Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 2:16:29 PM EDT
Here's my thanks to all the vets who served the U.S., especially those who died.

Let us also not forget to honor those who served and are still alive.  Many of them are still carrying the wounds they got, and the memories and nightmares from their fighting days.

In my old apartment, the new owner hired a caretaker who was a WWII vet.  He stayed alone in a little unit on the first floor. No relatives I ever saw. Many was the night when I'd come in late, after he'd gone to bed.  As I passed his place on the way to the stairs, I'd hear him yelling in his sleep because of some terror that had thrust itself to the top of his mind.

Several of the tenants had trouble with this, thinking he was just an old alcoholic.  I wouldn't have known myself if the owner hadn't filled me in.  Eventually they put him out.  Sure hope he landed on his feet.  God be with you, Arnold.

[red]PRK

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
God Bless the men and women who payed the ultimate price for our Country.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
And god bless the ones who survived and are not ignored by most people who don't understand the magnitude of what these men did. Tol an old vet thank you for your service once, he said that was the first time he had ever had someone tell him that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]

"It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us. . .that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion. . . that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. . . that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom. . . and that government of the people. . .by the people. . .for the people. . . shall not perish from the earth."-- Abraham Lincoln, November 19, 1863
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Dittos to Sumo2000.  I had the very same experience, too.  I met a vet with real problems.  We talked.  He asked if I had served and where.  I told him yes and a few details.  I then said, "I want to thank you for your service to our country and all of us."  He also said that was the first time anyone had ever said that to him.  I asked if he was going to be alright.  He said, yeah, I've been through a lot worse.  I paid for his meal and left.  I still think about him, often.  Somehow he deserved better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top