Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 10:51:07 PM EDT
Does anyone know anything about the Infinity system in Durangos? I've had this annoying buzz in my door since I bought the truck and figured it was just something loose in there. When I finally had a chance to pull off the door panel I found one dead speaker. The cone is completely detached from the frame. Strangely enough it's still putting out good sound except for the buzz. So I figure that I'll just replace both speakers with some "normal" Infinities, but according to the salesdroid at the shop the speakers in Dodges are 2 ohm, not 4, and bad things will happen if I just stick in what he's got without changing the amp, head unit, wires, etc. Naturally he showed me some things he had in stock for a total of about $1200. Um... no. I have more important things to spend money on. So what can I do? Try and find a replacement Dodge part, or will normal stuff work?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I realized shortly after posting that I still have a couple of weeks left on a 30 day warranty, so I'm going to see if that covers the speakers. If so, problem solved. If not I'll probably just see what I can get at the dealer. Honestly the stereo sounds more than good enough for me so I'd rather not change anything I don't have to.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]

I don't think it would be a problem.  I'm no car audio expert, but I think that it would be much worse to put a 2 ohm speaker where a 4 ohm was supposed to be, because it would draw more current at the same output level, possibly overheating or damaging the amplifier final transistors.

Putting a 4 ohm speaker where a 2 ohm speaker was shouldn't (unless I'm missing something about the speaker/amp design) draw as much current at the same output level.  

Look at www.crutchfield.com and tell it the year and details of your Durango.  I just did, for a 2000 Durango with the 6 speaker system, and it's showing me three pages full of speakers that are direct replacements, ranging from $40 to $600.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I was thinking too, 4 ohms should be easier on the amp, but wouldn't play as loud (easily fixed with fader controls, though). Not sure if Crutchfield's info is right, though. It's an 8 speaker system A 6.5" in the lower front corner of each door and a tweeter above it. Something is strange about the rear speakers, though. The mids don't put out anywhere near as much high frequency as the front mids. I'm suspecting they're actually set up to be mid-basses. Whatever Dodge and Infinity did, it works, though. Sounds great for a factory system. Hell, it sounds better than quite a few aftermarket systems I've heard.

Ahh, I see where the 6 speaker thing is. There's no option for Infinity in their system for 2000. Mine's an '01, which seems to have the right info.

After digging around a bit, I wonder if 5.5"s in the front doors would work better. Should give more of the high frequencies, then some 6.5"s in the back could handle the lower stuff. I'm not going to bother with a sub, unless I can stuff it under the plastic on the right rear corner. There looks to be some room there, but I haven't taken it apart to see what's in the spot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently had to swap out my bottom door speakers on my 2000 durango with the infinity system.  I bought a pair of pioneer 2 way 6.75 speakers for $50 and they sound awesome.  I'm going to do the rear doors now as well since the sound difference is so great.  Here's the link to order them.
Pioneer Speakers

James
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Bigscrun, you're going to hate me for this but when my dad decided to replace the busted speakers in an F-350 he had as a company truck, he bought....

get ready...

wait for it....

WAL-MART Speakers

Worked fine though.

SniperKage, you might want to go to Best Buy, Circuit city for good speakers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bigscrun, you're going to hate me for this but when my dad decided to replace the busted speakers in an F-350 he had as a company truck, he bought....

get ready...

wait for it....

WAL-MART Speakers

Worked fine though.

SniperKage, you might want to go to Best Buy, Circuit city for good speakers.

if he follows your directions, he MAY just destroy his whole audio system. The F350 DOES NOT have a factory amp, meaning you can just bolt in a set of ANY aftermarket speakers and YES it will sound good. The DODGE HAS AN AMP, and if you just plug in a set of speakers, there is a definate possibilaty that YOU COULD SMOKE THE FACTORY AMP.

I never said to follow my directions.  That teaches me not to hijack a thread.  I did say go to Best Buy or Circuity City for speakers.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Problem solved. Got 4 new stock speakers put in under warranty yesterday. When these blow I'll replace the amp and all 8 speakers
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does anyone know anything about the Infinity system in Durangos? I've had this annoying buzz in my door since I bought the truck and figured it was just something loose in there. When I finally had a chance to pull off the door panel I found one dead speaker. The cone is completely detached from the frame. Strangely enough it's still putting out good sound except for the buzz. So I figure that I'll just replace both speakers with some "normal" Infinities, but according to the salesdroid at the shop the speakers in Dodges are 2 ohm, not 4, and bad things will happen if I just stick in what he's got without changing the amp, head unit, wires, etc. Naturally he showed me some things he had in stock for a total of about $1200. Um... no. I have more important things to spend money on. So what can I do? Try and find a replacement Dodge part, or will normal stuff work?

DAMN!!...I have the EXACT SAME buzzing in the passenger side door speaker of my 01 Durango.
I thought it was because it got wet or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top