Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2011 5:29:15 AM EDT
Link to Wired - Unfollowed: How a (Possible) Social Network Spy Came Undone

It started out with a leggy, bikini-clad avatar. She said she was a missile expert — the “1st Lady of Missiles,” in fact — but sometimes suggested she worked with the CIA. With multiple Twitter and Facebook accounts, she earned a following of social media-crazed security wonks. Then came the accusations of using sex appeal for espionage.

Now everyone involved in this weird network is adjusting their story in one way or another, demonstrating that even people in the national security world have trouble remembering one of the basic rules of the internet: Not everyone is who they say they are.

“I think anyone puts pictures out online to lure someone in,” the woman at the center of the controversy insists. “But it’s not to lure men in to give me any information at all… I liked them. They’re pretty. Apparently everyone else thought so too.”

This is a strange, Twitter-borne tale of flirting, cutouts, and lack of online caution in the intelligence and defense worlds. Professionals who should’ve known better casually disclosed their personal details (a big no-no in spook circles) and lobbed allegations they later couldn’t or wouldn’t support (a big no-no in all circles). It led to a Pentagon investigation. And it starts with a Twitter account that no longer exists called @PrimorisEra.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:33:35 AM EDT
you mean not everyone on the social networks are honest???
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:34:56 AM EDT
Snowleopard?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:38:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2011 5:41:52 AM EDT by Spade]
At somepoint in the last two years a defense writer security guy created a female facebook account. Put up some racy pictures, filled the profile full of defense related interests and fake jobs. Started conversations, all that stuff.

He ended up getting a lot of important "friends", gathered a good bit of intel, and got offered a few jobs.

People should know better.

http://science.dodlive.mil/2010/07/21/the-dangers-of-friending-strangers-the-robin-sage-experiment/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Sage
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/18/fictitious-femme-fatale-fooled-cybersecurity/

Note the part about being offered jobs. Remember that the next time somebody working high level in government/defense says something retarded and you wonder who recruited them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:46:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bowman1:

It started out with a leggy, bikini-clad avatar. She said she was a missile expert — the "1st Lady of Missiles,” in fact — but sometimes suggested she worked with the CIA. With multiple Twitter and Facebook accounts, she earned a following of social media-crazed security wonks. Then came the accusations of using sex appeal for espionage.

Now everyone involved in this weird network is adjusting their story in one way or another, demonstrating that even people in the national security world have trouble remembering one of the basic rules of the internet: Not everyone is who they say they are.

"I think anyone puts pictures out online to lure someone in,” the woman at the center of the controversy insists. "But it’s not to lure men in to give me any information at all… I liked them. They’re pretty. Apparently everyone else thought so too.”

This is a strange, Twitter-borne tale of flirting, cutouts, and lack of online caution in the intelligence and defense worlds. Professionals who should’ve known better casually disclosed their personal details (a big no-no in spook circles) and lobbed allegations they later couldn’t or wouldn’t support (a big no-no in all circles). It led to a Pentagon investigation. And it starts with a Twitter account that no longer exists called @PrimorisEra.

Primorski?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:47:23 AM EDT
I thought it was common knowledge that social networks are just elaborate CIA surveillance programs.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:48:56 AM EDT
useless w/o pics

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:50:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:50:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Spade:

Nice touch. Robin Sage is the name of the final training exercise of the Special Forces Qualification Course at Fort Bragg.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:54:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2011 5:54:42 AM EDT by Spade]
Originally Posted By kspengler:

Nice touch. Robin Sage is the name of the final training exercise of the Special Forces Qualification Course at Fort Bragg.

That was the reason why the guy picked it. He littered the profile with "this is fake as hell" flags and nobody noticed.

I'm not shocked that somebody apparently decided to really try it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:57:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By OnlineAllTheTime:
Snowleopard?

oh snap!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:01:36 AM EDT
missile expert, eh?

Red Rocket to the Rescue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:05:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Paul:
Did this happen again or is the story from last year?

Different.

Robin Sage was an experiment on Social networking done by a black hat.

This new one seems innocuous on the surface, but could have very easily been, or evolved into, something quite malicious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:10:20 AM EDT
Nice. Leg humping is the new social engineering. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:27:36 AM EDT

That was the reason why the guy picked it. He littered the profile with "this is fake as hell" flags and nobody noticed.

I love how he said he was a 25 year old MIT grad with 10 years of work experience. That's my favorite part.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:29:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By patchouli:
missile expert, eh?

I wonder if she could help fix my thrust problem...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:33:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2011 6:34:09 AM EDT by Fatbert]

Originally Posted By sterling18:

It started out with a leggy, bikini-clad avatar. She said she was a missile expert — the "1st Lady of Missiles,” in fact — but sometimes suggested she worked with the CIA. With multiple Twitter and Facebook accounts, she earned a following of social media-crazed security wonks. Then came the accusations of using sex appeal for espionage.

"I think anyone puts pictures out online to lure someone in,” the woman at the center of the controversy insists. "But it’s not to lure men in to give me any information at all… I liked them. They’re pretty. Apparently everyone else thought so too.”

Primorski?

Anna Chapman?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:40:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

I love how he said he was a 25 year old MIT grad with 10 years of work experience. That's my favorite part.

Sounds like the resume of the lead character on any of today's generic network TV shows.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:41:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

I think it is funny that people thought a female worked in cyber security. Everyone knows there are no girls on the internet.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:45:13 AM EDT
Loose hormones sink ships.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:49:13 AM EDT
damn- people are suckers
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:52:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VBC:
Loose hormones sink ships.

Loose Tweets Sink Fleets...hangs in my office
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:53:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
damn- people are suckers

no.. geeks are horny.

shit look at this place.. I could start a troll account, say I was a girl gunsmith that owns a 07/SOT. post some pic's I grabbed off the web. and BAM!

Id have you guys hook line and sinker.. the leg humping would be epic..
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:00:30 AM EDT
@PrimorisEra

Sounds similar to our Primosky.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:02:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SultanOfBrunei:
@PrimorisEra

Plot thickens, eh.

All that blackhat got from ARFCOM was getting gang-banged!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:18:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
damn- people are suckers

no.. geeks are horny.

shit look at this place.. I could start a troll account, say I was a girl gunsmith that owns a 07/SOT. post some pic's I grabbed off the web. and BAM!

You ever have a female toon in WOW?

I remember people just walking up and trying to give me stuff in EQ when I was playing a female toon...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:40:56 AM EDT
damn- people are suckers

no.. geeks are horny.

I was thinking the same thing.... it's not like it hasn't happened before.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:46:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Screechjet1:
Originally Posted By SultanOfBrunei:
@PrimorisEra

Plot thickens, eh.

All that blackhat got from ARFCOM was getting gang-banged!

I miss primo

I don't miss his threads about the latest greatest tier 6 soviet crap and leg humpers going nuts about it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:51:33 AM EDT
The most I say about work on Facebook is bitching when the air conditioner is dead.
Sadly, thats a lot of the summer.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:51:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I miss primo.

Which one?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:51:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Silence:

damn- people are suckers

no.. geeks are horny.

I remember people just walking up and trying to give me stuff in EQ when I was playing a female toon...

A guy I know uses only female characters in MMORPG's only for that reason.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:06:16 AM EDT
You mean...

They bought her a membership?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:13:10 AM EDT
If we all know that this is how the world works, and particularly the internets, then why is this so amusing? I admit it, I lol'ed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:31:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By -Duke-Nukem-:
If we all know that this is how the world works, and particularly the internets, then why is this so amusing? I admit it, I lol'ed.

Because it just... keeps... working. Every time. You could probably pull the same stunt with the smae group of people, and half of them would fall for it all over again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:02:46 PM EDT
People want to Teamspeak/Vent too much to pull that off these days. But if you can convince your GF to talk on the mic for a minute....

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:28:11 PM EDT

The word you're looking for is "mangina".
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:31:26 PM EDT

Not really. People just give him free shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:40:38 PM EDT

mangina: a guy playing a female toon in a MMORPG so they can get free shit

Yep, qualifies....
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:42:10 PM EDT

damn- people are suckers

no.. geeks are horny.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:44:49 PM EDT

Yep, qualifies....

I'd say that anyone who cares about a guy using a female avatar in a game is the "mangina". Sounds like they're seriously disappointed that the only female they met this month is a fake.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:46:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By patchouli:
missile expert, eh?

Purple heat seeking kind !
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:48:56 PM EDT
Well, at least now we know where femgungirl ended up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:51:19 PM EDT
Any forward deployed NDAs involved?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:52:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By caexpat:

Yep, qualifies....

I'd say that anyone who cares about a guy using a female avatar in a game is the "mangina". Sounds like they're seriously disappointed that the only female they met this month is a fake.

I don't care as much as think the whole mess is completely retarded.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:07:56 PM EDT
damn- people are suckers

no.. geeks are horny.

Especially if you are a " thick" girl.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:19:45 PM EDT

That reminds me of something that happened in my old EQ guild...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:01:31 PM EDT

That reminds me of something that happened in my old EQ guild...

that was common when i played. only game i play female characters on was demons souls for the female only item that gives 10% more souls per kill.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:07:43 PM EDT
damn- people are suckers

no.. geeks are horny.

I love how a new "girl" will post an introduction thread, which quickly fills to 10+ pages full of leg humpers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:13:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Coltman77:
damn- people are suckers

no.. geeks are horny.

Especially if you are a " thick" girl.

In that case you have a two-stage reaction whereby the 50% of us who say that she's fat only encourage the other 50% of leghumpers to further leghumping.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:23:24 PM EDT
some peoples children..
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:31:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sterling18:

Primorski?

My exact thought as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top