Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/3/2001 11:35:53 AM EST
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=74987 I have a line on some pistols from an estate in Canada. Anyone know the ins and outs of importing/exporting firearms? What would have to happen at both ends? TIA BP
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:33:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:53:45 PM EST
It is interesting, but may not apply. One court case I read of involved a guy who moved his legally owned NFA weapons to Canada in 1972 with him. Then 5 years later in 1977, he attempted to obtain permission to reimport them. Guess what, the ATF informed him that since he was importing them after 1968 that they were now Post-68 samples and could only be owned by Class 3 Dealers or LEOs. Guess what, the MF had 96 NFA guns. He got fuckin' royally screwed. The ATF wouldn't allow the guns in even though there is a provision for reimporting guns you originally exported. Some dumbass Judge actually upheld the ATF decision and now Canada surely has banned MGs, so this guy is out 96 Transferrable MGs. Also, that is 96 less MGs on the NFA market.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:42:09 PM EST
It really is not that tough. personal sales from outside the country happen all the time. There is a single form to fill out and file. There is a good description of what is needed on the potter firearms website form AUS at www.potfire.com.au trying to help TRW
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:38:29 PM EST
Its a Luger and a Berretta pistol. Nothing fancy or NFA. I think I found what I needed with help from this board. Thanks everyone. BP
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:52:50 PM EST
Exporting from Canada: The executor (and only the executor) may, for a reasonable period of time, take virtually unlimited reasonable actions with the pistol whether or not he or she is licensed. This probably does not extend, in my opinion, to giving the pistol to a person who has not been registered as its new owner. The pistols must thus already be registered or else qualify (fat chance...good luck anyway) under our restricted firearm amnesty for registration purposes. If the pistols have ever been registered, but are not now correctly registered, forget registering them or correcting the information as they're now contraband even with the amnesty. So, assuming the pistols are registered, and you aren't the executor, you must now obtain US State Dept permission to import them (an import certificate) and obtain Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade permission to export them (export certificate - call 1800 O Canada to obtain DFAIT's tel #) plus an authorization to transport the firearms to a specific border crossing via a reasonably direct route during a certain time period. Oh yeah, and whoever transports the firearms must do so unloaded, in an opaque locked container not containing ammo, and they also must have their restricted firearms possession and acquisition license or a valid FAC plus grandfathering for restricted firearms. The National Firearms Association can help you out with the details of Canadian requirements. [URL]http://www.nfa.ca[/URL]
Top Top