Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 8:38:10 AM EDT

http://212.77.1.245/news_services/press/vis/dinamiche/e1_en.htm
It would appear that Pope BXVI is taking the first steps towards bringing the SSPX back into full communion with Rome. The excommunications of 4 bishops has been nullified. This of course, is only the beginning of a long path, but and interesting development nonetheless.

"According to the faculties expressly conceded to me by the Holy Father Benedict XVI, by virtue of the present decree, I remit the censure of excommunication latae sententiae, pronounced by this Congregation on July 1st, 1988, from Bishops Bernard Fellay, Bernard Tissier de Mallerais, Richard Williamson, and Alfonso de Gallareta and, as of this day, I likewise declare void of juridical effects the Decree published at the time." - Card. Giovanni Battista Re
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting... is this group related to the group Mel Gibson's father is into, or is this another faction espousing similar ideals?  I honestly don't keep up with this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, this was founded by Archbishop Lefebvre. It was very traditional, but  was excommunicated for elevating four priests to bishops without the Pope's approval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_St._Pius_X

As I understand it  Lefebvre didn't teach incorrect doctrine, but was at odds with what he believed to be overly liberal elements in the curia and so he bypassed some of the papal approval processes for his organization and raising bishops that could carry on his order's work.

I believe that Pope Benedict has helped them reconcile to the full communion with Rome and is tring to repair some of the former ostracizing of traditional elements of the Church. Besides reconciling with SSPX, the Pope has also elevated the role of the Latin Tridentine Mass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It is always good news when someone returns home to Mother Church.  Who wants to be next?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, this was founded by Archbishop Lefebvre. It was very traditional, but  was excommunicated for elevating four priests to bishops without the Pope's approval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_St._Pius_X

As I understand it  Lefebvre didn't teach incorrect doctrine, but was at odds with what he believed to be overly liberal elements in the curia and so he bypassed some of the papal approval processes for his organization and raising bishops that could carry on his order's work.

I believe that Pope Benedict has helped them reconcile to the full communion with Rome and is tring to repair some of the former ostracizing of traditional elements of the Church. Besides reconciling with SSPX, the Pope has also elevated the role of the Latin Tridentine Mass.

Having been around friends who were members of the SSPX in St. Mary's, KS, I can tell you that there is more than just Lefebvre's bypassing of canon law in ordaining the men.  The SSPX rejects Vatican II in principle, claiming that since it is not a doctrinal ecumenical council, it carries no authority.  They conveniently ignore the Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation (Dei Verbum) and also Lumen Gentium.  

Perhaps they have softened their stance on Vatican II, since the problem wasn't the Council itself, but the fact that it has basically been either ignored or abused for the past 40 years.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very interesting... is this group related to the group Mel Gibson's father is into, or is this another faction espousing similar ideals?  I honestly don't keep up with this stuff.

Mel Gibson's father belongs to the Society of St. Pius V, which is a sedevacantist group that makes the SSPX look like liberals.  They claim that the chair of Peter has been vacant since Pope St. Pius V died (no valid pope since then).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top