Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2002 2:55:45 PM EDT
I am curious about what all of you AR15.comers think about the concept of insurance, or how much you have. So many different kinds of insurance, car, homeowners, health, life, etc. Now there are TV commercials saying you need even more. My thinking is why not just take all of the money that you would give to insurance companies and put it into a bank account or low-risk stock/mutual fund or something. I don't really know about the numbers for home or business insurance, but I kinda figure that after a few years of saving, you ought to have enough money to protect yourself from most disasters. Not to mention that you don't have to worry about weather some insurance agent thinks your situation isn't covered, or whether the whole insurance company goes down the tubes after a major disaster. I remember after hurricane Andrew, lots of people were having trouble collecting on insurance claims for wrecked homes. I have also heard that hospitals and doctors will often charge only a fraction of the price if you can pay cash instead of collecting insurance money. What are your thoughts/experience on this?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally think it's a scam. Now, don't get me wrong, I have insurance on the house, cars, etc. What pisses me off is the fact that the ins co can do what they like. My ins co decided that they were not going to cover black mold claims anymore. So they dropped it from coverage and raised rates because they said they paid out so much last year for black mold claims. So, I pay more and get less. [rolleyes]

Let's not forget health insurance. I just recently went to the doctor for an ear infection. They flushed it out and wrote me 2 scrips. I got a bill last week from the dr office for $69. Apparently that was too much for the ins co to pay.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I personally think it's a scam. Now, don't get me wrong, I have insurance on the house, cars, etc. What pisses me off is the fact that the ins co can do what they like. My ins co decided that they were not going to cover black mold claims anymore. So they dropped it from coverage and raised rates because they said they paid out so much last year for black mold claims. So, I pay more and get less. [rolleyes]

Let's not forget health insurance. I just recently went to the doctor for an ear infection. They flushed it out and wrote me 2 scrips. I got a bill last week from the dr office for $69. Apparently that was too much for the ins co to pay.
View Quote

If you think you were screwed over by the ins company, call your states department of insurance and file a complaint. They usually will investigate. I know TX has a pretty agressive DOI. [url]http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top