Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 4:47:10 PM EDT
I want to make an old laptop as fast as possible and only use it for internet, but I'd also like to be able to boot to XP.

How do I delete what I installed, re partition, then install xubuntu?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:15:12 PM EDT
ok...so i deleted a partition I shouldn't have, but it wasn't the c drive. This is on an old laptop that does not have anything critical on it but I'd like to get back to where I was before I started screwing around with it. Booting from the XP cd didn't work but booting from the ubuntu cd works fine. XP wouldn''t open in safe mode and i got the blue screen, and when I put the xp cd in it said "set up is configuring your hardware then the screen went blank. Would wiping everything then reinstalling xp work?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:19:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2013 8:22:45 PM EDT by sanitywarped]
You should be able to repair your xp install by using your xp CD.  If that doesn't work, reinstall xp(though I would suggest upgrading if only because of security).  Then I would suggest you download parted magic live CD and resize the xp installation so you have enough room to install Ubuntu.

You can followthis to repair xp
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:39:12 AM EDT
If you want to wipe/reinstall both:

Use Gparted, etc to wipe/create 2 partitions.  Install XP first on one partition.  Then install xubuntu on the second partition.  When booting, pick which OS to boot into with Grub.
Top Top