Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 2:28:58 AM EDT

Arizona execution goes ahead after stay lifted

Supreme court overturns block imposed when state refused to reveal British drug supplier

•    

<figure>

<figcaption>

Jeffrey Landrigan was executed in Arizona by lethal injection after a stay was lifted by the supreme court. Photograph: AP

Arizona
    executed a man last night after the US supreme court lifted a stay
    granted when the state refused to reveal how it obtained one of the
    drugs used in the death chamber from a British manufacturer.

Jeffrey Landrigan, who was convicted of the murder of Chester Dean Dyer in 1989, was pronounced dead at 10:26pm local time.

A
    federal judge put Landrigan's execution on hold on Monday after defence
    lawyers argued that the state's failure to reveal its supplier meant
    the drug might not meet US standards and that could amount to cruel and
    unusual punishment.

But the ruling was overturned by the supreme
    court, and Landrigan was put death by lethal injection in Arizona's
    first execution since 2007.

The state's attorney general, Terry
    Goddard, used a little known law preventing the identification of
    executioners to defy a court order requiring the state to reveal the
    exact source of an anaesthetic, sodium thiopental, used in the
    execution.

Goddard argued that Arizona had the right to keep the
    information secret under laws protecting the identity of executioners
    and others with "ancillary" functions.

Yesterday, Goddard's office confirmed to the Guardian that the drug was obtained from a manufacturer in Britain
    because of a shortage in the US but declined to name the company
    concerned. Sodium thiopental is used to render prisoners unconscious
    before they are killed with other drugs. It has been in short supply in the US for months, forcing at least two state governments to look for alternative sources of supply.

Kent
    Cattani, Arizona's assistant attorney general, acknowledged at a court
    hearing last week that the state had not got the drug from the only
    approved US supplier, Illinois company Hospira.

It is possible
    that the UK supplier was unaware that the drug was intended for use in
    executions as several US states have sourced it from abroad for use in
    hospitals.

Hospira has said that it does not approve of the use of the anaesthetic in executions.

"[The drug] isn't indicated for capital punishment,
    and Hospira does not support its use in this procedure," it said.
    "Hospira has communicated with departments of corrections in the United States to advise them of this position."

The
    company says that the shortage of supply has been caused by "a supply
    issue with the active pharmaceutical ingredient, which is supplied by a
    third party". It says it expects normal supplies to be resumed early
    next year.

Landrigan was sentenced to death for strangling and
    stabbing Chester Dyer in 1989 during a robbery weeks after escaping from
    an Oklahoma prison where he was jailed for another murder. But his
    death sentence has come under increasing scrutiny.

Last week,
    Cheryl Hendrix, the judge who condemned Landrigan, told a clemency board
    that she would have given him a lesser sentence had she been aware of
    the brain damage caused by his mother's heavy drinking while pregnant
    and his turbulent childhood.

"The death penalty in this case is not appropriate and never has been," she said.

The
    clemency board split on whether to recommend to Arizona's governor, Jan
    Brewer, that she reduce Landrigan's sentence to life without parole.

Landrigan's father died of natural causes while awaiting execution for murder in Arkansas five years ago.

You gotta love Arizona.

California stayed an execution a couple of weeks ago for the same reason.  Hopefully, they can place a nice, big order.

John

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if the UK supplier will continue to fill the orders for Correction Departments.  Their statement was pretty firm against its usage in executions.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude sounds like he had a real effed up childhood. Prob shit straight outta nightmares.
Still isn't an excuse for what he did tho.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Death penalty is retarded
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#4]

I really wonder why they don't use carbon monoxide for these things.

Inmate goes to sleep.  Doesn't wake up.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You are correct. The process needs to be expedited.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:10:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Father and Son BOTH were on Death row? Wow
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:16:39 AM EDT
[#7]
He committed the crime in 1989 and he just got executed?  That is 21 years of taxpayer dollars to keep him alive.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, think you ment to say eliminated
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Next!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:30:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He committed the crime in 1989 and he just got executed?  That is 21 years of taxpayer dollars to keep him alive.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you friggin serious?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
a bullet would have been cheaper and faster
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#13]
if a person takes my life or the life of a loved one...because "They could" and not in defense of themselves or others....I want them to be put to death....

you don't let a rabid dog live.....why would you let a much more dangerous animal live....you don't cage a rabid dog you have it put down....

if the state is executing you and it takes less than an hour regardless of how much it hurts....they will be dead in an hour...that is not cruel or unusual...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#14]
He got what he deserved.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:58:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He got what he deserved.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yes he did.

Did anyone notice he was serving a sentence for 2nd degree murder when he escaped from the Oklahoma prison and the strangled the gentleman in Arizona? Screwed up childhood or not, he knows the difference in right and wrong.

Oh, and in what surely is going to smear Oklahoma forever: Did you hear his last words after thanking his family for their support? Boomer Sooner!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Next!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Blame the legislators.  On top of that, I don't wanna kill innocent people.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you friggin serious?

Yes I am friggen serious!

It's expensive (more then housing inmate for life)
It doesn't deter crime
It puts innocent people to death
It takes forever!

And before you give me the standard bullshit "guess we should all let them free then" argument.....life without parole never leaving a 6x6 cell with no tv, books, radio, nothing but bricks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you friggin serious?

It doesn't deter crime
It takes forever!

And before you give me the standard bullshit "guess we should all let them free then" argument.....life without parole never leaving a 6x6 cell with no tv, books, radio, nothing but bricks.

Its not more expensive than housing an inmate for life if its done expeditiously.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:42:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It doesn't deter crime
It takes forever!

And before you give me the standard bullshit "guess we should all let them free then" argument.....life without parole never leaving a 6x6 cell with no food, tv, books, radio, nothing but bricks.

FIXED IT FOR YA!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#22]
AMF
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup I agree. I am in favor of replacing it with gladiatorial games (no winning your freedom of course just keep fighting until you die).
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you friggin serious?

It doesn't deter crime

It takes forever!
I'm glad I don't have to share the earth with this fucker anymore. Life in a 6x6 cell with no TV, books, radio, nothing but bricks, would have been too nice. He deserved exactly what he gave his victims...death.

edited for past tense.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you friggin serious?

It doesn't deter crime
It takes forever!

Its not more expensive than housing an inmate for life if its done expeditiously.

Exactly.  It's more expensive because the same f'd up system that gives slaps on the hand to repeat offenders and habitual felons is the same system that is running the show for the executions.  Prison is pussified....no one minds going anymore because they know they a) won't be there that long and b) will (in many cases) have it better on the inside than they do on the outside.

It's a big, screwed up cycle that never ends and doesn't deter crime....not to mention costs taxpayers wayyyyy too much money.

ETA: Even if it were to cost me a few more of my own dollars to keep the executions going then fine....the fact that these ruthless bastards have to sit there knowing they are about to get put down like a dog makes me sleep a little better at night.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you friggin serious?

It doesn't deter crime
It takes forever!

I am for the death penalty, but would not be too upset if it were eliminated and replaced with actual life in prison, and priston was changed so that inmates do not go to college, watch cable and lift weights in their spare time.

The biggest problem as I see it with the death penalty right now is the time it takes from conviction to exectution. There should be 1 appeal and inmates should not be able to take stuff up to the supreme court. The death penalty is either constitutional or it is not. Executions should take place 30 days after conviction or the person should be thrown in a hole to rot for the rest of their lives.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#28]
This is cheaper than a bullet, drugs, and electricity...and its a "green" () method you can rinse/reuse it again and again and again...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Pro.  It's the liberal way.

Quoted:

There is something very bizarre about the people who work so very hard to keep these animals alive.  The anti-death penalty people go to GREAT lengths to find any––ANY––excuse to end capital punishment.  Bizarre.  

I wonder what their stance is on abortion . . .

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It doesn't deter crime

It takes forever!

I'm willing to pay taxes to do this.

It is money well spent in my opinion.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Kill them quicker. Don't waste my frigging time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you friggin serious?

It doesn't deter crime
It takes forever!

Has an innocent person been executed yet? I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think so. (that wasn't sarcasticly written. I don't remember hearing of any innocents being executed)

If it didn't take forever, it wouldn't be as expensive. Most death penalty appeals are for technical bullshit. You don't ever hear the argument that the perpetrator is innocent, you hear the argument they shouldn't get the chair/needle/gas chamber/whatever else is available because of some legal mumbo jumbo that had absolutely nothing to do with the defendants guilt or innocence.

If a defendant is on trial for 1st degree murder and is convicted, they should get an automatic death penaly in the states that allow it. If that's not an option, then it's life w/o parole. Their appeal isn't based on language, instructions and the like. The only appeal allowed is whether or not the defendant's guilt was legally proven without  doubt. Period. I don't care if his mommy didn't testify during sentencing about his childhood, or his girlfriend says he's a good boy "exceot when he loses his temper", or any other BS excuse. If the defendant confesses, signs his confession, and admits his guilt, then WTF is in doubt? He admits the crime. Fuck him. Fry his ass.

I sat on a jury in a fatal botched carjacking. The only defense that was available to the defendant was he didn't "actually pull the trigger". He confessed on tape as to what he did do during the carjacking. None of the facts were in doubt. Forget the fact that he was the driver that pulled into the convenience store when they saw the car they wanted to jack. Forget the fact he GAVE the shooter the murder weapon, and also forget he hid the murder weapon at his girlfriends apartment. If he would have just kept driving, a 22 year old, hard working, college going, kid/man would still be alive. But, he decided it was OK to try and take the kid's car from him. I don't give a shit what kind of childhood/upbringing the kid had. He knows right from wrong. Add to the fact he showed absolutely NO REMORSE. We gave him the death penalty. It was overturned on appeal because his attorney was in the throes of cocaine and alcohol addition. He didn't put the kid's mother on the stand during the penalty phase to tell how bad he had it when he found out the man he thought was his daddy really wasn't. Tell me what the hell that has to do with the defendant committing the crime he was accused of, and confessed to? Not one damn thing.

I can honestly say I am for the death penalty, and have had to express my stance in the "real world". Most people (on both sides) haven't had to do that.

ETA the part about his taped confession.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#35]
AZ rocks
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#36]
First in AZ. since 2007? What up with that shit? They need to take some lessons from Oklahoma.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top