Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:02:20 PM EDT
Well, after getting fed up with IE consistently locking up on me, I downloaded Firefox 1.5

Holy crap, much faster, and I love the setup.

Bye bye IE
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:06:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:07:02 PM EDT
its too bad you just got it now, firefox is kinda on a downward slope....going the way that IE-6 did.

I still use it though, until something better comes along
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:07:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WILSON:
Where do you get Firefox 1.5? How much room does it take up?

www.mozilla.org
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:17:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:23:45 AM EDT
Anything is better than IE. I've been running Netscape Navigator 7.2 for quite some time and it performs well. Best part is I now longer get "virus detections" (which are then removed by Norton) like I did when I ran IE. Microsoft should be ashamed for releasing such a crap product.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:25:52 AM EDT
Tabbed browsing kicks ass.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:29:34 AM EDT
The biggest complaint is/was that Firefox is a memory hog (something about there being a memory leak).

I've been using it for about 6 months now and like it vastly more than IE or Netscape (I'm using 1.0.6).

The only problem I seem to have with it is that it will freeze up on me when I try to open Flash embedded .MOV files.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:30:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By photokirk:

+1

Im on version 1.0.7, damn Im missing somehting better?

[ARFCOM learned knowledge] Watch out, Firefox leaks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:36:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By photokirk:

+87
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:04:16 AM EDT
I've been using Slimbrowser for a couple years now and I like it better than Mozilla. It's basically a total conversion of IE, but it's way better than IE. And it has tabs!!

www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:06:10 AM EDT
Welcome to the 21st century.

I ditched IE the first chance I got, years ago...almost everything is better than that P>O>S.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:15:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 8:17:15 AM EDT by warlord]
Be aware that using Firefox won't alliviate getting various viruses because the hackers have adopted their programs to Firefox. I've been experiencing some pop ups lately on Firefox because I think the hackers can see the actual source code for Firefox and program around them.

BTW-for you folks using Netscape Navigator, this is just a variation of Firefox with different "skins." Check out the the "about" and you will see the company acknowledge Mozzila Firefox. Netscape Navigator is not the same as old version 5, this is about the time Netscape was taken over by Time Warner, and they fired all of Netcape programmers.

For the Firefox users, I found that you can minimize the memory leakage by disabling the automatic display of the "download" manager. If you don't do that, Firefox could freeze when you use up 280MB of memory. The only to unlock Firefox and release this memory, is to close down Firefox entirely thru the Taskmanager.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:16:44 AM EDT
I like firefox better and it's all I use now but it is not faster then IE by any means.

It's actaully a bit more bloated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:49:22 AM EDT
Firefox is great a lot better than IE, used to be a lot more secure but things always catch up still more secure than IE and they roll out updates for it regularly. It does not take up much room, also it lets you use tabs and that kicks ass. It is no where near being on a downward spiral either more and more people use it each day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:56:00 AM EDT
go get the adblock extension and if you can handle it, noscript.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:00:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:
I like firefox better and it's all I use now but it is not faster then IE by any means.

It's actaully a bit more bloated.

+1

Firefox runs slower than IE on both of my machines, but with the tabs and better security, I use firefox to browse for pron art.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:03:01 AM EDT

Microsoft should be ashamed for releasing such a crap product.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:15:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:21:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:

For the Firefox users, I found that you can minimize the memory leakage by disabling the automatic display of the "download" manager.

Care to enlighten a 'techno-dunce' on how to accomplish that?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 9:30:36 AM EDT by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By osprey21:

For the Firefox users, I found that you can minimize the memory leakage by disabling the automatic display of the "download" manager.

Best way to accomplish that is just download Opera...

Firefox sucks... poorly written crap.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:33:32 AM EDT

On the tool bar at the top of the browser, click on tools>options>downloads, 1/3 the way down the page, uncheck the box with "Show Download Manager window when a download begins."

You can manually activate "download manager" if you feel that you need it by clicking on the tool bar at the top of the browser, and click on "tools" and in the drop-down menu select "downloads."

This will not entirely eliminate the freezing of Firefox, but it will at least help minimize the memory leakage problem. You should monitor Firefox with Task Manager, and if the memory useage gets to be what you think is excessive, close down all the Firefox windows and restart Firefox.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:34:28 AM EDT
Max_Mike: I've had the same memory leakage problem with Opera also, plus I get that advertisment in the upper right hand corner.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:40:22 AM EDT
Thanks, warlord.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:43:59 AM EDT

On the tool bar at the top of the browser, click on tools>options>downloads, 1/3 the way down the page, uncheck the box with "Show Download Manager window when a download begins."

You can manually activate "download manager" if you feel that you need it by clicking on the tool bar at the top of the browser, and click on "tools" and in the drop-down menu select "downloads."

This will not entirely eliminate the freezing of Firefox, but it will at least help minimize the memory leakage problem. You should monitor Firefox with Task Manager, and if the memory useage gets to be what you think is excessive, close down all the Firefox windows and restart Firefox.

Also, if you need to see the download manager in firefox, just hit 'control J' That opens and closes the download window.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:45:50 AM EDT
IE 7 beta 2 is fun. All the same goodness of Firefox
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:46:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 9:49:06 AM EDT by Max_Mike]

Max_Mike: I've had the same memory leakage problem with Opera also, plus I get that advertisment in the upper right hand corner.

Maybe you ought to download a version that is not over a year old. Opera has not had a ad supported version for all most a year.

There is no appreciable memory leak in current version of Opera and NO ads.

Firefox sucks...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:48:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bastiat:
Also, if you need to see the download manager in firefox, just hit 'control J' That opens and closes the download window.

Yep, that would also work. But I don't activate the screen for "download manager" too often, because Firefox will notify you when it finishes downloading.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:55:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:58:01 AM EDT
I made the switfh to FF a long long time ago, and then went to Opera, once the ad free version came about, haven't looked back since.
Top Top