Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 5:30:10 PM EDT
Wife and I were walking our dogs today.  We do this daily, around the neighborhood, which is a typical south Florida suburb, houses packed tight, sidewalks in front of the houses, about 20 feet from the front of the house and their garages.  We have a 60 pound Sheltie/Shepherd mix who is a goofball and is great with people and other dogs.  Our other is a full-blooded Collie, about 75 pounds, very tall and big, but a bit shy around people (was beaten and abused/neglected for 6 years) but loves small dogs.

So, I usually carry my Glock 26, but today I didn't.  Just decided not to.  Maybe it was a good thing I didn't today.

We walk past one house with aan open garage door - someone was obviously working on their car.  Suddenly out of the garage charges this large white dog, looked like an albino german shepherd.  He was "huffing" and coming right at th e dog I had (the sheltie-shep).  My dog didn't growl or raise hackles, and my wife got a hold of the Collie (who was in a passive position).  I immediately knelt down and started calmly talking to the other dog while holding my hand out.  He came up, stopped, started sniffing our dog.  Two guys came out of the garage, yelling for the dog to come back.  Eventually he did.

So, what would you have done given the same situation?  If I had been armed, I think I might have instinctively drawn, and if so I don't know what the outcome might have been - I wouldn't have shot immediately, but I wonder what the reaction of the two guys would have been?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Draw Down.....it's the only option for the children to be sure to get both from orbit.

Did that help?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
May have reached for my Sabre OC/Tear Gas spray ....Dont know that I would have drawn a gun in that situation.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two dogs, German Shepherd and a Beagle. I go through this every time they see another dog. But mine are the ones that want to fight.

Athough sometimes other dogs charge emm first. I just grab my dogs and pull emm away and go about my way. Usually after the first attack if the other dog doesnt have a owner nearby to pull emm off he'll run away.

With a beagle distracting him by alot of barking and a few small bites and my GS downright attacking him usually the other dog gets enough quick. (Sheperd is 95 pounds btw, pretty decent size IMO).

I always feel terrible that my dogs are like this but im not sure how to break emm. I just apoligize and try to stay far from other dogs.

PS: Dont ever shoot another mans dog unless he is attacking you and you have to stop him. Even then I'd only if the owner wasnt around.

I dono how you feel about your dogs but if someone shot one of mine cause they where fighting with there dog I'd be very pissed.

Dogs fight, shit happens. If both owners have there dogs on leashes it should be avoided easily, if not the person who's dog is running free is in the wrong.

Im very hesitant about ever shooting someones dog if they are around. Some people love there animals more then they love there family members, some people have 10k invested in there dog. (My friend has around $8,000.00 in his).

And my moms cousin willed everything he owns to his dogs. *Cough*, all the money goes to taking care of the dogs. His kids get very little

My mom cannot control our GS though, also it takes some experiance to break up a bad dogfight without getting bitten. So if the other dog owner is a female and has a big dog give her some slack.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
worst thread ever.    This doesn't even sound like anything.  You walked your dog and another dog came running out of an open garage door?  Holy cows!!!  I can't believe it, things must be really slow in Florida today.

bump for this important philosophically tactical question about something that happens 10 million times a day around the country.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
worst thread ever.    

Nope not even close.

"Tubgirl" comes to mind.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Im glad it worked out for you the way it did. Personaly i would never get down to face level with a  charging dog. If the charging dog got within range i would have OC it. No lasting damage done to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I

PS: Dont ever shoot another mans dog unless he is attacking you and you have to stop him. Even then I'd only if the owner wasnt around.

I dono how you feel about your dogs but if someone shot one of mine cause they where fighting with there dog I'd be very pissed.

Im very hesitant about ever shooting someones dog if they are around. Some people love there animals more then they love there family members, some people have 10k invested in there dog. (My friend has around $8,000.00 in his).

FWIW, The reason I am not in jail now is because nobody ever tried to harm the late SEC, with one exception. He got kicked once 'accidentally'. It's the ONLY SEC story I have not posted. A young man got an expensive lesson in manners. Although my recon sources say I am not in any trouble criminally, It'll be a LONG time before I DO post the tale for civil court reasons.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what insurance is for

A co-worker told this story about walking his dog. He was on a trail and another woman came in the other direction with her dogs. He shortens the leash and and makes room for her, then greets her when she is close by. She doesn't respond so he says "well, aren't you going to say something?" She half  turns and displays a knife. He yells at her "is that a knife? I 've got a knife too you  F$#%$#@ C%&$. Why don't you come back here?!"  She runs off screaming as he continues to hurl abuse in her direction.

He was totally in the wrong but it was funny to hear him tell it. He's convinced he can't get a CCW because he is from the Modocka (more darker) Tribe. Yes he has issues. I didn't argue.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I

FWIW, The reason I am not in jail now is because nobody ever tried to harm the late SEC, with one exception. He got kicked once 'accidentally'. It's the ONLY SEC story I have not posted. A young man got an expensive lesson in manners. Although my recon sources say I am not in any trouble criminally, It'll be a LONG time before I DO post the tale for civil court reasons.

When the time comes i hope im around to hear about this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
worst thread ever.    This doesn't even sound like anything.  You walked your dog and another dog came running out of an open garage door?  Holy cows!!!  I can't believe it, things must be really slow in Florida today.

bump for this important philosophically tactical question about something that happens 10 million times a day around the country.

Well, aren't YOU just a ray of smegma-covered fucking sunshine today?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
You are wise to take my posts with a grain of salt.

440 posts and not one constructive or important thing to contribute yet!!! I must keep the streak alive.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Lawyer Up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You are wise to take my posts with a grain of salt.

440 posts and not one constructive or important thing to contribute yet!!! I must keep the streak alive.

ROFL!

Hmm, I think you are in some pretty exalted company here, too!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep my dogs close but I never pull them away from an approaching dog, this provokes an attack response in what is probably just a getting aqainted action. A simular thing happened to me today, I kept my smaller beagle behind me, my greyhound was larger than the other dog which had raised it's hackles and seemed aggressive. I bent over to pick up a pinecone and that convinced the mouthy dog to go away.

If a dog is genuinly aggressive then pulling a dog away will solve nothing, if it is just displaying pulling a dog away may provoke it to attack the "retreating" dog. Most dogs will run if you bend down to pick up something to throw. For a large dog that means business, well better remember that glock!

Just my observations.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A co-worker told this story about walking his dog. He was on a trail and another woman came in the other direction with her dogs. He shortens the leash and and makes room for her, then greets her when she is close by. She doesn't respond so he says "well, aren't you going to say something?" She half  turns and displays a knife. He yells at her "is that a knife? I 've got a knife too you  F$#%$#@ C%&$. Why don't you come back here?!"  She runs off screaming as he continues to hurl abuse in her direction.

He was totally in the wrong but it was funny to hear him tell it. He's convinced he can't get a CCW because he is from the Modocka (more darker) Tribe. Yes he has issues. I didn't argue.

Funniest shit I've heard all week.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

people these days.  if you're terrified to be outside, don't be outside.  don't take your fear out on other people around you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top