Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2001 5:28:05 PM EDT
Anyone here know much about this rifle? It looks like a Winchester Stealth with the Classic Action. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,    Rabon...
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Winchester M70 with a chrome-lined barrel in an HS Precision stock.  Not a bad rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
hi Sparky... if you don't mind me asking, how do you know the FN special police rifle is a Winchester?

i'd like to try one of those if it is a winchester

thanks in advance for the info!!
respects, Jeff
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
hi Sparky... if you don't mind me asking, how do you know the FN special police rifle is a Winchester?

i'd like to try one of those if it is a winchester

thanks in advance for the info!!
respects, Jeff
View Quote

[url]http://www.fultonarmory.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
FN owns both Winchester and Browning.  I'm looking forward to playing with it.[sniper]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
A guy at the range was breaking in the barrel and I was looking at it . It is a winchester 70. He said the only difference was that the FN model has a detachable magazine and a claw on the bolt. Other then that it is the stealth. I have the heavy varmint the model before the stealth. I have it in 223 rem. and I am doing 3/4 moa. Good gun. I will get an FN if they are around in 6 months to a year or a stealth if they are not. I want it in 308 next time. That is what the FN is in. By the way the guy was shooting 1/2 to 3/4 moa.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a link to it

[url]www.snipercentral.com/fn-sp.htm[/url]

Looks promising, but I don't know if I like chrome-lined barrels in these kinds of rifles.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's a link to it

[url]www.snipercentral.com/fn-sp.htm[/url]

Looks promising, but I don't know if I like chrome-lined barrels in these kinds of rifles.
View Quote
Hey, if the barrel is chrome-lined [b]and[/b] it shoots, it ought to shoot pretty much forever.

I want one!
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a write up in a recent gun magazine about it.  I think it was "The Accurate Rifle" magazine.  The article was very favorable.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the first guys on sniper central to buy one said the magazine and trigger are crappy. It's too new for me, but it's on my list now and if I start hearing good things about it a few months down the road I'll probably buy one too. I think most prefer the Remington action, but for the price is looks pretty good. Just don't pay retail.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Any opinions on the Savage 110 FP?

clearly this FN Police rifle is well thought of, as is the Remington 700...

but the Savage is several hundred dollars cheaper... i was looking at it today, and the stock sure looks cheesy, but i have heard that this rifle is a shooter.

thoughts, comments?
Jeff C/NY~~Blade
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I just read an article on the FN in Precision Shooting or The Accurate Rifle, can't remember which. Very favorable, writer impressed with quality for the price.  Said the trigger was a little heavy, but his groups looked good.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey how did you get that ar15.com member logo on your name???[sniper]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
He Joined. See the info in the first posts of General Discussion
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to all for the input, It looks like a great rifle. I am trying to locate a Winchester Stealth, I must have missed the last run as they are somewhat scarce(still looking)if I become too impatient it may come to a choice between the F.N. and the Rem PSS, I kind of like the Remington but it is quite expensive to replace the aluminum with steel.
O.K. if I can't come up with the Stealth,
      Which One????
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#15]
How much do you want to spend? The Dakota Longbow would be my choice, but at $4300 I think not. :)

Here's a good place to start.

[url]www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any opinions on the Savage 110 FP?

Jeff C/NY~~Blade
View Quote

Believe it or not.  The Savage 110 FP is damn good out of the box in terms of accuracy.  The one bad thing I did like was the stock.  Looking for a inexpenisve rifle that is accurate brand new out of the box.  You just can not beat it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I just felt the stock was a bit boxy for me.  I did forget about the trigger.  You are right about the trigger.  It does suck.  My friend who has one did have his trigger work on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#20]
mattja, I am in agreement on the Long Bow it's probably as good as it gets.
I always have a project rifle of some sort going on it's kind of a hobby, this next rifle is a platform so to speak. I think any of these three will keep me happy and allow me to change component's as I wish to do so. My last .308 Win. was an expensive mistake(tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear)so I'm trying a new approach.
Have a nice evening,   Rabon...
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Savage stock isn't HORRIBLE, but the trigger sure is.  As soon as I get back from AZ, I'm sending my 10FP (which IS very, very accurate) off to get a nice new Timmeny installed.

-Troy
View Quote

hey troy, how's the quality-savage, please be honest. compared to a rem. pss
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Rabon, in that link I provided they had a lot of good things to say about the HS Precision Pro Series 2000 HTR. At $1900 list, it's a little expensive and it's a little heavy, but they say it's one hell of a rifle for the price. I was going to get one, but I know it will out shoot me so I think I'll probably go with a Remington or the new FN SPR if it proves to be a good rifle. It sure appears to have made a good impression with a lot of people. Keep cool. :)
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#23]
i screwed up my savage 10 fp barrel trying miss moly about a year ago. i sent it to savage for a new barrel and got it back a week ago. shot it on sunday and after 5 shots cleaning after each one for break in. I used win fmj white box for that and to foul after cleaning. it rang out 2 touching but was close two my other holes so i moved the bullseye to a fresh area of the box and rang out two more touching. both two shot groups were at 100 yds. my brother shot a three shot group at 100 yds a bit under 3/4 moa. these groups were with 150gr winchester silvertips. thunder storm rolled in so this where we stopped. this isn't a out of box savage though. when i got the barrel changed i had a stainless fluted put on ( i plan getting it coated green). the trigger is a Sharp Shooter. (very nice but i like two stages better) The stock is a chaote ultimate varmit. (i'd like to switch it out for a ultimate sniper) It has Night Force bases and a 6-20 by 56 springfield armory scope on it. I'm very happy with it but its a little heavy and scope is kind of high but not too bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top