Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:03 PM EDT
So the other day I was canoeing by the railroad across the Delaware River from my home. Found one of these flat things that go between the track and tie, usually used them as boat anchors, but then though it would be fun to try and shoot through it.

First weekend we tried with Argentenian .308 from an FN-FAL and LC .30-06 from my M1 Garand.

That shows you the steel plate and it's thickness. Well, none of these rounds went through it, though they did make some big craters and put some dents in the other side.

So I thought for a while, and last weekend we brought out my M91-30 Mosin Nagant and some Czech Silvertip 7.62x54R light ball. I had been told this ammo has a steel core, and it sure does based on what we recovered.

First shot didn't go through, but did make a deeper and cleaner hole, with the steel core still inside. Eventually we had some shots that hit it just right to go through. My friends guestimated about 1/2 thick steel, me, I just say it's thick and leave it at that

Recovered steel core, was still too hot to touch!

And some more of the holes and steel cores we recovered from teh backstop just behind the plate.

Nothing scientific at all about this test, just what Old Painless always says:

"Shooting stuff is FUN!"

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, shooting stuff is indeed fun

Nice pics
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, from the Box O' Truth guy, I'll just have to give you an A on that one.

Good job.

That steel plate is tough stuff!  But the steel core ammo finally punched through.

(Hope you were shooting from a ways back in case of bounce back.)

Good job.  

And, as you already know, Shooting stuff is fun.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, the American ammo wore down the steel for that Commie stuff.

Is that a teflon pan?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Good job.

That steel plate is tough stuff!  But the steel core ammo finally punched through.

Good job.  

Thanks, and yeah, way back! I stood behind my friends while they shot too!

I'm not sure if the other ammo compromised it at all, or if it was just a matter of getting a good solid hit straight on. Angled shots didn't go in as well, and we had to reset the plate every time because we didn't think of hanging it up or anything. We'll try that with the next one heh.

I'm semi-curious if 62 grain green tip would get through at all due to velocity, or if if it just doesn't have the mass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, shooting stuff is indeed fun

Nice pics

+1000
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like that Czech Silvertip 7.62x54R light ball is good for hunting 1970 impalas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know what kind of steel they are made out of but Bush Hog blades are TOUGH.  Sure wish I knew someone who had old 6" wide blades lying around, our mowers are all the 4" wide size.

Those RR plates make nice CoM size pistol practice targets .  Too soft for rifle use though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Those RR plates make nice CoM size pistol practice targets .  Too soft for rifle use though.

Or as poor man's body armor!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Good job.

Good job.  

Hey, is the Box O'Truth site down for good?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
hmm. might have to buy some surplus 7.62 for my mosin, just in case
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hey, is the Box O'Truth site down for good?

It's down for now.

I'm working on getting it back on line.

I'll let everyone know if we get it all worked out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top