Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 4:47:10 PM EDT
I want to make an old laptop as fast as possible and only use it for internet, but I'd also like to be able to boot to XP.

How do I delete what I installed, re partition, then install xubuntu?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
ok...so i deleted a partition I shouldn't have, but it wasn't the c drive. This is on an old laptop that does not have anything critical on it but I'd like to get back to where I was before I started screwing around with it. Booting from the XP cd didn't work but booting from the ubuntu cd works fine. XP wouldn''t open in safe mode and i got the blue screen, and when I put the xp cd in it said "set up is configuring your hardware then the screen went blank. Would wiping everything then reinstalling xp work?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to repair your xp install by using your xp CD.  If that doesn't work, reinstall xp(though I would suggest upgrading if only because of security).  Then I would suggest you download parted magic live CD and resize the xp installation so you have enough room to install Ubuntu.

You can followthis to repair xp
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to wipe/reinstall both:

Use Gparted, etc to wipe/create 2 partitions.  Install XP first on one partition.  Then install xubuntu on the second partition.  When booting, pick which OS to boot into with Grub.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top