Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2003 3:39:24 PM EDT
While I don't necessarily agree with the changes made to the board (primarily I think that even the non-paying members should get some limited form of search capability), there is one thing that I've noticed about the folks complaining about the membership fees; for the most part, a majority of the loudest (as it were) or most obnoxious responses to the membership features changes are from people who spend most of their time posting in General Discussion [b]ONLY[/b].

I didn't bother reading many of the posts, but I did a little searching on a dozen or so of the people who've been vocal or nasty about complaining about the changes. I can't comment on the quality of their posts (since that's subjective anyway), but how much of contributor to the board community is someone who only posts to non-firearms related discussions on a firearms board?

At least one of the users I searched on has NEVER posted to anything but GD in 500 posts. I realize that the places someone posts isn't a measure of their commitment to anything, but if they don't participate in the technical discussions, or even in the hometown forums, how much of a "member" are they?

In brief, consider the source of the complaints when deciding if they represent the users of this board.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You won't see me complain... I miss the features but don't think I'm in any position to determine how the people who make this site happen should run things.

That said, the utility of the site as a free user is down to the point where you have to wonder if new users will know the value.

I can't find anything any more, including posts I've made or track conversations. After a last post is more than a few days ago it might as well not be there any more. New users may never see value in this site beyond the political opinions of people who apparently live behind keyboards and postulations about how society will collapse and what to pack for it.

The only thing holding me back from registering is something that takes this site beyond a message board. Things like the ammo faq and other articles written from expertise are valuable... my constructive comment is to suggest throwing out General and Hometown and put more articles/faqs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You won't see me complain... I miss the features but don't think I'm in any position to determine how the people who make this site happen should run things.

That said, the utility of the site as a free user is down to the point where you have to wonder if new users will know the value.

I can't find anything any more, including posts I've made or track conversations. After a last post is more than a few days ago it might as well not be there any more. New users may never see value in this site beyond the political opinions of people who apparently live behind keyboards and postulations about how society will collapse and what to pack for it.

The only thing holding me back from registering is something that takes this site beyond a message board. Things like the ammo faq and other articles written from expertise are valuable... my constructive comment is to suggest throwing out General and Hometown and put more articles/faqs.
View Quote

Oh sure, no general discussion. Or general firearm discussion. That would be SO much fun.

I've been around this site for awhile, and believe me, it wouldn't be the same without the General board.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You can find your own posts under "My Topics".

You can also subscribe to a post you are interested in and it will email you when it is replied to.

If you are so "worried" that new users will not see the functionality of the board, perhaps you should take your lunch to work for one week and send in the $20.00 you save and contribute to the board.

Then you can really champion the cause. No one ever changed anything about any organization from the outside.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You can find your own posts under "My Topics".
View Quote

That particular function has to actually [b]work[/b] to be useful.
I've posted several responses this weekend on various threads[b](Jan 4&5[/b] and have yet to see any of them listed in [b]MY TOPICS[/b].

I also agree with DavidC on limited search for [green]non paying member$.[/green] Hell even a 15 day window is better than no window  at all.

it's  very annoying to start reading a thread on a Friday evening then go out to dinner and come back an hour later to see threads disappear into the abyss.

[i]edited to say i had to spell check my work through my server[/i]

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
gee i had it in my mind that the MY ""TOPICS"" feature was for finding "threads" that "YOU" started. NOT threads that you "replied" to. Gee I guess thats why they call it "My topics" [;D]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
'My Topics' only gives you threads that 'you' started. Not ones that you added to. For the most part it's useless, I see no reason to drop the 'My Active' function. Non-Paying members well certainly loose track of posts they have added to without it. To save on server resources would it not be possible to limit a 'My Active' to a 24 hour basis for non-payers? Oh, and before all you 'join the club and pay the 20 dollar guys' jump in, I certainly intend to pony up the bucks for my membership. I use the site often enough to warrant contributing.

Though, I've not used the 'search' function much, and my spelling could use checking... :), I think 'My Active' is essential for all users, paying and non. And to lower server resources, why didn't 'Active Topics' get removed from non-payers as well? Seems to me, that would waste server resources nearly as much as 'My Active'.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If you spend any time at all in the GD forum you will observe that somehow a lot of the threads are firearms related. What I have noticed about some of the threads regarding the membership issues is that those who have chosen to pay for the extra services seem to feel a little superior to those who have not. News flash "Team members"; Your money is not a donation to support the site. You are getting extra services (a product if you will) for your money. It has been established that those extra services cost money to provide. Those of us who have chosen not to pay may not feel the need for the extra services. BTW Dave, shouldn't this be in the GD forum?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you spend any time at all in the GD forum you will observe that somehow a lot of the threads are firearms related. What I have noticed about some of the threads regarding the membership issues is that those who have chosen to pay for the extra services seem to feel a little superior to those who have not. News flash "Team members"; Your money is not a donation to support the site. You are getting extra services (a product if you will) for your money. It has been established that those extra services cost money to provide. Those of us who have chosen not to pay may not feel the need for the extra services. BTW Dave, shouldn't this be in the GD forum?
View Quote

I actually bothered to look a the threads that the complainers were posting to; almost all of them were true GD topics.

As far as the services available, I elected to support this site with $$ when there were no services offered that were of any value to me (I don't really need additional email accounts or photo hosting, I do all those things on my own servers).

And you aren't one of the folks bitching about the changes in a nasty and patronizing way; you've made your choice and accept it.

And yes, this should be in GD; I didn't even notice that I started the thread in the wrong forum.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I came here for the Build It Yourself forum and I stay here for the GD forum.  BTW Bitching about bitching is pretty bitchy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#10]
While I haven't read all the posts in this thread (I'm a little busy at the moment)

I think even the non-paying membership should have a search button. It would at least keep a lot of the repeat threads from coming up over and over again and save some bandwidth.

Just my unwanted .02! [beer]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#11]
i haven't been around here long but as soon as i saw that i could make a contribution i did, i joined as a bronze member,( i'm pretty poor) and i feel good about it.  i'm new to ar's and i am biulding my first now,  with all of the valuable info i gained and important questions i got answered here, there is no telling how much money i saved.

now, enough ass kissing...

i still can't use the search feature, kinda pissed about that, but i'll live.

BTW how do you get the team ar15 thing below your name?? is that for the high end contributors?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I think getting rid of the search feature for nonmembers is nonproductive.  The alleged reason was to free up system resources.  But now you are going to get tons of repeat posts of the "Aimpoint v. Eotech" or "Is chrome lined beter?" variety.

You might also be a little disapointed in the fact that the staff had originally said that paying membership would only add features, and that features would not be removed for nonpayers.

Of course, if you were cynical and knew that was BS in the first place you would not be disapointed.  It would in fact be somewhat satisfying as another way of affirming your cynical belief system. [:D]

It is their board.  Don't like the rules, be they stupid or unfair, your only option is to play elsewhere.  Or pay up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#13]
DP14 - When your payment has been processed, you will automatically get the avatar and search function.  In fact, it will happen immediately, even if you're currently browsing the site when the change is submitted.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I actually bothered to look a the threads that the complainers were posting to; almost all of them were true GD topics.

As far as the services available, I elected to support this site with $$ when there were no services offered that were of any value to me (I don't really need additional email accounts or photo hosting, I do all those things on my own servers).

And you aren't one of the folks bitching about the changes in a nasty and patronizing way; you've made your choice and accept it.

And yes, this should be in GD; I didn't even notice that I started the thread in the wrong forum.
View Quote

I have no problem with a person making a living. I know Goatboy isn't getting rich off this site. If you provide a service you should get paid for it. So, you won't find me complaining about the site changes and various levels of membership. If and when I feel the need for the extra services I may very well up grade my membership. Some of the paying members remind me of the Frat boys I knew in college. If you don't pay, you aren't their friend. I may be some kind of an a**hole but not so much of one that I need to pay to have friends. Some paying members also really get a pack mentality when a non paying member expresses his disagreement with the changes. That's their right I suppose. Frankly the complainers annoy me a bit as well but I don't have any desire to debate my opinion with them other than to say that the people who own this site have made a difficult decision and their decision should be respected. When you are getting free stuff, you don't have a lot of room to complain. The GD comment was just a cheap shot. I'm not that anal. Happy trails David, no worries between you and me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top