Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:15:04 PM EDT
here it is 2AM and wide awake.  I have periodic battles with stress and work induced insomnia.  Came home from a 2 week mission to Singapore recently, logged almost 75 hours and was a mess.  Flight Doc gave me 3 Ambien tablets..  They worked fine but Im back off schedule.  Civie job is bugging me, the holidays, kids mom back in the hospital for another surgery, ground turn school is next week which is two weeks in DFW(no complaints) but lots of jumping around.  Back after the holidays.  Deploy to the Med(Sigonella) for a month or two, then try to get a quota for Flight Engineer school.

The crazy thing, I sleep very well when on deployments or missions..  Here at home, i'm a mess.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
And I was just about to post something similar to this.  I can't sleep do to not knowing what to do after graduating college with no job prospects.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You could ask for longer deployments.

I wish I could be more helpful.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
And I was just about to post something similar to this.  I can't sleep do to not knowing what to do after graduating college with no job prospects.  

How about OTS ?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Funny, Im contemplating staying AD USN for a career and call it a day.  Im not adapting well to the civie world although it would require some real sacrifices, Im happier in the military..  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about OTS ?

OTS?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about OTS ?

OTS?

Officer Training School, Military, and no I'm not a recruiter.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Ambien is the great messiah of sleep drugs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny, Im contemplating staying AD USN for a career and call it a day.  Im not adapting well to the civie world although it would require some real sacrifices, Im happier in the military..  

There is your answer

+1.  If you've found something you are happy doing, do it.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ambien is the great messiah of sleep drugs.

Funny, I happen to be on it now.  As long as I'm up by Armalite-thirty
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about OTS ?

OTS?

I've thought about it but I don't like being told what to do
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to have some fun. Start taking Valerian root like I do. It gives me fucking horrible nightmares and or whole nights of being half asleep and in terror.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about OTS ?

OTS?

I've thought about it but I don't like being told what to do

Well at least you would be able to tell others what to do, its not like you would
be a E-1.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is your answer

Daughter lives with her mom.  AD USN requires that I PCS to another command.  Not really comfortable leaving her but she does have a good support system around her from my family.  Her mom is getting over a bout with colon cancer and just had a hernia repair yesterday that came from her cancer sugery.  Aside from that, there is nothing else that keeps me from it.  The debate in my mind is; do I stay at civie job, be unhappy professionally and close to daughter or go AD and be happy professionally and be apart from her for long periods.  But as a side note, she will be 11 in a month and that leaves seven years before she is off to college.  A lot of growing up in between but then I might be looking at a lost opportunity and her be all grown up and on her own..  Cant everything be easy, always a give and take to everything.  Seems the more important the decision, the higher the sacrifices on each side..
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is your answer

Daughter lives with her mom.  AD USN requires that I PCS to another command.  Not really comfortable leaving her but she does have a good support system around her from my family.  Her mom is getting over a bout with colon cancer and just had a hernia repair yesterday that came from her cancer sugery.  Aside from that, there is nothing else that keeps me from it.  The debate in my mind is; do I stay at civie job, be unhappy professionally and close to daughter or go AD and be happy professionally and be apart from her for long periods.  But as a side note, she will be 11 in a month and that leaves seven years before she is off to college.  A lot of growing up in between but then I might be looking at a lost opportunity and her be all grown up and on her own..  Cant everything be easy, always a give and take to everything.  Seems the more important the decision, the higher the sacrifices on each side..

Have you asked your daughter about it?  Even my 8yr old can be suprisingly candid and wise when given the chance.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
i hear ya. its sucks the bit fat one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Have you asked your daughter about it?  Even my 8yr old can be suprisingly candid and wise when given the chance.

She doesnt mind though she says she'd like to live with me rather than her mom but she is several years away from making that decision for herself and the court backing it up.  Also she has a little sister that's 6 and not mine but her dad took off.  Im the only father figure she has and I love her like my own.  I would worry for her also..  Although I am sure she would be fine, Im very attached to her as well..

Maybe Im making it worse than it is.  I know a lot of guys in my command who are divorced, etc and live apart from their kids and they all seem to get along just fine.  i am not a unique circumstance..
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a lot is going on in your head, when you are home. I sleep better when I exaust myself physically. Do you do much cardio when home? Maybe a long run, or train at the gym in the evenings?

No easy answers in your case, but I think you're a really great guy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sounds like a lot is going on in your head, when you are home. I sleep better when I exaust myself physically. Do you do much cardio when home? Maybe a long run, or train at the gym in the evenings?

No easy answers in your case, but I think you're a really great guy.

Thanx Dawn!

If answers were easy, then life would be pretty boring right?  The whole Singapore trip really sprung me.  It was about two weeks, and we logged 75 hours flying.  We had one day off in Hawaii and the whole crew slept, me included.  It was so exhausting that on the return from Paya Lebar, we landed in Guam and I dont remember checking in to the hotel.  The next day we missed a whole pre-taxi checklist befre take-off(bad juju).  We all decided a day off in Hawaii was needed as we were teetering on flying unsafe..  Ill get bck into sync, it takes a while usually.   I like yto run..  Been so busy lately that PT has been severely neglected..
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Insomnia is a MF...

I've been dealing with it since I was a kid
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top