Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 3:44:56 PM EDT
Well I hunt my cousin's ranch(2 brothers own it) and had an interesting weekend.
Dove season overlaps deer season(bow) here in TX, so I managed to see 12 does no bucks.
But I managed to get 7 doves and a cow on an abreviated hunt before hunting deer.

Now having 2 cousins that own a ranch is a luxury but I have never figured out why they have an aversion to putting a cow down. They will send it to the butcher but put one down themselves??

When I arrived they had a cow with hardware problems(proubly swollowed plastic bag or a peice of metal) And asked me to use their 30-30 to put her down. One shot to the head with a 150 grain remington down like a sack of potatoes and coui de gra with 2 45 colt hand loads.

Sick cows make for great ammo testing.

(bad boys song) Dead cow, dead cow...watcha gona do when they don't go moooo??????
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope you got a couple of steaks out of it
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well I hunt my cousin's ranch(2 brothers own it) and had an interesting weekend.
Dove season overlaps deer season(bow) here in TX, so I managed to see 12 does no bucks.
But I managed to get 7 doves and a cow on an abreviated hunt before hunting deer.

Now having 2 cousins that own a ranch is a luxury but I have never figured out why they have an aversion to putting a cow down. They will send it to the butcher but put one down themselves??

When I arrived they had a cow with hardware problems(proubly swollowed plastic bag or a peice of metal) And asked me to use their 30-30 to put her down. One shot to the head with a 150 grain remington down like a sack of potatoes and coui de gra with 2 45 colt hand loads.

(bad boys song) Dead cow, dead cow...watcha gona do when they don't go moooo??????

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Weirdos.

I used my VEPR K to put one down with cancer in her face.  Damn thing looked normal on one side, was 2x the size on the other.  One behind the eyeball, lights out Bessie.  Just like an AT AT that got whacked in Star Wars...

The blood was POURING from her fat ass nose, it was literally like a hose was turned on.  

My Dad never could hit the brain on a cow to save his life, and prefers to spine shoot them in the neck.

I can't hit the spine to save my life, so I knock em in the head.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Bovine of Truth?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Cow o' Truth?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
For those wondering about what has made the .....

Bovine Approved list:

30-06 sp&fmj
30-30 sp
270 sp
AK47 fmj
300 savage sp

all the above is through the forhead

Hand gun cartidges must be used through the side are

44 mag
45 colt
357mag
45 acp
22 lr
357sig

I had the chance to try the nosler 44 mag partions when they first came out. When shot through the forhead of a hefer, all the cow did was cross it's eyes. Post mortom recovery of 6 44mag rounds found the jacket sheded from the core resulting in NO penitration of the skull. I had the chance to give the rounds to the nosler rep and this resulted(supposed according to him) in a small redesign of the bonding process. Worked on the next hefer that expired of gun smoking.

BTW this was collected data over 35 years of ranching and tow truck service helping(car, steak, call, bang, freezer).
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
22 mag to the neck, cow dies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
12 gauge to the face.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dad said they used a sledge hammer for cows on my Grandpa's farm.  But for pigs they used a .22 rifle which I have now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top