Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2013 10:40:30 PM EDT
Assume we could set up a "snap shot" ICBM or other missile system capable of hitting a meteor that's been detected less than 2 weeks away.

Could our largest nukes even deflect such a meteor as the one that just passed by a few days ago? I say they wouldn't.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, I think a medium sized nuke, say a 200 kt, could hurt an asteroid if we could put it on target. The problem is any type of kinetic treatment might just break the thing up into still nasty pieces.

See "Lucifer's Hammer".

eta : I think early detection and then some way to apply an effective nudge from the orbital path is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The energy in any large meteor might  just eat that nuke up and keep on rolling. The best way would be to gently alter it's course when it is months or years away way out in space. Technology we don't have at the current time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The energy in any large meteor might  just eat that nuke up and keep on rolling. The best way would be to gently alter it's course when it is months or years away way out in space. Technology we don't have at the current time.

And will never have as long as FBHO continues to gut NASA.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
see this shit ?

http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

eta: This little meteor was point man for the big one later...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The energy of a nuke wouldn't make much difference.  A nice big piece of stone or metal would make it kaboom nicely. As others have said, shrapnel might be a problem, although I'm not so sure.

ETA: Nuke is a bad solution, as you could not detonate it at the right place.  An inbound meteor would see a nuke as a nasty fart.  Throw rocks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Meteor damage, i beleive...
 Ivan managed an intercept with russian technology?
Sounds like bullshit..
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
see this shit ?

That's the event the thread is about.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It would depend on the size of the rock. The small ones that aren't worth the effort could be destroyed.

The hundred or so feet across ones, could probably be fragmented, Damage would be lessened but spread over thousands of sites instead of one.

The giant ones that change the course of life on Earth, well a nuke would be like trying to stop a freight train with a .45

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh, I think a medium sized nuke, say a 200 kt, could hurt an asteroid if we could put it on target. The problem is any type of kinetic treatment might just break the thing up into still nasty pieces.

See "Lucifer's Hammer".

eta : I think early detection and then some way to apply an effective nudge from the orbital path is the way to go.

Some ex NASA astronaut has a non profit? organization trying to get funding to put up a detection sat and has some ideas on how to defeat threats, forgot his name.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
see this shit ?

That's the event the thread is about.

That's how the movie started
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
It really matters whether the meteor is a giant hunk of metal vs. stone/ice.  If it's metal, there's not any really effective solution within the grasp of our tech.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It really matters whether the meteor is a giant hunk of metal vs. stone/ice.  If it's metal, there's not any really effective solution within the grasp of our tech.

Sure there is, hit the fucker with the Earth!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top