Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2013 2:31:41 PM EST
I have been doing the BIAB with a keggle insulated with a 2" foam insulation "cap" and it might lose a degree in 90 minutes if that. Well I'm going to insulate my MLT keggel the same way and use a herms for any temp modulation if needed, ie no direct heat. Basically the keg is wrapped with 2" foam then any spaces filled with expanding foam-very temp stable.

So do I need a false bottom? It will have a bottom drain. I was just thinking a bazooka tube will keep the drain clear as I recirculate

I have a tig so I can build/add whatever I want.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:28:25 PM EST
You just need to be able to keep the grain out of the circulation. I would probably opt for a false bottom over a bazooka tube as personal preference though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:41:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:
I have been doing the BIAB with a keggle insulated with a 2" foam insulation "cap" and it might lose a degree in 90 minutes if that. Well I'm going to insulate my MLT keggel the same way and use a herms for any temp modulation if needed, ie no direct heat. Basically the keg is wrapped with 2" foam then any spaces filled with expanding foam-very temp stable.

So do I need a false bottom? It will have a bottom drain. I was just thinking a bazooka tube will keep the drain clear as I recirculate

I have a tig so I can build/add whatever I want.

Thanks
View Quote

I would strongly go with false bottom over bazooka in a HERMS, you need all the flow you can get.

Question, have you thought really hard on whether HERMS is the best thing to try next? That is a lot of set up to get right...I thought about it but I think it was lower on the list than other stuff, given how much it would ACTUALLY help my finished beer come out better (not much, IMO). From what I have discussed with other folks, it is not really easy to use HERMS to step mash (at least the 122 to 150 type large step)--takes a long time. But I admit I haven't done that much research into it yet.

Nothing wrong with having a fun toy, though! Just make sure your beer is up to "enjoyable" stage first!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:43:55 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By skin290:

I would strongly go with false bottom over bazooka in a HERMS, you need all the flow you can get.

Question, have you thought really hard on whether HERMS is the best thing to try next? That is a lot of set up to get right...I thought about it but I think it was lower on the list than other stuff, given how much it would ACTUALLY help my finished beer come out better (not much, IMO). From what I have discussed with other folks, it is not really easy to use HERMS to step mash (at least the 122 to 150 type large step)--takes a long time. But I admit I haven't done that much research into it yet.

Nothing wrong with having a fun toy, though! Just make sure your beer is up to "enjoyable" stage first!!
View Quote
I don't understand what the enjoyable stage means but I think I'm past that.

I went with the false bottom and I did the 1st couple batch spares and the last was a fly sparge. I dont think it was that much of a step up. Put water in a mash tun, add grain, flip motor on the pump and recirculate until it hit the temp. Just gotta keep the HLT couple degrees warmer and its a no brainer. My insulated mash tun only looses a couple degrees without the recirculation but the control is nice to have.

As far as the large steps, I tried a protein then a sac rest, 122 to 154. One the mash tun was 122, I hit the HLT burner, took about 7 minutes to get it to 165, then cranked the pump. The temp was up to 154 in a couple minutes in the mash tun.

I will say this, until I got by burner table build and a pump wired and in place with all the hoses cut, it was a huge PITA. I burned myself moving stuff, switching hoses, and generally having a half assed setup. Now that I have my burner table with individual burners, seperate mash tun, Its easy as hell to brew some beer. You add 12-14 gallons of water, get your temp, hit switch, let the water flow then monitor. Im not automated at all but its pretty damn simple.

The finish beer doesn't and hasn't changed. It just a lot easier now, and I can make 10 gallons for the same pain as 5 gallons- hence the reason I fo'd.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:33:09 PM EST
It should allow for a more consistent process which means better beer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:40:37 AM EST

I went with the false bottom and I did the 1st couple batch spares and the last was a fly sparge. I dont think it was that much of a step up. Put water in a mash tun, add grain, flip motor on the pump and recirculate until it hit the temp. Just gotta keep the HLT couple degrees warmer and its a no brainer. My insulated mash tun only looses a couple degrees without the recirculation but the control is nice to have.

As far as the large steps, I tried a protein then a sac rest, 122 to 154. One the mash tun was 122, I hit the HLT burner, took about 7 minutes to get it to 165, then cranked the pump. The temp was up to 154 in a couple minutes in the mash tun.

I will say this, until I got by burner table build and a pump wired and in place with all the hoses cut, it was a huge PITA. I burned myself moving stuff, switching hoses, and generally having a half assed setup. Now that I have my burner table with individual burners, seperate mash tun, Its easy as hell to brew some beer. You add 12-14 gallons of water, get your temp, hit switch, let the water flow then monitor. Im not automated at all but its pretty damn simple.

The finish beer doesn't and hasn't changed. It just a lot easier now, and I can make 10 gallons for the same pain as 5 gallons- hence the reason I fo'd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Enjoyable as in "don't have to shudder and wince a little when you drink it" (I have had 2 of my early ones and multiple other people's brew like this!)

A couple of minutes for that step is the opposite of what was conveyed to my by someone that had a HERMS--obviously he was doing it wrong...Sounds like it may be worth having...I am going to revisit the idea because I would like to have the programmable steps myself...

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:18:25 PM EST
Enjoyable as in "don't have to shudder and wince a little when you drink it" (I have had 2 of my early ones and multiple other people's brew like this!)

A couple of minutes for that step is the opposite of what was conveyed to my by someone that had a HERMS--obviously he was doing it wrong...Sounds like it may be worth having...I am going to revisit the idea because I would like to have the programmable steps myself...

View Quote
Ive have yet to have a beer that was undrinkable. Ive had some that I didn't like because of the flavor, but they were good beers none the less.\

Mine is not run on a PIDs either, just watch a thermostat and manual on/off with gas

Top Top