Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2006 7:23:22 AM EDT
Recieved this through an LE email news letter I get. Thought I'd share.

Here's the story.

"Those drawstings are a real pain in the ass!"

All,
  This incident involves a Sheriff’s Deputy in Louisiana this past week.  He went to the range and was shooting with a raid jacket (with a draw string) as their policy dictates.  He was using a paddle holster with his duty carry weapon and often uses the same holster for duty carry.
  He completed the qualification, reloaded the weapon for duty carry and holstered his weapon at the range.  When he holstered his weapon the draw stri! ng attachment became lodged in trigger guard.  This deputy then went some period of time and went home.  When he removed the paddle holster the draw string pulled tight and discharged the weapon with the firearm in the holster.  The deputy was shot in the outer thigh and buttocks.  The deputy will be fine.

Definitely a freak accident, but something we should all be aware of, as we shoot with similar jackets.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Owww !. I hate it when that happens

Glad the Dep. will be okay.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#2]
My agency got an alert about this.  Truly an accidental discharge.  But this is what can happen when a pistol has a five-pound, short draw trigger and no external safety.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#3]
OUCH !!!! That IS a FREAK accident!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Fired from holster... UNREGISTERED AOW!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you expect, it's a Glock
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Aaaaaaand the thread goes downhill from here..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But this is what can happen when a pistol has a five-pound, short draw trigger and no external safety. people use gear that gets in the way of their paddle holster.

Fixed it for you.  The cop holstered his weapon with a DRAWSTRING inside the triggerguard.  He was on the gun range.  What, he couldn't check to make sure he re-holstered properly?  I always do.

Operator error. Not the pistol's fault in any way.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#9]
By true definition of the word "accident" this doesn't fall into the AD category.  It was an ND.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
By true definition of the word "accident" this doesn't fall into the AD category.  It was an ND.

So even if you noticed the problem, how do you fix it without setting off the gun?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess he wasn't the only one in the room professional enough to carry a Glock fo-tay.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Of course it was an accident, and thus an AD.  But I'd probably agree with you that was also an ND.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn, can you imagine his shock? He must have been jumping around like the proverbial cat on a hot tin roof. F-in' ouch.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#15]
It was GWBs fault, like everything else that happens in my state
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Drawstring jackets should be banned for the children.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So even if you noticed the problem, how do you fix it without setting off the gun?

Um take out yer trusty pocket knife and cut the damn drawstring if need be.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Another Glock.....figures.

From now on, "ND" will no longer be applicable when discussing Glocks.

The new terminology will be " NP " .....for Negligent Purchase.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Well here's another Ouch!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Another LEO did something similar.  Took a dump and pulled his pants up. Something  caught the Glock on the way up and BAM!  But it went through the stall door and almost nailed another LEO in the bathroom.  At least he didnt have any problems with constipation.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't care who you are, part of safe CCW is making sure that your clothing works with your weapon set up.

But I guess sometimes, agency policy can turn out to be a real pain in the ass.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't blame the gun, it operated just as it should have.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remove it from the holster.  The cord wouldn't pull BACK on the trigger in that case.

In LE the training is generally that officer should be able to re-holster 1 handed, without looking away from the "threat" or "area of responsibility".

My guess is that after the pistol was drawn, and possibly fired, the "string" ended up in or near the holster. When the officer went to re-holster, his hand was on the outside of the gun, the string on the inside. As the gun was inserted into the holster, with the regular resistance from the holster, the string tangled, and the "knob" applied pressure to the trigger.

BLAM.

Not sure what you guys are thinking or describing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, crazyness.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
When he removed the paddle holster the draw string pulled tight and discharged the weapon with the firearm in the holster.  

Reading comprehension is fundamental.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I understand the basics of gun safety (20+ years with no NDs/ADs), but I also understand human nature.  Everybody has the occasional brain fart.  My problem with the Glock is that it has ZERO tolerance for error.  If the officer had been carrying a 1911, the discharge would not have happened, because the grip safety would have prevented the pistol from firing.  If he had been carrying the pistol that I carry, a S&W 4586, the discharge would not have happened, because even though it has no external safety, it has a ten-pound trigger with a longer stroke.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I guess he wasn't the only one in the room professional enough to carry a Glock fo-tay.  

www.gossipish.com/images/DEAdude.jpg

that is a 9mm
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Cleaner thanks for posting this.  I will take this in the spirit it was posted, as a bit of advice or caution so fellow AFRCOM members don't suffer the pain and embarressment the the officer did.  So stop picking on the gun and stop picking on the officer, it can happen to any of us.

When it comes to firearm safety we'er never to old or experienced to listen to a new lesson.  When we shut our brains to these new lessons is when we get hurt.  Thank god there was no one behind the officer when he had his AD.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I have always run the excess cord back through the lacing so nothing could get hung up. I never thought that it could save me from shooting myself until this thread.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

does posting in larger colored font make you feel better as a person?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#35]
One thing you guys are missing, The officer did not have his raid jacket on properly.  

If the draw string was used as designed, the plastic lock at the end of the draw string should have been tight against his body with nothing but the bungee hanging down.  

Since he did not have the draw string pulled tight, the plastic lock got lodged in the trigger guard and caused the ND.  If the uniform would have been worn correctly this would not have happened.  

Don't blame the Glock, Don't blame the jacket, Blame the officer for not wearing the jacket correctly and not ensuring his weapon was holstered properly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

HaHaHa!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I agree with what you're saying Ponyboy, but maybe I've just seen too many people who only fire their pistols twice a year for qualification to be comfortable with the idea of them being issued a pistol that is that fault-intolerant.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

lol +1 was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#39]
This would not have happened if the Glock had an external safety.  [
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Another LEO did something similar.  Took a dump and pulled his pants up. Something  caught the Glock on the way up and BAM!  But it went through the stall door and almost nailed another LEO in the bathroom.  At least he didnt have any problems with constipation.

How the hell could that happen?

Was he wearing a holster that exposed the trigger? Or was he "playing" with the gun whiole on the can, reholstered it & failed to see it was caught on something? And in order for it to contract the trigger it would have to have been caught on something that moved away from the holstered weapon.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This would not have happened if the Glock had an external safety.  [

Or a brain...

...& made sure to wear his jackewt properly & reholster the weapon without anything in the trigger guard.

I'm getting pretty sick of hearing people bash the glock because it doesn't have an external safety as they deem it.

If you can't take the responsibility of making absolutely sure the condition of your weapon & what may or may not be in the trigger guard, then perhaps you have to have the external safety just in case you need a "do over" to compensate for your sloppy weapon handling skills.

I hate quoting movies but this is just choice:
Steele: I'm talking about your weapon, soldier. Now Delta or no-Delta, that's still a hot weapon. Your safety should be on at all times.
"Hoot": This is my safety, sir.
[He holds up his index finger and bends motions as if squeezing a trigger and then walks off]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Drawstring jackets should be banned for the children.

Actually they are a known hazard for kids who ride school buses. There have been several accidents where kids have been killed or injured when there drawstrings got hung-up when exiting the bus.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#44]
No Such thing as an AD.

This is very clearly a case of ND.

His gun went off because it was a gLock.  Nothing else.

Have we not learned a thing about Kabooms?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#45]
if it was an XD  this would not have happend
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
My agency got an alert about this.  Truly an accidental discharge.  But this is what can happen when a pistol has a five-pound, short draw trigger and no external safety.

Here we go, its the guns fault again............  Goddamn Glock just reached out and nabbed that drawstring and injured an innocent civilian in the process.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Another reason to like the thumb safeties on my custom 1911s.  

1911  =  Worry free 4 lb triggers.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
No Such thing as an AD.

This is very clearly a case of ND.

Of course there are ADs.  Of course, almost all ADs are NDs.

This AD is very clearly a case of ND.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top