Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 7:30:13 AM EDT
When people say they don't like a certain food what exactly do they mean?

Let's take broccoli for example.  Lots of people, including George H. Bush, stated they don't like it.  But why?  What are they really saying?

I ask because broccoli is great for the body, the eyes, and general cell structure.  It is full of vitamins and minerals which the body needs and wants.

Yet people say they don't like it.  What part of them doesn't like it?

The answer of course is the tongue.  The tongue decides what the body will and will not eat, even though the body may have different needs!

Who put the tongue in charge of what we do with and put in our body?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#1]
its mostly becuase it tastes bad... and even if its good for you would you eat something that tastes horrible all the time?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello

Yes taste does play a roll - but so does smell - and there is a direct link.  They did a study on the sense of smell to reduce people from over eating, and it was noticed that if a person inhales the aroma of chocolate and chocolate is enjoyable to them - it reduced the hunger feeling.

my 2 cents :)

I love Brocolli though - but I hate brussel sprouts - thats on taste though - they are just disgusting lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what the hell you're talking about...

So here's a woman with a cabbage on her head.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hello

Yes taste does play a roll - but so does smell - and there is a direct link.  They did a study on the sense of smell to reduce people from over eating, and it was noticed that if a person inhales the aroma of chocolate and chocolate is enjoyable to them - it reduced the hunger feeling.

I love Brocolli though - but I hate brussel sprouts - thats on taste though - they are just disgusting lol

That's is very true about smell.

Plus studies have shown that smell and taste can recall memories.

I just find it odd because other animals use smell and taste alot more than humans do.  Humans rely more on sight and hearing.

And men will eat stuff that taste bad......

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And men will eat stuff that taste bad......
Sgatr15

so do animals. for instance dogs eat kitty crunchies
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. contain a chemical, I'm not sure what it's called, that tastes bitter. Some, like brussells sprouts, contain more than others, like spinach.

This chemical is not universally detected by taste buds. You need a genetic predisposition in order to taste the chemical. If you cannot taste it, you have no problem with the flavor or smell of those vegetables. If you can taste it, the smell and flavor are bitter and repulsive. The more sensitive you are, the worse it gets. I can eat raw spinach just fine, but cooked... *shudder* Broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts contain more of the chemical, and since I'm highly sensitive to it, I can be made to vomit at the mere smell of those vegetables being steamed, much less trying to eat them.

My childhood meals were full of horrible gagging and retching sounds until my mother remembered a science experiment she did in high school and put a drop of weak solution on my tongue to see if I was sensitive to the chemical. I was. The weakest concentration she had had me doubled over choking in the sink. She put the stronger ones away without testing them.

If I can figure out what the name of it is, you can probably pick up a weak solution of the stuff for testing, put a drop on your tongue, and see how sensitive to it you are.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]
vegetables....yuck...I get my greenery by proxy
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I do believe we've entered a new realm of Post Whoredom: Random Inconsequential Thoughts.

BTW I don't like the taste, smell or texture of cooked mushrooms. Canned mushrooms either. NASTY. I like raw mushrooms and fried ones. That's about it for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#12]

i dont like mushrooms either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an ex who is a picky eater, it's not the taste but the texture of the food
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I can control what my wife's body does using my tongue.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#15]
For me it's often the *texture* of the food that gets me , as well as taste.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1. I vehemently dislike calamari just because of the texture.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For me it's often the *texture* of the food that gets me hr

My girlfriend hates creamy foods.  ALL  kinds  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#18]
+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so no

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that sucks
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that sucks

apparently she doesn't

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that sucks

apparently she doesn't

SGatr15

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
so no

Sgtar15

Is really a food?  I would say it is more of a condiment
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Its important to wear a condiment when eating veggies
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
so no

Sgtar15

Is really a food?  I would say it is more of a condiment

If done properly it can be a side dish.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hello

I like both
but my sense of smell over rules my sense of taste with whiskey....cant even give sense of taste a chance before sense of smell causes gaggin
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
its mostly becuase it tastes bad... and even if its good for you would you eat something that tastes horrible all the time?

That's because people don't cook broccoli right, most of the time it is overcooked, and like a good steak, when it's overcooked, will probably taste yucky.  Asian broccoli unlike American broccoli tastes much better. Asian broccoli is more like a leafy veggie than a American version.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Some people don't like food based on psychological reasons. I know a guy who hates fruit. He drinks fruit juice, and has actually eaten and orange, and LIKED it, but he won't eat another one. He's fucked in the head, really.

Anything green? Forget it, he won't touch it.

Order say, chinese? He asks if what's he's ordering has veggies in it. He basically only eats chicken wings or teriyaki beef or something. He's strange.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#29]
There are certain food that men are predispositioned to eat more of than women.  One of them is sardines.  So I guess this means if you don't like sardines, you are a p****.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top