Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:55:47 PM EDT

Okay, I installed Debian on an old box to use as a server.  I did the default server install, and now I'm looking at installing an X window system.  I've set up X-windows manually once before, but it was on Red Hat 5.0, and a loooong time ago.  Now, on the linux installs I've done, the installer is so good it configures everything automatically...so I haven't had the experience I need to set this old box up properly.

It's only a 300mhz PII with an SiS 6326 8mb on-board AGP video system, so I'd like to use a lightweight window manager like fluxbox, although I'd be willing to try other window managers if anyone has suggestions.

The problem I'm running into is I'm not finding a good guide to installing X using apt-get.  I'd prefer to use Xorg over XFree86, so that's another issue.

Most guides I am finding either don't use apt-get or don't use Xorg.  Any suggestions where I should look for help?

Jim
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
i think the reason debian is so stable, its because it doesn't use a gui interface.   kinda like dos.   it didn't lock up.   there is less to go wrong  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Well, the default workstation install for Debian does use X.  I could just reformat and install as a workstation, but I'll only really learn something about the system if I go through the process semi-manually.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I gave up and reinstalled Deb as a workstation.  I still have to mess with the X configuration, because it isn't giving me the video modes I want, but now I can at least see how X is supposed to work.

I can always load the server modules later, or re-install once I understand the config issues.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top