Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:35:48 PM EDT
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me:

1) What are the minimum bars performance-wise for the Army PT test (situps, pushups, run, etc.)?
2) What is the time limit for each test?
3) How is it scored above the minumum bar?

Thanks,
BoB

P.S. A URL to the test spec would be awesome.  A Google search didn't really help.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
270 or lower = remedial. Well in my old BAtallion anyway.

Pick the youngest age group and plan to max it. I do not remember what the scores required were though. I stopped pushing when I got to max, stop sit ups when I got to max and then ran my ass off.

ETA Tag tro see what the standard is now. I would probaly fail the 95yr old female group.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I was looking for absolute numbers of reps/runtime for each activity.  I'm 32 and my goal for the next couple of months is to get into good enough shape to pass that test.

Thanks again,
BoB
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me:

1) What are the minimum bars performance-wise for the Army PT test (situps, pushups, run, etc.)?
2) What is the time limit for each test?
3) How is it scored above the minumum bar?

Thanks,
BoB

P.S. A URL to the test spec would be awesome.  A Google search didn't really help.

atiam.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/atia/adlsc/view/public/9500-1/fm/21-20/Ch14.htm#Chap14

FM 21-20 (Physical Training manual) Chapter 14 (APFT)

The minimum score for BCT is 50% in each event (Pushup, Situp, Run) for your gender/age group

The minimum score for AIT and active duty is 60% in each event for your gender/age-group

You have 2 minutes for pushups, 2 minutes for situps, and then a variable time for the run. There is a scorecard, as shown below:

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not remember the exact scores then but it sure seems like the scores were lowered.
I think it was
88 push
92 sit ups
and 11:something to max the run

ETA YUP they lowered the standards allright.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Having thumbed through most of the posted websites I still have a question. How much time do you have to do the pushups and situps? I was under the impression that one had 1 minute to do as many pushups and situps as they could, is that right?

James
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
2 minutes for the push-ups and 2 minutes for sit-ups
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#9]
They are even supposed to give you time between cycles. Mine didn't. They don't count pushups or situps that don't meet Army standards though. There is nothing worse than to hear the same number and "lower" called out repeatedly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Minimum of 10 minutes between events.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, that reminds me...

In the beginning BCT administers a kind of 'Junior PT Test' they call a 1-1-1... Basically, they only let you do 1min of PU, 1min of SU, and you only run 1 mile... If you can pass the real one you can pass the mini-version....

For the real test it's 2min per event, except the run, which is as listed in the run chart I posted...

The way they are SUPPOSED to execute, you have lines in front of your graders - each soldier does their pushups & gets to the back of the line, then when everyone has gone thru the pushup line they start with situps.  So you get as much 'rest time' as it takes for the line to cycle around....

Could some DS decide to have you do 2min of PU & roll over? Yes, but that's not the standard...

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh, that reminds me...

In the beginning BCT administers a kind of 'Junior PT Test' they call a 1-1-1... Basically, they only let you do 1min of PU, 1min of SU, and you only run 1 mile... If you can pass the real one you can pass the mini-version....

For the real test it's 2min per event, except the run, which is as listed in the run chart I posted...

The way they are SUPPOSED to execute, you have lines in front of your graders - each soldier does their pushups & gets to the back of the line, then when everyone has gone thru the pushup line they start with situps.  So you get as much 'rest time' as it takes for the line to cycle around....

Could some DS decide to have you do 2min of PU & roll over? Yes, but that's not the standard...

As for the Army definition of a Pushup and a Situp, see FM-21-20 (as linked above)...

Basically, a 'pushup' is done by lowering your arms parralell to the ground, and raising your body 'as a unit' untill you lock out your arms. You DO NOT have to touch the ground, you DO NOT have to keep your arms close to your sides (ala chicken-wings), and you ARE allowed to rest (by either bending your knees & arching your back or sagging in the middle, so long as you don't rest on the ground, lift your hands, or rock back on your legs while 'arching')....

That's it in a nutshell - the only easier test to pass in the Army is the piss test...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They are even supposed to give you time between cycles. Mine didn't. They don't count pushups or situps that don't meet Army standards though. There is nothing worse than to hear the same number and "lower" called out repeatedly.

One - One - One - One (But I'm bouncing off the ground) One - One - One

Never happened to me, but I know several folks who saw their PT scores implode due to a run-in with 'The Pushup Nazi'....

Situps are easy... They rarely go anal on those....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#14]
How do they work it for fold with bad knees who can't complete the run? I thought they had an alternative exercise bike regimen.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One - One - One - One (But I'm bouncing off the ground) One - One - One

Never happened to me, but I know several folks who saw their PT scores implode due to a run-in with 'The Pushup Nazi'....

Situps are easy... They rarely go anal on those....

The urban legend regarding "Q" Course initial PT test in the late '80's, early '90's was that you had to turn your head sideways to get low enough on pushups!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How do they work it for fold with bad knees who can't complete the run? I thought they had an alternative exercise bike regimen.

If you have a medical profile (temporary or permanent) that requires an alternate test there are alternate tests.  However, that is used for personnel who are IN the Army, no Initial Entry Training (IET) personnel (i.e., trainees in Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training as well as One-Station Unit Training - BCT, AIT and OSUT).  There is no 'alternate test' in IET.

Alternate tests are found in FM 21-20.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top