Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 6:36:42 PM EDT
In the 70s I listened to the Supremes and other black groups, watched Sanford and Sons and loved it....

but rap and wb39(racial tv programming) are IMO lousy, have I turned into a racist or is the "new" stuff NO talent trash?

And, if I have turned into a racist, how come I still like the old stuff
(Temptations, Supremes, Gladys Night and the Pimps, Sammy Davis, Stevie Wonder)

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In the 70s I listened to the Supremes and other black groups, watched Sanford and Sons and loved it....

but rap and wb39(racial tv programming) are IMO lousy, have I turned into a racist or is the "new" stuff NO talent trash?

my granpa and me used to watch sanford and son, good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I think the MLK Boondocks episode pretty much covered that.  Its worth watching if you can find it online.  Maybe someone more savvy than me can provide a link to stream it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I always thought Sanford and Son portrayed whites as doofy idiots. Remember the cop budd they had? Also look at todays shows. All the white people are portrayed as bumbling uncool idiots. Nothing has changed really.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my granpa and me used to watch sanford and son, good stuff.

Saw him do stand-up once, I laughed so hard my ribs\stomach hurt for almost the whole show
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I always thought Sanford and Son portrayed whites as doofy idiots. Remember the cop budd they had? Also look at todays shows. All the white people are portrayed as bumbling uncool idiots. Nothing has changed really.

I see what you are saying about the portrayal of whites, IMO its true

But, the SHOW was FUNNY, and the music was GOOD
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The current crop of hip-hop punks don't have jack shit on the old Motown crew, Motown in the day oozed talent.  People who could actually sing, what a concept.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Man I loved watching Sanford and Son. I don't get the classic shows now that I dropped extended cable but I use to watch it when it was on, it's still funny as hell
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Nobody came out of a Temptations, Four Tops, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Percy Sledge, or Fats Domino concert and started shooting each other.  Nope that was great music by great musicians.

But you now have little kids imitating rap stars.    Watch BET videos for a few hours... all the guys are tough and pi$$ed off, wear lots of "flash", drive expensive cars, which they got with "no visible means of support".  I am sure they are all stock brokers, doctors, lawyers, and other such professionals.  Meanwhile the women all dress scantily and rub themselves against the tough guys in very suggestive  manners.

Pardon me if I paraphrase, "I have a dream...  I have a dream that little black children and little white children will get together and BURN THEIR DAMN RAP/HIP-HOP CD's!!!"

Meanwhile, I think I'll put Booker T & the MG's on the stereo, groove to Groovin', Green Onions, and Time is Tight.

PS, 22bad, it is Gladys Knight and the PIPS.  You left out "The" in front of The Temptations.  And Sammy Davis is the father of the entertainer, Sammy Davis, Jr.  You left out "Little" in front of "Little Stevie Wonder".  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Still watch Sanford and Son on TV Land... Fun show, and some of the stuff is still kinda racy..They certainly dont make TV like they used to...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I love 60's and 70's music and love the Motown sound.

The lyrics back then were about peace and love and not about killing, prostituting and degrading women, and drug use.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The lyrics back then were about peace and love...

They were stoned.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were stoned.

So........drug testing ruined black music?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were stoned.

What exactly is your point?  A lot of the musicians back then were taking stuff.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
{Red Foxx} I'm comin' Elizabeth{/Red Foxx}
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't care for the show sanford and son but I loved soul music. Even some of my older black coworkers were lamenting the demise of black music just last week.

The Klan couldn't do a better job of selling thier product than rap hip-hop and current black culture.

The Klan claimed they were ignorant savages and I'll be damned if they haven't gone out of their way to fulfil the prophecy. If someone is a computer nerd or rocket scientist it's not called "acting black"
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
{Red Foxx} I'm comin' Elizabeth{/Red Foxx}

This is the BIG ONE
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
{George Jefferson} They been studyin' lectricity for years,and they still don't know what the hell they doin!{George Jefferson}
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I "grew up" in Detroit, listened to all of the great Motown artist's(Still do!), played with kids of many "Colors", went to see many of them perform & never worried about people shooting me after the show...all with no trouble at all.

Nowadays I don't go to Detroit, Flint, or any of the other "Urban" cities unless I have to. It's not the same. I have no reason to.

My Grandparents & parents helped to make Detroit and it's surrounding community's into the great cities's that they were.

As I've said before........I'm just glad that they are not around to see what has become of them today.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think the MLK Boondocks episode pretty much covered that.  Its worth watching if you can find it online.  Maybe someone more savvy than me can provide a link to stream it.

The Boondocks - in general - pokes a lot of fun of what is wrong with african american culture. AND aaron Mcruder is a HUGE star wars fan.

The MLK episode is a classic!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]
"Ya big dummy!"
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Nobody came out of a Temptations, Four Tops, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Percy Sledge, or Fats Domino concert and started shooting each other.  Nope that was great music by great musicians.

--
snip
--

PS, 22bad, it is Gladys Knight and the PIPS.  You left out "The" in front of The Temptations.  And Sammy Davis is the father of the entertainer, Sammy Davis, Jr.  You left out "Little" in front of "Little Stevie Wonder".  

You got me on the "Pimps" I was thinking more about the wording of the post
You knew the others though, I never heard of anything from Sammy Davis Sr
(The candy man can cus he mixes it with love and makes the world go round)
I just listen to them....I don't know the names of half the singers of the songs I like

eta: and it was, of course, Sanford and SON, not sons
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Seen on a large redneck at the local swapmeet recently - a tee shirt that reads:

Put the "C" back in RAP music

None of the (c)rapper wannabees wanted to discuss it with the gentleman - LMAO

Lem
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So?  Fred Sanford was the biggest bumbling uncool idiot out of the entire cast.  And it was brilliant.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

yeah, you're a racist

go listen to some shitty rap music and watch some fucking shitty TV shows until you're not racist anymore

whenever i hear a white guy use the term "racist"  i figure he is a loser

whenever i hear a black guy use the term racist i figure he's trying to get away with something

the word racist is so overused it literally has no meaning any more

grow up

PS -

Hint - treating people fairly does not mean licking their ass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Sanford and Son was one of my favorite shows.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quite a history to this before it became Sandford and Son.  It's fair to say it was popular because it was a funny show, not because it was a black show.

[Steptoe and Son
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm 48 and grew up with Bill Cosby, Redd Fox, Sammy Davis, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Wilson Picket, etc, etc.  I thought those black artists of that era were the most talented people in the world.  I honestly thought that talent like that must be part of being black.  BUt I look at today's black stars and I just don't see it anymore, they seem less and less talented with every passing year.  

Maybe that kind of talent is born of adversity and suffering, today's blacks don't have the same hardships that those who came before them did.  And maybe it's just time passing me by.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted: In the 70s I listened to the Supremes and other black groups, watched Sanford and Sons and loved it.... but rap and wb39(racial tv programming) are IMO lousy, have I turned into a racist or is the "new" stuff NO talent trash?
I wasn't even in the USA during the 70's. So I got exposed to the old stuff and the new stuff pretty much at the same time and able to compare. The new stuff just isn't as clever, isn't as funny, and isn't really entertainment - more like go stroking for losers w/o a future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top