Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 1/11/2005 7:15:05 AM EDT

In Texas. I can carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in my vehicle..  

My question is..  Can it be concealed?  Behind the seat?  Or covered on the
passenger side floor?  Or does it have to be in plain full view...

I really need a definitive answer on this.. I am getting mixed answers locally..

Thank you  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:16:40 AM EDT
My gut feeling is yes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:17:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By realist:

In Texas. I can carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in my vehicle..  

My question is..  Can it be concealed?  Behind the seat?  Or covered on the
passenger side floor?  Or does it have to be in plain full view...

I really need a definitive answer on this.. I am getting mixed answers locally..

Thank you  

You can carry it however the hell you want, as long as you're not endangering others, threatening/pointing at them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:18:22 AM EDT
Not at a carwash though
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:19:00 AM EDT
It's embarrassing to have to tell two people from a different state what their gun laws are.  The answer is yes, it is perfectly legal.  Try the NRA/ILA website in the future.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:24:00 AM EDT
Open carry of long guns is also perfectly legal in Texas afaik.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:29:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 7:32:53 AM EDT by realist]

Originally Posted By Sin_Bin:
It's embarrassing to have to tell two people from a different state what their gun laws are.  The answer is yes, it is perfectly legal.  Try the NRA/ILA website in the future.

I see nothing in the NRA.org website pertaining to this law..  

OK.. Sounds like it is legal..  

I need to find the legal description of the law written
by Texas so I can show this Cop I know who seems
to think it cant be concealed..
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:35:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 7:37:58 AM EDT by soowah]
texas penal code

see taxas penal code 40.03. 46.01  oops...

above is general layman description.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:37:01 AM EDT
Yep.  Having a long gun in a vehicle is perfectly legal.  Having it loaded is legal too.

It's handguns they get picky about.  But if you have a CHL or CCW from a state that has reciprocity, then it doesn't matter what you got, where it is and whether or not it is loaded.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:40:13 AM EDT

ANTIQUES AND REPLICAS

Antique or curio guns manufactured before 1899 and replicas thereof which do not use rim fire or center fire ammunition are not included in the definition of "firearm" as it is used in Texas Penal Code Title 10, Chapter 46, which governs weapons.

So according to this, you don't even need a concealed carry permit to carry a replica revolver...

cool.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:42:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
So according to this, you don't even need a concealed carry permit to carry a replica revolver...

cool.

Why on earth would you want to?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:46:43 AM EDT
You can carry a loaded long arm in your vehicle, concealed or not.
You could get yourself in trouble with it, say Disrorderly Conduct, Terroristic Threat or Agg Assault for example.  
Merely carrying the weapon is legal, it's only the conduct with it that COULD get you in trouble.
Do you remember a couple of years back when they executed Gary Graham in Huntsville?  A few of Houston's Nation of Islam folks were outside the prison protesting, and brandishing long arms.  They weren't arrested because they didn't point them at anybody, but IMO they should have been busted for Disorderly Conduct for displaying them in an alarming manner. Wasn't my call though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:49:38 AM EDT
Dunno about TX, but in Idaho rifles and shotguns don't have any concealed carry laws. So I could walk around dowtown with a shotgun in my trenchcoat and be fine.......not smart, but not illegal
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:53:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

cool.

Why on earth would you want to?

What if you don't feel like paying for and going through the hassel of getting and renewing a chl?

How about a sawed-off pre 1899 shotgun replica?  Any length you want.  As I read it, having one with a 6 inch barrel would be perfectly legal as the pre 1899 replica isn't considered a firearm.

Well, perfectly legal as far as the State of Texas is concerned...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:48:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sin_Bin:

I see nothing in the NRA.org website pertaining to this law..  

OK.. Sounds like it is legal..  

I need to find the legal description of the law written
by Texas so I can show this Cop I know who seems
to think it cant be concealed..

There is no law saying it can or cannot be concealed.  The Texas Penal Code only covers what is ILLEGAL ,and includes exceptions to unlawful acts.

Texas has restrictions on handguns  46.02, and in certain circumstances restrictions on all firearms
46.03.  You should also see 46.04 and 46.05.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe.toc.htm  scroll down to title 10.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:57:59 AM EDT
man Texas rocks when it comes to matters concerning firearms.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:05:57 PM EDT
Now if we can only get rid of the chl crap, we would be cool.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:47:02 PM EDT

Thanks for the penial code soowah !

Now I need to find out about cannons..    

I havent fired off my cannons since before  9/11...  Not sure what they
may classify it as  now..  terroristic threats perhaps?    Just 4th of July and new years
eve has been a tradition for the cannons for up to 20 years prior..

We used to always discharge a weapopn into the ground (test fire)  my neighbor
was complaned on and was arrested from his house and is on probabtion now and
has paid hefty fines too.    We are outside the houston city limits and was never
a problem before..  he was told not allowed to discharge a weapon within 1500 feet
of any dwelling... so.. I guess I cant shoot any more dogs or cats on my property
after my livestock, chicks etc..
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:55:07 PM EDT

may classify it as  now..  terroristic threats perhaps?    Just 4th of July and new years

has paid hefty fines too.    We are outside the houston city limits and was never
a problem before..  he was told not allowed to discharge a weapon within 1500 feet
of any dwelling... so.. I guess I cant shoot any more dogs or cats on my property

What are you within Houston city limits or something?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:07:44 PM EDT

I call BS.

Any animal do depridation on crops or livestock can be shot.  That 1500 ft. thing is BS.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:05:40 PM EDT

No, I live outside the houston city limits..  and in a sub division ....  big lots..  

no restrictions on animals, ,, I burn my rubbish, and used to shoot at will..  

He had cleaned his 22 revolver and was test firing it a few times into the ground..
a neighbor behind him, call the cops.. said there was a bullet hole in thier house..
he answered the door and was taken to Jail he admitted to discharging the weapon,
never ben a problem before..  they found the slug..  ballistics didnt match his weapon
to the slug.. so it mnust have been an old bullet hole.. ?  

fines of almost 1000.00 bucks..  and I believe he got 2 years probation. I can find out
for sure..  his wife was the one that told me they were told about the 1500 foot rule.
I havent verified it yet.. but I know there is a rule also about shooting within 300 feet
af any road, street or highway..  They pretty much have you anyway you look at it..

I will invest in a compound bow and in the fiture take out the dogs and cats with it if I have
to protect my animals too close to a house or street..  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:10:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By madmann135:

I don't like the CHL course you have to go through - you pay 150 for the license and around 100 for the course ... some states, all you have to do is go in, fill out a form, pass a background check, and you have your CHL for about 20 dollars - New Hampshire I think it is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:11:37 PM EDT

Except for no open carry... Texas is a pretty good place to be as far as firearms go.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:42:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

I don't like the CHL course you have to go through - you pay 150 for the license and around 100 for the course ... some states, all you have to do is go in, fill out a form, pass a background check, and you have your CHL for about 20 dollars - New Hampshire I think it is.

It's $10 for 4 years.  And yes it is nice not to have to take a course, but I still took a Concealed Weapon course at Sigarms Academy because it was so damn close.  But, we can't have loaded rifles/shotguns in a vehicle.  The latter apparently has to do with decreasing poaching, or so they say.  Again, law-abiding citizens having to suffer because of the actions of a few morons.  I also think that the fee for CHL is an infringement of my rights.  What if they decide to charge $100 a year?  $1000?  $10,000?  It will end up like machine-guns where you artificially increase the cost of having firearms through bullshit laws that do nothing to decrease crime.  Why should a $400 Mac-10 cost $4000?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:44:04 PM EDT

ANTIQUES AND REPLICAS

Antique or curio guns manufactured before 1899 and replicas thereof which do not use rim fire or center fire ammunition are not included in the definition of "firearm" as it is used in Texas Penal Code Title 10, Chapter 46, which governs weapons.

cool.

Well, you could so long as it fired paintballs, BB's/pellets or blanks, so knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 2:52:37 PM EDT by t-stox]
Carrying a concealed loaded rifle? Are you nuts? Where the hell do you think you are? Texas?............Oh wait, never mind.....................
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:53:57 PM EDT
Ooh, trench coat and a Krinkov in 7.62... MUG THIS!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:00:04 PM EDT
i wish i lived in TX
Top Top