Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:40:21 PM EDT
Officer Injured In Shootout With Suspect
Witness Says Officer Shot First

POSTED: 12:35 a.m. EDT August 11, 2005
UPDATED: 12:38 a.m. EDT August 11, 2005

Story by The LouisvilleChannel.com

NEW ALBANY, Ind. -- Gunshots rang out in a local neighborhood in broad daylight Wednesday, and a man is now in custody after allegedly shooting a police officer.

The violence began at about 5:30 p.m. in an alley near the 100 block of Union Street, just off State Street in New Albany, WLKY NewsChannel 32's John Charlton reported.

Paramedics rushed New Albany police Officer Daniel Price and suspect Terrance Mason to Floyd Memorial Hospital, but, fearing possible nerve damage, doctors later had Price taken to Louisville's Jewish Hospital. As both recovered Wednesday night, investigators tried to determine who fired first.

"It happened so quick," witness Brian Paulley said. "(Officers) were just pulling in left and right."

Added another bystander, Bob McCucheon: "The cop got shot right here in the arm because he was holding his arm when he came out."

A friend of Mason's, Tim Brent, who was nearby when the drama unfolded, gave more specific details, Charlton reported.

"I seen the police shoot at my dude first, and that's real," Brent said.

But New Albany Police Chief Merle Harl said his investigative team won't jump to conclusions just yet.

"The officer did tell him to freeze, and there was shots fired," he said. "But I don't know who shot first."

Price was responding to a call that an armed man was in the alley, Charlton reported.

Police said Mason was shot in the lower back. His condition was not known.

Before Mason was shot, McCucheon said he nearly had his own brush with the officers.

"I took off running up the street ... and they told me to drop down to the ground when he was coming down this way, and I dropped down," he said.

Added Paulley: "I looked outside and the guy was in handcuffs, face-first in the ground. There was police officers everywhere."

Brent said he was surprised Price used his gun to shoot Mason, Charlton reported.

"He was too close," Brent said of the officer. "Tase him. That's what they got the Taser for."

Harl said details surrounding the use of a Taser were cloudy.

"All I know is that a Taser was deployed," he said. "I don't know if it hit the individual or not."

Harl also said he's standing behind his officer until an internal investigation yields the final details, Charlton reported. As of 11 p.m. Wednesday, Price was listed in good condition.

Mason has five arrests on his record, including one charge of assault on an officer, Charlton reported.

Please follow WLKY NewsChannel 32 and TheLouisvilleChannel.com for updates to this story as they become available.

Brent sounds like a mental giant.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:42:12 PM EDT

"I seen the police shoot at my dude first, and that's real," Brent said.

Thats on the boss dawg!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:44:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 1:47:00 PM EDT by distributor_of_pain]
The "cop and suspect were pounded in a gunfight"
ouch
Top Top