tons of e-mails eeryday telling me I can get "bigger"RANT OFF!!!

Explain to me how there is such a thing as a 8,000+ LEGITIMATE mailing...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 9:01:37 PM EDT by Tonster]

Originally Posted By CeramicGod:

Well simple...
You start off with a company that has 8,000+ customers.
Normally you (along with a fairly large sales staff) have to either call (or take calls) or send these people individual e-mails.
Both parties are involved in buying or selling (some both) a specific product.
See its that easy.
These people WANT my e-mails (and I WANT theirs).
It's a shame that people are conditioned to think that bulk e-mail is only for spam.

I look forward to the Grainger e-mails I get..Wonder how many customers are on their list?
ALOT more than 8,000 I bet. Guess they don't have a legit need

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:02:40 PM EDT
You need your own mail server and probably a T1. This will not be a personal account, but an expensive business account. Your own mail server is the key.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:09:27 PM EDT

Well simple...
Normally you (along with a fairly large sales staff) have to either call (or take calls) or send these people individual e-mails.
See its that easy.
It's a shame that people are conditioned to think that bulk e-mail is only for spam.

I look forward to the Grainger e-mails I get..Wonder how many customers are on their list?

That is the excuse always used for 'solicited electronic marketing'. I guarantee you that a percentage, and a high percentile at that, of those 8,000 people don't want it.

8,000 bulk email sends is junk, pure and simple. No different than the stupid credit card offers in the snail mail which the credit card company KNOWS you want.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 9:14:00 PM EDT by FieroLoki]
You might try webmail.us

Or this

You will not be able to do 8000 emails with an ISP period. You will pay $$$ to do what you want to do.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:10:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Brians_45:
You need your own mail server and probably a T1. This will not be a personal account, but an expensive business account. Your own mail server is the key.

Looking into the T1 line at this time.
What is involved in being my own mail server?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:11:34 PM EDT
I can help, and probally for free. Private message me to work out the details.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:12:16 PM EDT

Hehehehe.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:18:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sim:
I can help, and probally for free. Private message me to work out the details.

Don't help spammers. There is a special level in hell for them and their accomplices.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:39:27 PM EDT
You're going to have a hard time finding a cheap circuit like DSL or cable that will let you send that amount of mail, and if it goes down you're just one of the nameless rabble that's calling in because you can't surf as far as the ISP is concerned. If you have 8000 customers that need to get your email, it does sound rather odd that you're running that business on a cable modem. It's time to upgrade your internet connection.

Call your local telco and get a T1. Buy a router (cisco) and configure it or have the telco provide one. Buy low end server hardware for your own mail server. You can download a linux distro with sendmail and that will send all the mail your circuit will handle. There are guides on the net on how to set it up, it's not that big of a deal if you understand the basics of how email and DNS works. You'll probably have to tweak things like mail queue timing in the sendmail configuration to handle that kind of load. Again there's guides for that, google is your friend. When you get your circuit installed, get your mail server up and then make the MX record change with whoever hosts your DNS. It will take a day or two to propagate and you'll be in business. You should really consider putting the mail server behind a firewall, and you'll need to keep sendmail updated on that machine to protect it from whatever the exploit of the month is. There are lots of different ways to do this, but if you just need a mail server to handle a large volume of mail, this is probably the simplest way to go.

If you don't want to mess with it yourself you can probably have a networking company do it for you, the company I work for charges about $90 an hour for this stuff, more for configuring routers and setting up an Exchange server to talk to your linux mail server. I'd be glad to help but I can't moonlight, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:39:52 PM EDT

Well simple...
See its that easy.

That is the excuse always used for 'solicited electronic marketing'. I guarantee you that a percentage, and a high percentile at that, of those 8,000 people don't want it.

8,000 bulk email sends is junk, pure and simple. No different than the stupid credit card offers in the snail mail which the credit card company KNOWS you want.

What an idiot.
If I wanted to go into the junk e-mail business I would have asked that question.
I ask a question that I want answered.
People answer the question with their knowledge on the subject.
That's how this forum thing works. You got to figure this stuff out BEFORE you post.
Sorry but I don’t think you are qualified to discuss the e-mail needs of my business.
I didn't grab e-mail addys out of thin air?? THEY GAVE THEM TO US to contact them. We currently contact them. That’s how business these days work.
Not everyone that sends you a e-mail is selling a “Grow Your Pee-Pee Pill”.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 9:45:57 PM EDT by CeramicGod]

Well simple...
See its that easy.

What an idiot.
If I wanted to go into the junk e-mail business I would have asked that question.
That's how this forum thing works. You got to figure this stuff out BEFORE you post.
Sorry but I don’t think you are qualified to discuss the e-mail needs of my business.
I didn't grab e-mail addys out of thin air?? THEY GAVE THEM TO US to contact them. We currently contact them. That’s how business these days work.

Right right, it's called solicited electronic marketing as I said before. These 8,000 folks are clamoring for your junk. If you contact the credit card companies sending you junk, they'll invariably say you signed up for it at one point or another as well.

Anyways, spend your money, setup your mail server (if you can figure it out), and reap the Real Time Blackhole listings for all your effort. w00t!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:46:39 PM EDT
Exactly, if this guy is a spammer he'll be blackholed inside of a week. I have no problem helping him load the gun if he wants to shoot himself in the foot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:50:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HarryStone:
You're going to have a hard time finding a cheap circuit like DSL or cable that will let you send that amount of mail, and if it goes down you're just one of the nameless rabble that's calling in because you can't surf as far as the ISP is concerned. If you have 8000 customers that need to get your email, it does sound rather odd that you're running that business on a cable modem. It's time to upgrade your internet connection.

Call your local telco and get a T1. Buy a router (cisco) and configure it or have the telco provide one. Buy low end server hardware for your own mail server. You can download a linux distro with sendmail and that will send all the mail your circuit will handle. There are guides on the net on how to set it up, it's not that big of a deal if you understand the basics of how email and DNS works. You'll probably have to tweak things like mail queue timing in the sendmail configuration to handle that kind of load. Again there's guides for that, google is your friend. When you get your circuit installed, get your mail server up and then make the MX record change with whoever hosts your DNS. It will take a day or two to propagate and you'll be in business. You should really consider putting the mail server behind a firewall, and you'll need to keep sendmail updated on that machine to protect it from whatever the exploit of the month is. There are lots of different ways to do this, but if you just need a mail server to handle a large volume of mail, this is probably the simplest way to go.

If you don't want to mess with it yourself you can probably have a networking company do it for you, the company I work for charges about $90 an hour for this stuff, more for configuring routers and setting up an Exchange server to talk to your linux mail server. I'd be glad to help but I can't moonlight, sorry.

Thanks for the offer!!!
This seems like one of those times where it is better to pay someone to do the job and just sit back and watch!!! I am just trying to gather intel to have an idea of what they will be talking about.
The T1 seems like it is going to be the way to go for the long haul. I have also looked into having another company send out our e-mails however they were like $200-300/month. We figured we could go the T1 route and pay somewhere around the same $$$ without relying on someone else.
Crazy thing is that we never had any issues using the cable (RoadRunner) for sending out bulk, but recently they had some changes to this market and the commercial accounts all received a 100 email/day limit. Who knows why?? Must be spam!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:59:12 PM EDT

Well simple...
See its that easy.

What an idiot.

Right right, it's called solicited electronic marketing as I said before. These 8,000 folks are clamoring for your junk. If you contact the credit card companies sending you junk, they'll invariably say you signed up for it at one point or another as well.

Anyways, spend your money, setup your mail server (if you can figure it out), and reap the Real Time Blackhole listings for all your effort. w00t!

Wow... You really are not that bright.
Tell ya what...give me your e-mail and i'll put you down on our list.

Now go whore someone elses thread...I'm finished with you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:59:38 PM EDT
Yeah, it's spam. They're trying to cut out the amount of spam coming from their networks to keep themselves from being blackholed. That's why they proxy you through one of their own servers rather than letting you send directly.

You're gonna pay somewhere around $500 to $1500 a month for a T1, depending on what the market is like down there. They're cheaper in a metro area and more expensive in a rural area generally.

Be aware that if you are planning on sending spam, you'll have a static IP and you really can't hide from that. Don't bother to spend a bunch of money on this if it's not legit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:02:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 10:04:52 PM EDT by CeramicGod]

Well simple...
See its that easy.

What an idiot.

You're the one asking for IT assistance on a gun related website on how to send spam, not I.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:02:59 PM EDT

A good server (actual hardware) and MS Exchange Server Software (Probably some type of Corporate Edition) to go with it. That will be a good start. It won't be cheap, though. That is a lot of volume in one day.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:04:31 PM EDT

A good server (actual hardware) and MS Exchange Server Software (Probably some type of Corporate Edition) to go with it. That will be a good start. It won't be cheap, though. That is a lot of volume in one day.

Yes, that is correct - for high volume mail you want to use MS Exchange!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:06:33 PM EDT
Using Exchange just to send lots of internet mail would be a waste of money for licenses, and would require more hardware than linux and sendmail. Exchange is good for what it does but it's not the right choice for just SMTP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:08:00 PM EDT

Using Exchange just to send lots of internet mail would be a waste of money for licenses, and would require more hardware than linux and sendmail. Exchange is good for what it does but it's not the right choice for just SMTP.

Expand please.....I am curious...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 10:17:12 PM EDT by HarryStone]
Between 2003 server and exchange 2003, you're gonna need a gig of ram to keep it from swapping like crazy, especially with that kind of load. You're going to need more disk space since they're both so fat on disk, especially with that kind of mail load.

Then, Exchange is like $700, and server 2003 is $1000. That's $1700 (maybe $1500 street) before you've even bought hardware.

You can buy something like RedHat ES for $300 and still get support, and then put it on a $600 Dell and have lots of money left over to put more ram and disk in your Dell.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:15:50 PM EDT

Between 2003 server and exchange 2003, you're gonna need a gig of ram to keep it from swapping like crazy, especially with that kind of load. You're going to need more disk space since they're both so fat on disk, especially with that kind of mail load.

Then, Exchange is like $700, and server 2003 is $1000.

Stop helping spammers!

Exchange is the perfect solution for high volume business email needs, specifically when it is solicited!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:18:55 PM EDT
If this guy is a spammer, he's not going to buy a mail server anyway. He'll run an app on his windows XP box that generates the spam and sends it without a mail server.

He's not gonna buy a T1 anyway when he realizes he can't send spam from it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:24:11 PM EDT
Email sent.

As for everyone screaming he is a spammer. Till you know exactly what he is doing you dont know.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:24:29 PM EDT

Well simple...
See its that easy.

What an idiot.

You're the one asking for IT assistance on a gun related website on how to send spam, not I.

Yes, and I DID find help, although not from the likes of you.
See this is a forum for people who enjoy a certain hobby.
This should not be confused with say a Firearms Industry forum (you know people in the firearms industry). If it were I would not come here in hopes of getting my question answered as they would surely not know anything about this topic (as they work in a different field). That said the people on this site are from all occupations…Some are teachers, some are Doctors, and behold some even know exactly what I am looking for.
This is how this internet forum thing works.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:33:24 PM EDT
You could put all this talk of spam to rest if you just explained what your business is. If you're sending out 8000 emails a day, I imagine you want people to know about your business. What is it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:37:31 PM EDT

You could put all this talk of spam to rest if you just explained what your business is. If you're sending out 8000 emails a day, I imagine you want people to know about your business. What is it?

IM sent out to you and FieroLoki
I still don't think anyone has a legit need to send out 8000+ emails
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:45:08 PM EDT
Yeah I know wireless, I used to work for a company named Brightpoint, you may have heard of them.

Find a networking company in your area, give them a call. You don't need to know all the details of how this works, tell them what you need and have them give you a quote.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:59:21 PM EDT

Yeah I know wireless, I used to work for a company named Brightpoint, you may have heard of them.

Find a networking company in your area, give them a call. You don't need to know all the details of how this works, tell them what you need and have them give you a quote.

HA who doesn't know of them!!!
I have worked with them on and off for several years now. We (via our China division) supplied some product for them fairly recently. You still keep in touch with the guys over there?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:04:33 AM EDT
I would bet the e-mailing list at my work is easily 4,000+ and our customers are world wide.
We have our mail server but we are getting a T1 line soon. The price for T1s has come way down, I think we got quote something like 200 bucks a month.
E-mail is a great way for us to keep our customers personally up to date on things around here. Our calender of events is somewhat flexible with new things added all the time. We just did a a conventional mailing of a hard copy of our calender to DZs around the world that was 300 envelopes. No way we could reach our customers like that.
No one hates spam more than I do but I can easily see a legitimate use for 8,000 e-mails.
Top Top