Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:28:36 PM EDT
I'm new to wheel guns other than the basic revolver like Ruger single six and .44 mag. What is the problem with an internal lock? I've seen a lot of people post here saying they would never own a gun with one. What's the deal?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
it is an unneeded part that is put on to appease libs and trial lawyers.  I need to get around to removing the one on my raging bull.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
it is an unneeded part that is put on to appease libs and trial lawyers.  I need to get around to removing the one on my raging bull.

Does it become a problem while using the gun? Is it a safety you have to somehow manually operate to fire the gun?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it become a problem while using the gun? Is it a safety you have to somehow manually operate to fire the gun?

No, but some feel they can be activated unintentionally and render the gun useless at the time you need it most.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
on my pistol it is a little key operated button that pops up and keeps the hammer from moving, I played with it a couple times just to see how it worked and left it unlocked from there on out.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but it seems to lower the value, since so many are so against the lock that they devalue the current, "locked" weapons, and drive up the value of "pre-lock" weapons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It was originally invented so ghey scared people could identify each other by their ghey pistols.  The ghey identifier can also be found on long arms including some Remington rifles and shotguns.  Unfortunately it spread to multiple weapons and manufacturers so it only identifies a ghey gun company and not a ghey gun owner.  

It was further voluntarily placed by manufacturers as a secret way to exclaim you are to freaking stupid to operate or store a firearm safely.  Some states may require this ghey add-on as a way for politicians to urinate on your rights.  Water-sports fanatics may specifically attempt to buy firearms that have internal locks in them.  

One company for example, Smith and Wesson, makes internal locks mandatory for you pathetic nasty scum sucking irresponsible civilian gun owners, while providing it as an option for responsible law enforcement members (M&P).  Fortunately, gun owners are PDP (pretty damn pathetic) as a whole because most are to CS (chicken shed) or LZ (lazy) to join the NRA and don’t mind having these devices placed on their weapons.  

I think it is a great because, as we all know, the only way to safely store a firearm is unloaded, integral and manual safeties on, disassembled and in a police headquarters storage facility that you do not have access to.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The argument proposed was (at first) that the lock might accidentally engage when you very-much didn't want it to. I don't remember any claims that this has been a problem, at least with the S&W locks.

Also I think that LE could still get some S&W models without the extra lock, could they not?..... seems like I remember someone complaining about that.

I just kinda wish the S&W's didn't have the "Trademarcos Registradas" or whatever-the-F on there. Not that I am hating on Mexicans or anything--just wondering why S&W thought it was important???....
~
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just kinda wish the S&W's didn't have the "Trademarcos Registradas" or whatever-the-F on there. Not that I am hating on Mexicans or anything--just wondering why S&W thought it was important???....
~

I believe it is latin for "registered trademark."  The words "Smith & Wesson" are a registered trade mark in the US Patent Office.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think it is a great because, as we all know, the only way to safely store a firearm is unloaded, integral and manual safeties on, disassembled and in a police headquarters storage facility that you do not have access to.  

True story/conversation that occured between myself and a female police officer that came to my house to investigate something:

HER:  Is that loaded [pointing to my 45]

ME:  Yep

HER:  Where's your gun lock?

ME:  What the hell good is a gun with a lock on it?

HER:  You have kids in the house!

ME:  Right, which makes a loaded gun necessary to protect them.

HER:  You can unlock a gun lock.

ME:  Sure can.  Hopefully I can get the keys, remove the lock, insert the mag, chamber a round, and elimante the threat before they slash my daughter's throat.

HER:  Well, that's being paranoid.  You shouldn't have a loaded gun around kids.

ME:  You DO know that my kids would out shoot you, don't you?  Especially with that POS Glock you have.

HER:  It doesn't matter if they know about guns or not.  Guns are dangerous around kids.

ME:  Gotcha.  Thank you, ma'am, for the reminder.  I will make sure I keep it locked up and unloaded from now on.  I can always throw it at any intruder...

HER:  Thank you.  You're much safer with it unloaded.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
^ Guess she didn't catch your sarcasm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think she was smart enough to catch anything short of an STD.  She was the school resource officer...  I feel so safe knowing my kids get to be protected by someone looking at a cocked 1911 and asking if it's loaded...  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True story/conversation that occured between myself and a female police officer that came to my house to investigate something:

ME:  Sure can.  Hopefully I can get the keys, remove the lock, insert the mag, chamber a round, and elimante the threat before they slash my daughter's throat.

HER:  Well, that's being paranoid.  You shouldn't have a loaded gun around kids.

ME:  You DO know that my kids would out shoot you, don't you?  Especially with that POS Glock you have.

HER:  It doesn't matter if they know about guns or not.  Guns are dangerous around kids.

ME:  Gotcha.  Thank you, ma'am, for the reminder.  I will make sure I keep it locked up and unloaded from now on.  I can always throw it at any intruder...

ME: If I were not so afraid of intruding on God's bailiwick, I would sodomize you, and 9 months later from your anus there would fly organisms with human bodies and your face, armed with tiny whine-saws which would be useless until you, the Ur-Bitch of the entire race of halfbreed freaks, used a special key to unlock their vile little jaws.

HER: Well said.

ME: I bow before you, my queen.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have demanded that she immediately unload and lock her gun.  Hell you should have even offered to loan her a trigger or cable lock if you had one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have demanded that she immediately unload and lock her gun.  Hell you should have even offered to loan her a trigger or cable lock if you had one.

She was the only one in my living room professional enough to carry that Glock 40.

I have never once ever bashed a cop, but this one was a fucking idiot.  Cute, but stupid.  I'd of hit it.  But I'd never allow her to touch her friggin gun unless I was three miles behind her.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't think she was smart enough to catch anything short of an STD.  She was the school resource officer...  I feel so safe knowing my kids get to be protected by someone looking at a cocked 1911 and asking if it's loaded...  

Hey I was a school resource officer.  Not all SROs are tree huggers, but working in schools you can get a little brain washed    

I hate the internal locks.  Was recently looking at purchasing a revolver but just can not overlook the lock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey I was a school resource officer.  Not all SROs are tree huggers, but working in schools you can get a little brain washed    

I hate the internal locks.  Was recently looking at purchasing a revolver but just can not overlook the lock.

No offense bro!  I don't judge the many because of the actions of the one
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
  There are a few "ones" out there.  

edit My nine year old daughter can give me a run for my money with a scoped 10/22.  Now if I can get her mom to open the check book up for that pink AR.  

I heard that sometimes those internal locks can be over powered/broke and cause the gun to be unfunctional.  Not sure if its true, never tried it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top