Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 10:33:46 AM EDT

www.lankabusinessonline.com/new_full_story.php?subcatcode=22&catname=Offbeat&newscode=1300984264

Dead End?

By Namal Suvendra
26 August 2005 23:48 hours

Two doves freed at the launch of Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapakse's presidential election campaign Friday were killed instantly when they flew into a ceiling fan, police said.

The two birds were freed as a sign of peace shortly before the Premier arrived at a public stadium in the southern town of Matara, 160 kilometres (100 miles) south of here, police said.

"One bird fell in front of the stage while the other dropped dead behind the dignitaries," a police official in Matara said when contacted by telephone.

He said an investigation was underway to find out who had recklessly released the birds in an enclosed space where ceiling fans were working. No arrests had been made.

The meeting was the first public rally of the premier after the Supreme Court Friday ruled that President Chandrika Kumaratunga's second and final term ends on December 22, clearing the way for elections by November 21.

The prime minister is the presidential candidate of the ruling People's Alliance.

There was a similar accident involving a dove in June last year when Public Security Minister Ratnasiri Wickremanayake found that a bird in the bush is better than a dead one in the hand.

Wickremanayake tried to free a dove at the launch of multinational UN peacekeeping exercise, but the bird was already dead after being too tightly squeezed. -
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:44:12 AM EDT
thats an arrestable offense ?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:45:26 AM EDT

Oh that's fucked up.

Reminds me of the video of the cat that got caught on the balloon string stuck in the ceiling fan.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:46:04 AM EDT
<---giggles.

<--remembers that dove season opens next week and I'm running low on 12-gauge shells.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:47:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

Oh that's fucked up.

Reminds me of the video of the cat that got caught on the balloon string stuck in the ceiling fan.

www.basementv.com/commercials/btv-com-006.html
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:28:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

www.basementv.com/commercials/btv-com-006.html

Priceless...

"Mrowr?"

<swat>

"RrRRRRRrrrRrroooooowrrR!"

<thud>

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:32:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 11:09:48 PM EDT by Sheldon]
We HAD a nice friendly little Love Bird named Shoe Box that met his end that way. He was kinda cool to have fly around the house free.....except for the crap all over the place!! Kids left the ceiling fan on one day and I guess Shoe Box didn't see them blades moving. The kids found him on the floor of their room in spasms. Wife and kids took him to the vet who kept him overnight to see if he could be saved. They called the next morning to say he died and whether we wanted to pick up the body. Wife and kids were all broken up. Ironically we buried Shoe Box .....in a shoe box.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:22:24 PM EDT
Dove that are stupid enough to fly into a fan are called "food".

Beats fighting mosquitos and staring into the sun for 3 hours waiting for one to fly over you...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:23:54 PM EDT
Reminds me of the Mythbusters show today.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:25:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:
<---giggles.

<--remembers that dove season opens next week and I'm running low on 12-gauge shells.

Hmm, me too. That's the only good thing about doves anyways....moving targets

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:28:31 PM EDT
Public dove releases seem to go wrong quite a bit. Remember the '88 Olympics in Seoul? Well, I was ten, but I distinctly remember watching dozens of doves fly into the Olympic torch and fry.

I also remember some video footage of the last units of the Soviet 40th Army pulling out of Afghanistan. Someone released a dove and it flew right under the tread of a T-72.

I also had a parakeet fly into a ceiling fan once and bounce off the wall. I was vacuuming under it's cage and didn't realize the door was open. I was just a kid but I'll never forget the sound- "Flutterflutterflutter WHACK zip THUD"
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:44:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By METT-T:
Public dove releases seem to go wrong quite a bit. Remember the '88 Olympics in Seoul? Well, I was ten, but I distinctly remember watching dozens of doves fly into the Olympic torch and fry.

VIDEO!! STAT!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:52:16 PM EDT

I was 2 at the time, so I don't quite remember that

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:01:48 AM EDT
Can't seem to find much online about the '88 Olympic dove bbq. Here's a BBC article but the pic sucks:

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics2000/926190.stm
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:01:34 PM EDT
I'm partial to the video that shows up on AFV periodically where the kid takes his pet rat out to the back yard and puts it on top of the cage and almost immediately it gets scarfed up by a hawk.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:06:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:11:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PaDanby:
I'm partial to the video that shows up on AFV periodically where the kid takes his pet rat out to the back yard and puts it on top of the cage and almost immediately it gets scarfed up by a hawk.

ROFL!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:20:06 PM EDT

When I was a kid, we had a parakeet. He was pretty damn smart and clever for such a small bird.

I used to sit on the other side of the room from his cage, hold my index finger out like a perch, and he'd jerk his cage door up and down until he could sneak out under it, fly to my finger and put his head down to be scratched.

One day he was out and my brother and I were chasing him around so we could put him back in his cage.

We couldn't catch him but he was running out of steam.

He flew into the kitchen and one of the electric burners on the stove was on.

Of course he started coming down (exhausted), right towards the burner.

He was probably a foot or so from the burner and he must have felt the heat rising and realized he was in deep shit.

He managed to find the strength for a few more wing beats to stay clear of the burner and landed gasping for breath on the kitchen counter.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:24:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:

ROFL!

Reminds me of that sea lion that was released back into the ocean after being restored to health.

They gave all the school kids the day off so they could be at the beach, and say farewell to the little adorable sea lion, so there in front of hundreds of kids, parents and assorted tree hugger types the seal was released, it swam about 200ft out when the Orca got to it, grabbing the seal throwing it up in the air a few times before ripping it out of its skin in a bloody mess.

Lesson learned: Orca like to play with their food.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:42:46 PM EDT

A couple of old ones...

www.punchbaby.com/media/gitfakt/clips/sick/Hare.mpg

www.punchbaby.com/media/gitfakt/clips/sick/mouetteSmall.mpg
Top Top