Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2017 2:38:38 PM EDT
A recent insurance study links increased car crash claims to legalized recreational marijuana.

The Highway Loss Data Institute, a leading insurance research group, said in study results released Thursday that collision claims in Colorado, Washington, and Oregon went up 2.7 percent in the years since legal recreational marijuana sales began when compared with surrounding states.

Legal recreational pot sales in Colorado began in January 2014, followed six months later in Washington, and in October 2015 in Oregon.

"We believe that the data is saying that crash risk has increased in these states and those crash risks are associated with the legalization of marijuana," said Matt Moore, senior vice president with the institute, which analyzes insurance data to observe emerging auto-safety trends.
View Quote
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/06/23/insurance-study-ties-legal-pot-to-boost-in-car-crash-claims.html

"but there's no real, definitive evidence or proof"
"but don't you love freedom?"
"it's as safe/safer than driking"
"people should allow people to use or do anything they want, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else"
"your'e just afraid of the pot needles"
etc.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not helping
I live in one of the hearts of legal pot. Hit a light pole last winter
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been assured by multiple ARFcommers that pot is absolutely, perfectly, safe and even makes you a more aware drive. This study is clearly wrong.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not helping
I live in one of the hearts of legal pot. Hit a light pole last winter
View Quote
while hitting a lit pole?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Duuuuuuuuuuude!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
During times of increased ice cream sales, there is an increase in shark attacks.

Correlation =/= causation
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been assured by multiple ARFcommers that pot is absolutely, perfectly, safe and even makes you a more aware drive. This study is clearly wrong.
View Quote
Cite one source of somebody telling you that?

<Banned (actually re-banned)--you don't get to reregister to avoid your ban using several accounts.  It's especially stupid to draw attention to yourself with continuous personal attacks on the good members, as that prompts staff attention. --tbk1>
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ah yes, because I keep a list of pot threads written down so I can cite them for 16ers who ask me to cite them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
During times of increased ice cream sales, there is an increase in shark attacks.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Potheads come out.  Potheads come out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ah yes, because I keep a list of pot threads written down so I can cite them for 16ers who ask me to cite them.
View Quote
Okay, then you lose. Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
2 years really isn't long enough to notice a trend.  Do a 10 year comparison, and then you'll have good numbers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, well that's like your opinion, man.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Okay, then you lose. Thanks for playing.
View Quote

Here you go, little Troll

Do I need to hold your hand and show you the post, too?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
An intoxicant causing an increase in wrecks?

Who slanders the Holy Weed?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#15]
don't care, it still shouldn't be illegal
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
In before there is no way to prove they are high at the time of the accident?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL.  In other news, Washington state is at a near all-time low in traffic deaths and ranks lower than almost every other state in deaths per vehicle miles travelled.  Please pray for us though, the carnage is unbearable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Im not a pot fan..but short of actual test on scene..meh...and I would imagine those who were going to use, were already using before the law changed......my guess..just another way for insurance companies to raise prices and deny coverages....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Pot needles.  Not. Even. Once.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread will go at least 9 pages.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
An intoxicant causing an increase in wrecks?

Who slanders the Holy Weed?
View Quote
Care to provide evidence that it is causing the wrecks? Or do I just have to accept your assumption as gospel?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#23]
What is driking?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, it IS a fact that pot still affects depth perception up to two days after use. Depth perception is kinda important for driving.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll drink to that...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe you should stick around on these forums a little more before trying to play this game.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#27]
But bro, pot solves all the worlds problems and cures cancer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#28]
According to GD pot either cures every disease known to man or permanently fries your brain after 1 hit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#30]
It was illegal to drive intoxicated before.

It's illegal to drive intoxicated now.

Are we saying that banning the *possession* of alcohol is a worthwhile tradeoff  to (maybe) eliminate a statistical blip?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder if the higher the normal amounts of rain and snow and road ice had any weighting in the study?

Or illegals being given ID's and allowed to drive, whereas a few years back they would always hit n run with no claim.

It's not like the insurance industry has a motive to release a study that would seem to justify higher premiums, amirite?

Stoned people probably do crash more than sober people, but pot should be treated like alcohol and cigarettes.  And it will, now that those states are seeing that extra tax revenue. No putting that genie back in the bottle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Ray Charles saw this one coming the day the first state decriminalized weed.

Insurance company studies are designed to do one thing and one thing ONLY and that is to make money for insurance companies.

Government studies for the most part are politically driven and many of them can be considered biased.

Much the CDC studies are designed to get more money and power for the CDC.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What is driking?
View Quote
What's a dikfer?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#34]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2006624_Drug-companies-trying-to-make-marijuana-pain-killers-.html

And their friends still want to profit off of what they say is acceptable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I posted a thread several weeks back. iirc they said pot is now the number 1 "drug" found in a persons system in fatal car crashes.
View Quote
What is interesting to note is that evidence of pot use stays in one's system for up to months after it is used.

It would be interesting to find out if the levels found after these crashes was high enough to render any kind of real incapacitation.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Let me guess...they blamed an accident on pot if the person had any detectable THC in his system, and not if he was actually high at the time of the accident

One interesting bit of info from the Castille shooting trial was when the coroner stated that it's impossible to tell someone's THC intoxication level if they're dead
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I see it coming! So......   IBTL.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

<Banned (actually re-banned)--you don't get to reregister to avoid your ban using several accounts.  It's especially stupid to draw attention to yourself with continuous personal attacks on the good members, as that prompts staff attention. --tbk1>
View Quote
Previous user names?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Let me guess...they blamed an accident on pot if the person had any detectable THC in his system, and not if he was actually high at the time of the accident
View Quote
That's not even a guess.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
So who was he originally?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Of course it does.  It's a fucking intoxicant.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
one of three that I have been waiting on.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Several, but I don't recall the names, as none were noteworthy members.  Just a troll, doing troll things.  
View Quote
<Removed -40xb>

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you give a statement, then when asked for an example, you pull that?  If you can't prove it, why say it?

Also, it sited a 2.6% increase.  Exactly how many is that?  And is that a reason to tell someone what they can or cannot Do?  

We already have DWI/DUI laws on the books. Find a way to conduct a field sobriety test for marijuana that accurately measures current intoxication, and let people who want to use it use it in their own homes, same as alcohol, where usage won't "pick your pocket or break your arm".
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
According to GD pot either cures every disease known to man or permanently fries your brain after 1 hit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm solidly in the "The only thing dumber than smoking pot is putting people in prison for smoking pot" camp.

Quoted:
Of course it does. It's a fucking intoxicant.
And naturally, the same relationship exists between legal gun ownership and shootings, right?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
one of three that I have been waiting on.
View Quote
same here.

and several people have said people with ee feedback usually aren't retreads

though I remember someone posted they investigated a retread's feedback, and got 4 troll accounts nailed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top