Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 12:54:10 PM EDT
A very good friend, who is in another country, has taken a fall off of a roof and hit his head.
This apparently happened Sunday evening.  He has been in a coma since.  I'm not getting a lot
of details but apparently they are keeping him in this coma.  Is this good or bad news?
Prayers need for my friend Milos and his family.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Brain swelling.....head trauma never good.   Only time will tell how significant the long term deficits may be.  Hope he is in a 1st world medical facility.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll try to provide some comments -

when a person has head trauma, several different mechanisms of damage occurs in the brain tissue.

you have shearing forces, that damages tissues by stretching and tearing them, and you have direct and indirect forces from the brain impacting and rebounding in the brain cavity.

additionally, as the tissues die, they release chemicals that can cause other cells to be damaged, and die.

damage causes the brain to swell, causing increased pressure in the brain cavity. this can put pressure on the brain stem, which can cause death when enough pressure occurs.

medically induced comas are an attempt to decrease oxygen use and metabolic activity in the brain tissue, and hopefully decrease the rate and amount of swelling that occurs, and allow for time for healing of damaged tissues.

there are some test that can be done to see if there is any brain electrical activity, as well as reflex checks to see how much of the nervous system is intact and responsive.

the medical personnel may have some opinion that there is a chance of some recovery, if it has been several days since the incident, but that is speculation.  at this point, it depends on how much swelling occurs and how your friend responds.

hopes for recovery of your friend...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
They did that to me after one of my severe accidents.  I was in a coma for 5 days. It makes tolerating the vent and foley easier .
FWIW I don't remember any of it and I was in no pain whatsoever.  (Versed and Ativan are really something I tell you)  It allows for better healing at the onset of the injury, or so I was told.  It makes it difficult for those that see it though.  I still feel bad for making my wife, kids and family have to see me like that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brain swelling.....head trauma never good.   Only time will tell how significant the long term deficits may be.  Hope he is in a 1st world medical facility.
View Quote
Not a 1st world medical facility.  He is in San Pedro Sula Honduras, however I have heard it is a very good hospital.
I had another friend from the same island, where my friend was,  who had a massive heart attack and ended up there.  He was very pleased as to the care.
Thanks for the prayers and information.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Prayers Milos and his family.
Lord hear our prayers.

I had a friend in a motorcycle accident with head injuries, with plates.
Medical induced coma about a week. Rehabbed then about a year later he was 90%.
It was amazing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not a 1st world medical facility.  He is in San Pedro Sula Honduras, however I have heard it is a very good hospital.
I had another friend from the same island, where my friend was,  who had a massive heart attack and ended up there.  He was very pleased as to the care.
Thanks for the prayers and information.
View Quote
I hope your friend gets to the US for treatment.  I did quite a bit of air ambulance from San Pedro Sula, our medics didn't have much good to say about their hospitals.  I do also hope your friend makes a full recovery.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Prayers sent... Hope he recovers quickly and fully!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Prayers sent... Hope he recovers quickly and fully!
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn OP sorry 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top