Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2008 2:57:01 PM EDT
I went to a small indoor range here in Florida today and they wouldn't let me shoot the ammo I brought with me. They said I had to buy their ammo because of liability concerns. I had a couple of unopened boxes of Winchester White Box. The ammo that they offered was over priced Independence crap. If they are worried about liability, why not just make you sign a waiver stating they are not liable if you blow yourself up with your own ammo? I know they have to make a buck but I think they are lying thieving bastards. They should be honest and say its a profit motive and really not a liability concern. I will never go back there again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Tampa Bay?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tampa Bay?
Melbourne.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I went to a range that had that rule.  Severely overpriced stuff.  I walked right out and never went back.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#4]
You think that's bad. There is a place in Las Vegas called: The Gun Store. If you have ever been to Vegas you may have seen ads for this place. They rent all kinds of full autos, so it is a pretty big tourist attraction.

It is not a good range for locals. They only allow frangible ammunition if you want to shoot your pistols there. They were selling .45 ACP ammo for $18 a box. That was more than two years ago. I can't imagine what it would be now. I haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Some people love to shoot overpriced ammo and don't reload the brass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
All the indoor ranges in my area started doing this years ago.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not to keep you from kabooming, it's to keep people from bringing in a paper sack filled with stuff they got from their cousin and sending some steel core or AP through the backstop and into their neighbors.

And they make money off the ammo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, someone opened a range like that IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD

I was soooooooo happy, but, not only did they insist on
selling you the ammo you used they also charged by
the hour and by the gun. I prefer to use my own ammo

They went out of business despite being the only range
located in a pretty prosperous area...with no competition

ETA: I told them I would only be using WWB and they were welcome to inspect it
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Better yet I go to a indoor range in FL and they charge $17 for half an hour...yeah no AC either its a real sweatbox in  there along with the fumes and all....

In its defence it beats driving for over an hour to go to the nearest outdoor range
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
The local indoor range makes you shoot their ammo only if you rent one of their handguns or machine guns.

I've heard that steel jacketed bullets make sparks when they hit the backstop.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I went to a small indoor range here in Florida today and they wouldn't let me shoot the ammo I brought with me. They said I had to buy their ammo because of liability concerns. I had a couple of unopened boxes of Winchester White Box. The ammo that they offered was over priced Independence crap. If they are worried about liability, why not just make you sign a waiver stating they are not liable if you blow yourself up with your own ammo? I know they have to make a buck but I think they are lying thieving bastards. They should be honest and say its a profit motive and really not a liability concern. I will never go back there again.

At what point did they resort to force?

Their property, their rules.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Tampa Bay?

I immediately thought that too. I went to an indoor range in St. Pete with a friend earlier this week, and since he had never shot any of my guns before I brought several different kinds, in several calibers. Well, I forgot to bring 45 ACP. I'm never going to do that again. I paid $20 for a box of 50. The funny part is when gunstores/ranges like that complain that all their business is going to the internet.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
just like any place to make extra cash. theres tons of places that require you use THEIR earprotec/eye protection (and pay for it) their ammo (and pay for it) their targets (and pay for it)

also known of paintball places that required you used THEIR PAINTBALLs (which were of the cheap ass variety but charged premium prices )
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
oh, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your entitled to pay what you want for services that they provide.

heres an idea bud, start your own indoor range and do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#16]
All the ranges in my local area have this scam rule also.  I show up with my 4 different 9mm makarovs and say ok sell me some ammo.  Then the scamers suddenly say its alright to shoot my own.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
oh, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your entitled to pay what you want for services that they provide.

Seems that  they provide the range...as to the targets and weapon thats your responsibility...why should the ammo be any different???
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No I just have a problem with them stating they have to sell me ammunition of a lower quality than the ammunition that I brought with me because of "Liability Concerns" Thats a bunch of BS. Be up front about it. Its profit pure and simple. Lie to me once and your radioactive to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The local indoor range makes you shoot their ammo only if you rent one of their handguns or machine guns.

ahh the orange fireworks...
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#20]
It sucks but I can't really fault them for it.  After all, it is a business.  If they don't make money, they don't exist for very long.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Other than I can shoot in my own backyard...

There is an ARFcommer that has a very nice 200 yard range, that we can put 10 people on easy. He does not charge us for ammo, targets, or range fees. We can call him up with 10 min's notice, and he will be out waiting for us with a smile, and his spotting scope. Hell, if he is not home, and he has known us for a while, he has been known to just tell us to have a good time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It sucks but I can't really fault them for it.  After all, it is a business.  If they don't make money, they don't exist for very long.

If they don't keep customers happy they won't last long either. Other factors come into play also.

If you want the good customers coming back to your range, you have to know what they like. Making them buy your overpriced shit ammo will keep a repeat shooter away.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't fault them for trying to make a buck. But don't BS me by telling me you have to sell me lower quality ammo than the ammo I brought with me because of liability issues. That insults my intelligence.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't fault them for trying to make a buck. But don't BS me by telling me you have to sell me lower quality ammo than the ammo I brought with me because of liability issues. That insults my intelligence.

I can't fault for not liking being lied to, but thats not automaticly the case here. could be some kind of insurence requirment.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It insults your pocketbook, too, when some asshole brings his reloaded shit in and blows up one of your range guns with it, then summarily sues you to cover the cost of having the pieces of metal removed from his hands in the emergency room, along with lost wages and other shit.

BTDT.

Don't like the range rules, take your ass elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a rip off incident when I ordered a Beretta trigger spring from a shop here locally. The place was famously overpriced but the spring price and delivery was decent. When it finally came in the guy said they couldn't release it to me because they were liable (no one mentioned that before) so they charged me $40 dollars so there gunsmith could do it and give to me the next day. Thankfully the place canned and all property was auctioned off. I suppose the public had enough of there shit and boycotted them.  Places like that indoor range and others must be so beyond stupid to think that they can get away with being idiots for too long.

PS
It's also places like this that give the mom and pop shop a bad name.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It insults your pocketbook, too, when some asshole brings his reloaded shit in and blows up one of your range guns with it, then summarily sues you to cover the cost of having the pieces of metal removed from his hands in the emergency room, along with lost wages and other shit.

BTDT.

A signed waiver is a beautiful thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Better yet I go to a indoor range in FL and they charge $17 for half an hour...yeah no AC either its a real sweatbox in  there along with the fumes and all....

In its defence it beats driving for over an hour to go to the nearest outdoor range
Have you ever seen an A/C indoor range? I haven't. It's way to expensive to send the dirty air outside while trying to cool the incoming air.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT.

Waivers don't do jack shit.

Ours didn't.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#31]
At my local range, some guy rented a gun and then shot himself in the head with it. NO BS. Fucking insane...I went there to go shoot and saw the coroner van and cop cars outside...I was like uhhhh...yeah I should come back tommorow
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever seen an A/C indoor range? I haven't. It's way to expensive to send the dirty air outside while trying to cool the incoming air.

Tampa.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Sounds like an indoor range in FWB. Same deal only went in there once for pricing never shoot there but herd horror stories about that place. They closed down a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#34]
The indoor range in my area has nice AC.  It is always a nice temp in there.  They run some really high-tech scrubbers too to keep from blowing dirty air outside.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT.

Institute a no reloads rule and make the customer sign a waiver of non liability for mishaps that occur while shooting customer provided ammo. Simple. Problem solved. More happy costumers, more business for them. And yes, I will take my ass elsewhere. They are dead to me now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT.

Institute a no reloads rule and make the customer sign a waiver of non liability for mishaps that occur while shooting customer provided ammo. Simple. Problem solved. More happy costumers, more business for them. And yes, I will take my ass elsewhere. They are dead to me now.

Good. You're making the right choice, and voting with your dollars.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT.

Waivers don't do jack shit.

Ours didn't.

It happened at your range or a range you worked at?

I would never let some one shoot their reloads in my gun. That's what it sounds like happened. A guy took his reloads to a range and used a rental gun to shoot them. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If I had a range this would be my policy.

Your ammo in your firearm.
Our ammo in our firearm.

The range I go to does not allow anyone to use their ammo, factory or not, in their rentals.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Ours here only requires THEIR ammo for THEIR rental guns.  Bring what you like for your guns as long as it is jacketed or semi jacketed. They don't inspect what you bring in though.

I was in last weekend and wasn't able to shoot my .41 mag because they didn't have any ammo there for it like they did last time and I had not bought any prior to going.  

My buddy rented and had to buy ammo there and I recall a 50 box of .45 costing about $20.  Or maybe that was the .40 S&W. Seems like the ranges are on the high end of pricing.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#39]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Tampa Bay?
Melbourne.

Take a trip to the outdoor range run by IndianRiver County. Good people and a good range...........
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You think that's bad. There is a place in Las Vegas called: The Gun Store. If you have ever been to Vegas you may have seen ads for this place. They rent all kinds of full autos, so it is a pretty big tourist attraction.

It is not a good range for locals. They only allow frangible ammunition if you want to shoot your pistols there. They were selling .45 ACP ammo for $18 a box. That was more than two years ago. I can't imagine what it would be now. I haven't been back since.

Yep, I did my CCW with them 3 years ago and I had to buy the ammo from them. I haven't been back either. They can keep those ammo for the tourists
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a similar experiene at Shooting Sports in Orlando once.  I had a new Colt Officers I wanted to shoot, and had some ammo with me...they wouldn't let me use it and were very obnoxious about it too.  Finally I said "The hell with this, I'm gone...you guys are trying to fuck people over and I won't be doing business here," and
The assholes then CALLED THE POLICE and took down my license plate number, saying I had somehow threatened them.  I called the owner and reamed his ass about them.  The police never called me.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#42]
They make you shoot their ammo but if their ammo blew up your gun I bet they'd tell you tough shit.

I would just find another place to shoot....
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Steel jackets? You've never been to a night shoot before! The FrontSight course ends with a nighttime shoot; they illuminate the target with a spotting laser/flashlight and you shoot at it. Steel targets, too! They spark a LOT!
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#44]
American Police Hall of Fame range near Titusville is air conditioned.

Discrete range near Cocoa???  I must hear more!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have one here, it will freeze you out if you've been working outside all day.

That's fine with me though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
American Police Hall of Fame range near Titusville is air conditioned.

Discrete range near Cocoa???  I must hear more!!!!  
Yes tell us about this discreet range you speak of. We will keep it confidential. Promise!
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT.

What about when it's your gun?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#48]
All you haters.  Do you quit driving because gas is now well over $3.00 a gallon?  Exactly what is your price for a box of .45 that becomes an ass pounding?  If you can buy it at Wally World for $12 but the range has it for $20, then the range people are cheating bastards?  Why aren't you pissed that Wally World doesn't provide a range to shoot that cheap ammo for?

So please tell us all what your max is per box of 50 rounds of ammo by caliber, along with everything you expect at that price.

Lets see.  You open a range and try and sell guns but because you try to make a profit people bitch and buy off the net.  So to cover your overhead you raise ammo prices.  People bitch because they want the Wally World ammo (the same company that wants to keep a data base on you).

Please oh great entrepreneurs of the business world, open a range or gun shop and lets see how you run it.  A lot easier said than done.  You should be thankful  a range is around period.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Yep, clark brothers out here is like that.  Twice the price of normal ammo.  I only go to sight an optic in, and thats only 20 rounds at most.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I just have a problem with them stating they have to sell me ammunition of a lower quality than the ammunition that I brought with me because of "Liability Concerns" Thats a bunch of BS. Be up front about it. Its profit pure and simple. Lie to me once and your radioactive to me.

1+++++++++++++++++++++++
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top