Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 9:15:30 PM EST
THE LATEST FROM WITHIN CBS [09/14 12:44 AM]

I have recently talked with an individual who claims to be familiar with the internal discussions at CBS News. This source built some credibility when he/she accurately stated that Drudge’s report of an internal investigation was wrong (Rather denied Drudge‘s report a few hours later), and this person also accurately predicted the network’s full-throated defense of the story on Friday evening, when some were wondering if the network would backtrack.

This individual told the Kerry Spot late Monday night that some of CBS’ news talent who were campaigning for the anchor desk when Rather retires, are more than a little pleased with the recent turn of events. These individuals, who, admittedly, have a great personal stake in getting Rather out the door, are contending in internal discussions that the blame belongs with Rather, not with any lower-ranking producer.

This individual also suggests that Don Hewitt, creator of 60 Minutes and who initially opposed the idea of establishing ‘60 Minutes II,’ is as livid as one would imagine. The pressure within CBS is intense and building steadily, the source said.

In another assessment of morale at CBS, I have also heard from one CBS employee, who works outside the newsroom, who has lamented that the memo controversy has left him/her “horribly disappointed, because I truly want to believe we're better than that.” (These sources have asked to not be identified, because they would like to keep their jobs.)

I also spent Monday touching base with various reporters and editors at mainstream newspapers and magazines in Washington, and not one would defend CBS’s action in this case. One editor at a publication that covers Capitol Hill said, “Anytime a major media outlet leaps to a conclusion on what appears to be highly questionable evidence, we all pay a price in terms of lessened credibility. Bad journalism is like bad anything — lawyers, doctors or apples. One bad one can taint the whole group.”

UPDATE: Here's a report in the New York Times that appears to back up my source's description of tension at CBS. Of course, this presumes the Times reporter is better than Jayson Blair.

Several CBS correspondents said in interviews that such developments were making them increasingly nervous.

One network correspondent said, "I've talked to colleagues who would love to see more of a defense."

This person described the state of the staff as "deep concern, I'd say not panic - we all want it to be right." This person, echoing others, said that Mr. Rather's resoluteness in addressing the charges on the air was allaying some of the concern. "Dan really put himself on the line and I can't imagine him knowingly defending something he knew not to be the case."

A longtime correspondent said flatly, "I'm distressed."

Mike Wallace, the longtime "60 Minutes" correspondent, said after hearing about new challenges to the validity of the documents on Sunday, "I'm confused by some of what I've heard today." But of his colleagues working on the report, he said: "You're dealing with genuine professionals. The last thing in the world that any of these people would want is to phony something."

My guess is that now that the Post has dismembered the CBS defense in this morning's edition, and raised a new set of hard questions, internal grumbling and finger-pointing at CBS News will intensify in the coming days.

nationalreview.com/kerry/kerryspot.asp
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:21:21 PM EST
Good. I hope they turn on each other like the pack of hungry wolves they are.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:32:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Good. I hope they turn on each other like the pack of hungry wolves they are.

And Dan Rather being the wounded rabbit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:49:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By raven:

This individual told the Kerry Spot late Monday night that some of CBS’ news talent who were campaigning for the anchor desk when Rather retires, are more than a little pleased with the recent turn of events. These individuals, who, admittedly, have a great personal stake in getting Rather out the door, are contending in internal discussions that the blame belongs with Rather, not with any lower-ranking producer.

FEEDING FRENZY!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:58:15 PM EST
Man, the WaPo story just ripped CBS and their latest defense to shreds.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18982-2004Sep13.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:00:36 PM EST
Sample:

The lead expert retained by CBS News to examine disputed memos from President Bush's former squadron commander in the National Guard said yesterday that he examined only the late officer's signature and made no attempt to authenticate the documents themselves.

"There's no way that I, as a document expert, can authenticate them," Marcel Matley said in a telephone interview from San Francisco. The main reason, he said, is that they are "copies" that are "far removed" from the originals.

In its broadcast last night, CBS News produced a new expert, Bill Glennon, an information technology consultant. He said that IBM electric typewriters in use in 1972 could produce superscripts and proportional spacing similar to those used in the disputed documents.

Any argument to the contrary is "an out-and-out lie," Glennon said in a telephone interview. But Glennon said he is not a document expert, could not vouch for the memos' authenticity and only examined them online because CBS did not give him copies when asked to visit the network's offices.

CBS executives have pointed to Matley as their lead expert on whether the memos are genuine, and included him in a "CBS Evening News" defense of the story Friday. Matley said he spent five to eight hours examining the memos. "I knew I could not prove them authentic just from my expertise," he said. "I can't say either way from my expertise, the narrow, narrow little field of my expertise."

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:05:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 10:20:06 PM EST by raven]
Looks like Rather's going to have to find a new gig. His old one of providing an audience for Depends and Geritol advertising looks pretty much finished.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:18:12 PM EST

CBS executives have pointed to Matley as their lead expert on whether the memos are genuine, and included him in a "CBS Evening News" defense of the story Friday. Matley said he spent five to eight hours examining the memos. "I knew I could not prove them authentic just from my expertise," he said. "I can't say either way from my expertise, the narrow, narrow little field of my expertise."

This guy is their lead expert on documents?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:20:05 PM EST
Mickey Kaus kausfiles.com is on it too. The same docs (plus a couple extra) were sent to USA Today, and they are strongly leaning towards the "phony" side of the debate.

Man, it's Christmas in September. Rather stupidly chose to put his personal credibilty on the line for this story. I don't think they can just heave a producer over the side for this. It would be hilarious to have an on-air Rather apology in the closing weeks of the election.

They can maybe stonewall for another few days. Then they'll have to start checking for the emergency exits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:22:51 PM EST
CBS' other expert, Glennon, was a typewriter repairman. I am not making this up.

timblair.spleenville.com
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:53:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 10:55:35 PM EST by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:07:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:15:16 PM EST

...Mr. Rather's resoluteness in addressing the charges on the air was allaying some of the concern.

"Dan really put himself on the line and I can't imagine him knowingly defending something he knew not to be the case."

Bigger they are, the harder they fall. Re: the quote. 'You're a Dumbass.' His agenda, and hatred for Bush (both, SR & JR) got the best of him.

Haven't watched blathershit in years. However, tuned in recently to catch the fun and turmoil which is fantasticly amusing.

btw: HAVE ... YOU ... NOTICED ... THAT ... HE ... SOUNDS LIKE, ... HE ... IS TALKING, to .. A BUNCH of, ILLITERATE , IGNORANT, ... UnITed STateS of AMeRIcan PEONS subjects?.......
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:31:04 AM EST
Rather remains in full Ted Baxter mode fifth day in a row.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:39:49 AM EST
I caught some blurb about all this last night at the gym..

seems they're saying that they are looking into the matter...blah blah blah.

well, if they had done that FROM THE BEGINNING......

fuckin' media, just a bunch of asshole parrots.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:18:17 AM EST
In the end it will matter very little anyway. The great thing about stuff like this is that it acts to hasten the death of the "old" media such as CBS, NBC & ABC, big city newspapers, etc. "New" media is taking a steadily increasing share of viewers, readers and listeners as far as news is concerned. Most people under the age of sixty five realize that anything reported on the 6PM news is already old and out of date, and fuckheads like Rather & Co. can influence fewer and fewer people's opinions these days. Many of us will live to see the day when the old media giants fall...they are already seriously wounded now.

I am eagerly anticipating the fireworks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:24:26 AM EST
I can hear it now:

"I get his parking space!"

All the decades these bastards have done everything they can to influence public opinion to their own agenda, and now all of a sudden they act like they have a conscience. Their problem is that they were caught and they know it. We would never have known about this if it weren't for the internet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:28:29 AM EST

Looks like Rather's going to have to find a new gig. His old one of providing an audience for Depends and Geritol advertising looks pretty much finished.

He can report on hurricanes with Geraldo.
I'd love to see that asshat hanging on to a street sign during a Catagory 5.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:43:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:13:16 AM EST
With the AWB gone, is it too much to wish for to have Dan Blather disappear, too? I think I'd dislocate a few vertebrae doing backflips.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:48:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By Noname:
LOL...!!!

LOL, Rove is the high bidder...sweet...

They should have typed up a fake memo in it, although they wouldn't be able to get the superscript, from the looks of the sample...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:59:53 AM EST
Let's not put all the blame on Rather. Let's remember that it was either a DNC or Kerry-Edwards campaign operative who floated these forged documents. If the memo trailo leads back to the campaign how will that affect Edwards' run in 2008?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:05:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By raven:. "You're dealing with genuine professionals. The last thing in the world that any of these people would want is to phony something."

Absolute BS. These people don't care about accurate and truthful reporting any more than they care for a Bush White House for another four years. And their actions regarding the memos supports this. These "journalists" are liars of the first order and will push any story that furthers their Leftist agenda, regardless of its authenticity.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:08:28 AM EST
Of course, none of this seems to be stopping the Democrats pushing "Operation Fortune Son" to discredit Bush's TANG service. They are still using the memo as "evidence."

The really sad part is most of the sheeple don't seem to know or care whether the memo is fake or not.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:42:13 AM EST

LOL...!!!

BWAHAHAHAHA, wonder if eBay will yank it for making fun of DNCTV CBS?

For all the years that the holier than thou, sanctimonious, self-righteous pricks at CBS shoved microphones in people's faces and asked accusatory questions "did you stop beating your wife?" it his high time that those c***suckers get a dose of their own medicine. Any time I feel even the remotest bit of sorrow, I quickly remind myself of all the damage they have done over the years.

Journalism, truth & integrity my ass, they have been running slander thinly disguised as public service exposes for decades. Hope Hewitt and the whole 60 minutes crew go out the door with Rather. $7 million a year for this level of incompetence? No wonder Viacom's stock is in the shitter. Adios Dan, you disgrace.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:04:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By osprey21:
Rather remains in full Ted Baxter mode fifth day in a row.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Separated at birth....

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:05:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 5:07:30 AM EST by LWilde]

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Let's not put all the blame on Rather. Let's remember that it was either a DNC or Kerry-Edwards campaign operative who floated these forged documents. If the memo trailo leads back to the campaign how will that affect Edwards' run in 2008?

GunLvr

I disagree. I think we can all agree that the "source" was one of the minor functionaries of the Kerry campaign. I say "minor" because none of the senior advisors are going to get caught for reasons of "plausible deniability". That said, I believe that the senior folks were complicit and knew of the memos, but their hatred of Bush and their desire to help their guy was just too much to overcome.

I believe that CBS and Rather, by taking this hard position and not backing down in the face of a mounting disaster are exhibiting just how "Biased" they really are and how they are little more than a propaganda machine for the Kerry campaign.

Bernie Goldberg is on the money.

Sadly, CBS is just one of many...

Herr Goebbels would be PROUD of CBS Snooze...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:21:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

If Blather goes down for this, don't worry, the Lefties will turn on Kerry and the DNC. The 'crats will accept you losing in a race, but they won't forgive you for damaging one of their icons.

Oh, please, oh, please, oh, please.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:22:57 AM EST
Uh...... Who was Ted Baxter?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:26:00 AM EST
WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY, KENNETH???
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:28:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

that anchorman on the Mary Tyler Moore show
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:50:23 AM EST
Smoke em if you have them

Haven't heard that for a while very applicable here. Rembember if you don't have them bum one from your squad leader.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:59:54 AM EST

Walmart is hiring "Greeters"
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:10:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 1:12:19 PM EST by Noname]

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

He was a dipshit buffoonish "TV News Actor" that Kerry tries his damnest to imitate everytime he opens his mouth...!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:21:13 PM EST
Goodbye, Dan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:51:55 PM EST
Anybody ever hear the name "Westmoreland??" Isn't Al-Jezzeerra hiring a reporter after that Apache hit that disabled Bradley???
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:57:14 PM EST

LOL...!!!

Perfect! I want one!
Top Top