Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 2:23:39 PM EDT
I looked in my road atlas, and saw this box next to the line of Interstate 19 south of Tucson:

"I-19 uses metric mileposts. Exit numbers are in kilometers.  On this map, distances on I-19 are shown in miles."

Why metric?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
So the illegals will know how far they have gone?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I drive around there a lot, and it's true: It's all metric.

I don't know why.  My guess is that it is a left over from the switch to metric movement way back.

Maybe it has something to do with the rez?

I dunno.

I always wonder that too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
My mom went to school in the 60's and 70's and they always told her "You have to learn metrics because one day the whole world is going to be metric." but, the only times I see metrics in use is in science, written on our pop bottles, or displacment on car engines.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Because Aztlan will use metric measures and they're just getting started making the switch.

I'm serious.

And you ought to go shopping in our grocery stores and department stores - bilingual signs everywhere. Not just with Spanish written in small letters underneath but with Spanish and English in equal size type and sometimes even Spanish written FIRST and English underneath.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Because Aztlan will use metric measures and they're just getting started making the switch.

I'm serious.

And you oughta go shopping in our grocery stores and department stores - bilingual signs everywhere. Not just with Spanish written in small letters beneath but Spanish and English in equal size type and sometimes even Spanish written FIRST and English underneath.

Interesting.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm serious.

And you ought to go shopping in our grocery stores and department stores - bilingual signs everywhere. Not just with Spanish written in small letters underneath but with Spanish and English in equal size type and sometimes even Spanish written FIRST and English underneath.

It is true, a lot of stores are like that - but I don't think the metric system in that particular spot is a Aztlan subversion of our signs.

I think it has a even dumber reason, just don't know what it is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm serious.

It is true, a lot of stores are like that - but I don't think the metric system in that particular spot is a Aztlan subversion of our signs.

Yeah well there's not much dumber than Aztlan.

No matter what though, I'm sure it has something to do with its proximity to Mexico.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm serious.

Yeah well there's not much dumber than Aztlan.

No matter what though, I'm sure it has something to do with its proximity to Mexico.

+1.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I looked in my road atlas, and saw this box next to the line of Interstate 19 south of Tucson:

"I-19 uses metric mileposts. Exit numbers are in kilometers.  On this map, distances on I-19 are shown in miles."

Why metric?

It's for all the Mexican truckers that make deliveries to Tucson.

Apparently, it's easier to cater to them and use metric distance instead of them dealing with US markings for a few miles.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why metric?

It's for all the Mexican truckers that make deliveries to Tucson.

Apparently, it's easier to cater to them and use metric distance instead of them dealing with US markings for a few miles.

Yeah, AZ prefers to cater to filthy illegals.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]
"Yeah well there's not much dumber than Aztlan."

that is not true. we are paying(our tax dollars) them to take over our country. sounds like a smart plan to me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I almost creamed a car with Sonora plates on the 60 a few years back.

I was heading home from work and was cruisin' along at about 80 ish, and spotted the reflectors (no tail lights) on a beat to shit car.

I slammed on the brakes and ended up slowing to about 35MPH. Guess what that is? About 57 KPH. Welcome to Arizona, we speak fucking English here, and our speed limits are in MILES PER HOUR!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was heading home from work and was cruisin' along at about 80 ish, and spotted the reflectors (no tail lights) on a beat to shit car.

I slammed on the brakes and ended up slowing to about 35MPH. Guess what that is? About 57 KPH. Welcome to Arizona, we speak fucking English here, and our speed limits are in MILES PER HOUR!

So you're saying the speed limits south of Tucson are in KPH, not MPH?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

'Scuse my language, but
YOU'RE FUCKING KIDDING ME, RIGHT?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

'Scuse my language, but

no and its fucking annoying
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
If the distances are METRIC, then they are not MILESTONES are they?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

'Scuse my language, but

no and its fucking annoying

That's
pretty
stupid.

And people wonder why we get pissed off about illegals?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
hehe you said query
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
hehe you said query

Ummm...I don't get it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hehe you said query

Ummm...I don't get it.  

LOL... pronounced QUEER-y

Get it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

'Scuse my language, but

Nope...that is how it is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
hehe you said query

Ummm...I don't get it.  

LOL... pronounced QUEER-y

Get it?

ohhhhhhhh, I get it now.

Thanks M_M!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Pleased to be of assistance, young feller!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My mom went to school in the 60's and 70's and they always told her "You have to learn metrics because one day the whole world is going to be metric." but, the only times I see metrics in use is in science, written on our pop bottles, or displacment on car engines.  

Don't I feel old now... Graduated HS in 1978.

So, is your mom hot?  

(Don't tell my wife I asked)  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#27]
So I was going south on I19 to Nogales, about 110 mph, doing the limit.....

Wait, the signs are metric
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hey! I was a year old in 1978.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My mom was 16!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too...

I love to fuck with the old folks at work....

Eight Track? What the hell is that?

Bwa hahahahahahah!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too...

I love to fuck with the old folks at work....

Eight Track? What the hell is that?

Bwa hahahahahahah!

you're going to hell for that.

8-TRACK FOREVER!!!

eta:fine.. fixed it!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'm serious.

Tell 'em about the commercials on TV Mac, and not just on the spanish channels. TELL 'EM!!

AB
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

your going to hell for that.

8-TRACK FOREVER!!!

My what is going to hell?

Your = possesive. Your ass, your AR

You're=contraction of "you" and "are", thus the apostrophe. You're going to hell for your smart assed remarks about 8-tracks. You're also a spelling nazi....

I hate the commercials in spanish. I also hate going to Phoenix--where all the billboards are in Espanol.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

8-TRACK FOREVER!!!

You're=contraction of "you" and "are", thus the apostrophe. You're going to hell for your smart assed remarks about 8-tracks. You're also a spelling nazi....

I hate the commercials in spanish. I also hate going to Phoenix--where all the billboards are in Espanol.

You're lucky I don't use 1337 sp34k.

lol almost did it again!  I usually don't use proper punctuation, capitals, correct sentance structure, or even the right words for that matter when posting on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

8-TRACK FOREVER!!!

You're lucky I don't use 1337 sp34k.

lol almost did it again!  I usually don't use proper punctuation, capitals, correct sentance structure, or even the right words for that matter when posting on the internet.

Yeah, I try not to fall into that too much. Would be a bad thing to have pop into my work correspondence...

And yes, I am a grammar nazi even in real life!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top