Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:35:34 AM EST
What are the legalities involving an individual shipping a handgun to a FFL in another state?

An internet search turns up mixed messages. Big surprise, I know.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:43:35 AM EST
Before you ship a gun, you need a copy of the licensee's signed FFL license. You can only ship the gun to the address on the license. You must inform the carrier that the package contains a firearm.

You should take the copy of the signed FFL with you when you take the item to be shipped in case the shipper wishes to see it.

FedEx: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:30:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 9:32:13 AM EST by HardShell]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:46:11 AM EST
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Some FFLs do not want to accept from non-licensees.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:13:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Before you ship a gun, you need a copy of the licensee's signed FFL license.

FFL's usually won't send a copy of their license to a non-FFL. Instead, the FFL will give the shipper/seller the first three and last five digits of his FFL number so that the shipper can use ATF FFL EZ Check to verify the FFL.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:03:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:21:14 AM EST
Thank you for all the replies! I decided to go the safest route and have the gun shop down the street do it for me.
Top Top