Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/13/2002 4:59:51 PM EST
Well I just got out of ROTC NALC in FT Lewis and now I am in Korea for a month. I was going through internet withdrawl. we only got to shoot our m16a1 once while we were in Wash. I saw some ROK soldiers with what looked kinda like an FNC but it was different. I think it was a Daewoo something or other other. It is nice to sit here and scan the internet. Anyone have any advice on what to do in Korea? SP
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:08:51 PM EST
go to Itaewon in Seoul or Texas street in Pusan and have some fun!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:09:08 PM EST
where are you at in korea?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:15:01 PM EST
I am in Camp Casey with 2nd Tank. I am only here for a month as part of Cadet Troop Leadership Trainning (CTLT) for ROTC. I am here to learn how to be a tank platoon leader. I dont really know what I am doing so any advice you can give me about how to be a successful platoon leader would be appreciated. SP
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:17:18 PM EST
Go to all the meetings, takes notes, tell the pltsgt what the big picture is, and where you all have to be, and what you have to be doing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:22:50 PM EST
Stay away from the whores. A year is one thing but you can live without it for 30 days. Make sure you see the DMZ. Get to Seoul, yes Itaewon. Buy some sneakers, leather goods or what ever else is hot over there now. Make the best of a rare opportunity to travel. Learn a little about the culture, the food, the people (the real ones) the religion. Most of all have a good time. Those of you who have been there recently may be able to tell it's been a long time since I was there. I imagine things have changed some in the last 18 years.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:27:49 PM EST
Lessee now, you are actually in S. Korea and think it is fun to sit and waste your time surfing the internet. Oh, ROTC, that 'splains it. I would suggest putting a half dozen $20 bills in your left pocket and a half a dozen rubbers in your right pocket and heading on down to the ville. Look for a neon sigh that says something like "Club", "Bar", "Saloon", something like that. I am sure there will be more than one beautiful young lady there that will take an interest in you and show you how to enjoy your visit to " The land of the rising son". BTW been there done that, B. Co. 44th Eng Bn.(Broken Heart) 1975-1977.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:37:30 PM EST
You are at Camp Casey, TDC (Tong Du Chon). For you guys that have never been to Korea, TDC is the party capital, Uncle Sams biggest kept secret. Get yer butt downtown and enjoy a little bit of something most young Americans will never get to experience. It has been many years since I was there but the memories are as sharp and clear as ever.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:41:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By TonyH: I am sure there will be more than one beautiful young lady there that will take an interest in you and show you how to enjoy your visit to " The land of the rising son". BTW been there done that, B. Co. 44th Eng Bn.(Broken Heart) 1975-1977.
View Quote
"The land of the rising sun" is Japan. Korea is "The land of the morning calm" whatever that means. Been, there done both. Or was the word "Sun" changed to "Son" intentionally with some veiled meaning?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:47:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2002 5:49:15 PM EST by D348]
If you can find your way to a small village off the beaten path, go there. The people are friendly. An invitation to a home cooked Korean meal is one you don't want to pass up. Take it easy on the Jin Roe Soju. When it hits, it hits hard. Then your money will somehow disappear. Don't take any La-La's. Wish I was going to Korea for a month.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:09:24 PM EST
Sukebe, you caught that, you know what I was talking about, an old inside joke. I owe you a cigar.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:20:27 AM EST
Damn...! It's been 27 years since I was in Korea. Guess things might have changed a bit. Short Time was $5.00 and All Night was $10.00...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:42:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 5:43:26 PM EST by CavVet]
Originally Posted By Noname: Damn...! It's been 27 years since I was in Korea. Guess things might have changed a bit. Short Time was $5.00 and All Night was $10.00...
View Quote
Can we get an updated price list??? [b]WOW!!![/b] I just looked it up, an [url=http://www.dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay/01-2002.pdf]E-4 pay[/url], over 2 is $1517 per month. So I can only imagine a short time must be at least $20.00 these days. Sniperpants, Sukebe is right, Check out the DMZ. Freedoms frontier will give you a differnt outlook on life. Time there on rotation will change you forever. He is also right to buy what you can get cheap, avoiding kimchee crap. Clothes made cheap are justthat. Sneakers are a great investment, CHEAP! You asked us about PLT LDR. While we never had any Cadets with us, you would fall in the officer ranks, per se. Carry yourself as a professional officer at all times. Know your book stuff, and let your NCO's do their jobs. Good young officers [b]CAN[/b] learn years worth of knowledge from Senior NCO's in a short time. Support them, they will help you to the end. Screw them and they can make your days long, hard and downright unbearable. Kick back and enjoy ah-jimah and a little soju0... Good Luck Cadet...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:20:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 6:22:39 PM EST by mrcr0603]
[i]I'm active duty Army, stationed in Seoul for 2 years now. This tour is my fourth in 19 years of active duty.[/i]
Originally Posted By SniperPants: .... Anyone have any advice on what to do in Korea?
View Quote
You want to become an officer in the U.S. Army, right? Talk with the soldiers in the unit that you're attached to. That's real time, relevant advice that can make a difference in your [b]important[/b], long term future. Ask 10 of them your question and you'll get 10 different answers; use your common sense to determine if they're recommending something that's going to get you in trouble or not (RE: Drinking soju, women, etc.).
I am in Camp Casey with 2nd Tank. I am only here for a month as part of Cadet Troop Leadership Trainning (CTLT) for ROTC. [i]I am here to learn how to be a tank platoon leader.[/i]
View Quote
Then stick to the Platoon Leaders in place now and watch very carefully what they're doing. This is your opportunity (and an excellent one) to see what you can be doing once you get commissioned.
I dont really know what I am doing so any advice you can give me about how to be a successful platoon leader would be appreciated.
View Quote
Back to the top .... besides working with the Platoon Leaders in the unit, talk to the NCO's about this. They're the ones that will make you or break you once you get out here. You should be able to see the pattern here .... the point of you being over here is for you to get [b]involved[/b] with what's going on in your sponsor unit, as much as one month will allow. I'm sure that you might have gotten the cold shoulder for being a cadet. You come across as an ass, act too timid, or that you don't care, you'll be hard pressed to find someone to work with you. Swallow your pride and say "I don't know, show me what you're doing", and I can't see any good officer or NCO turning you down. Chris
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:45:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 6:47:54 PM EST by Ross]
We had a CTLT Cadet with us in Korea for a month. He wound up being a dickhead. He had the whole Army figured out and knew it all, even though he had spent ZERO time in the real Army. You couldn't tell him anything, you couldn't show him anything, the NCO's quickly decided he was to be sh!t upon as much as possible. Hell, I thought he was a dickhead, and I was the XO of the company (a Captain at the time, as we were a heavy series Aviation company with the CO's slot being a Major). You couldn't teach that asshole a damn thing! Go in like a sponge. This is the best time to learn. You can make all sorts of supervised mistakes, and learn all sorts of valuable lessons and not screw your carreer up. Listen to everybody. Alot of it will be BS, but alot will make some serious sense. It's not as important that you learn the technical aspects of tank platoons. Yeah, you need to try and learn as much of the technical stuff as possible, but you'll learn your own branch's (it may not be Armor in the end) technical stuff in OBC. What you need to learn is HOW TO LEAD. Leadership is the same regardless of the type of unit. People are people, and leadership is leadership. Just concentrate on learning how to be a leader (WHICH IS ALWAYS A TWO WAY STREET!!!). It can be a great opportunity to learn something that will help you out in the future. As for being in Korea, there's plenty to do. The main attractions have been mentioned[:D]. Get to the DMZ, even if it's just to visit. Even if you have to take a tour, then do it. That's what the job's all about there. You'll understand when you see it. There should be OPD classes on some of the stuff that happened there. You may not get a chance, but get a book on the Korean war, or get something from the library on a battle in the area and go check it out. You'll be amazed once you're really on the ground as to how many men could fight over such a small hill. The main thing is to have alot of fun, and experience the culture. Sure, you need to experience the SOFA clubs, etc. but try to learn something about Korea and the people themselves. We were in a remote area (when even the Army calls it remote, you can guess what it was like) and we were the only Americans around. There wasn't much to do in the way of night life, like the big camps had, but I liked it better. We could always go to the big places to party, but it was much more like being in the real Korea itself where we were at. Local folks would just give you stuff for being there, because they hadn't been jaded by American culture intruding, and actually valued your being there. All in all it was a great experience. Most of all HAVE FUN! Ross
Top Top