Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/5/2015 4:31:43 PM EDT
Anyone else suffer from this? Seems to happen to me every three years. It gets to the point where it causes headaches and loss of hearing due to blocking the ear drum. I usually go see my primary care and he will fish it out or suck it with a tool. Made an appointment for Monday don't know if I will last though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I did once.  Doc told me to quit using q-tips.  I did.  Never happened again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
In for the gross youtube vids.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Use some Hydrogen Peroxide every once in a while, geez.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Use some Hydrogen Peroxide every once in a while, geez.
View Quote
yep

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you try letting hot water spray in while you shower?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
my Grandmother had that.
we thought she was going deaf.

the Dr. washed it out, and said something to her, and she replied "why are you yelling at me"?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Hydrogen peroxide and ear candles from time too time. Also, q-tips are not to be inserted into the ear canal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Had it once, doc flushed ear out with a big ass syringe.  Felt really weird, but it was nice to be able to hear again.  My wife is always going at her ears with the q-tips, I've tried to warn her, but...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hydrogen peroxide and ear candles from time too time. Also, q-tips are not to be inserted into the ear canal.
View Quote

Not even the tip.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and if it's bad, hydrogen peroxide.
I use Qtips every morning after my shower, don't just shove it in, you're swabbing, not stabbing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Quit using them?  

I'd think you'd want to use them to get the wax out.

What'd he tell you to use, your car keys?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, I sure have. I buy one of those Murine kits at the drug store every few years and shock myself both by how much nasty crap comes out and by how much better I can hear after doing it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This works pretty well for me.

ETA: I've used q tips since I was a kid and never had an issue. I'm not a retard, so, that may have something to do with it. If you jam it in and it hurts, you've gone too far.

ETA2 : Hardly anything turns my stomach, but the ear wax candle they did on Mythbusters came close to making me gag.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quit using them?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quit using them?  

They make a fun little plastic thing with a round hook on the end of it. You stick it in, twist it a little and pull it out. I go all the way in.....I'm almost on the drum, which is a little painful, and there's almost something like a gag reflex when you touch it. Takes a steady and gentle hand, but damn, the shit it pulls out.    
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hydrogen peroxide and ear candles from time too time.
View Quote

Followed up by a coffee enema, liver flush and a tarot reading.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hydrogen peroxide and ear candles from time too time.

Yup.  Ear candles don't do shit.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ear candles are totally fake, you know that right?
Same as those pads for your feet that suck out toxins!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd say this happens to me every six months or so. I use one of those squirty bulbs and warm water to blast the wax out. The glob is usually the size of a pencil eraser. The difference in hearing is incredible. I don't usually notice until the wax entirely seals up my ear and I'm fully deaf.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I have this problem also, go to a Walmart or CVS and buy an ear flush kit. You can skip the doctor visit and do what they do. The kits are cheap.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quit using them?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quit using them?  

The tip of your index finger can access every part of your ear but the canal.

Just clean them when you are in the shower.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I've tried everything to clean it out myself. Going to have the GF go in with some tweezers tonight and if that doesn't work then I may just take a trip to the emergency room. As of right now I cannot hear out of my right ear and have a bad migraine from this shit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had it happen a couple of times. Get an ear bulb from the drug store and use it to squirt warm water in your ear to force it out. Take it into the shower with you so you don't make a mess. I do it every now and then for maintenance. I really notice the difference in my hearing after doing it even without a full blockage.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've tried everything to clean it out myself. Going to have the GF go in with some tweezers tonight and if that doesn't work then I may just take a trip to the emergency room. As of right now I cannot hear out of my right ear and have a bad migraine from this shit.
View Quote

So, you've tried the Murine kit? Comes with drops and a bulb for hot water?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought someone would have made a family guy reference by now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I know right about age 35 my ear wax and nose hair production tripled.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep, I sure have. I buy one of those Murine kits at the drug store every few years and shock myself both by how much nasty crap comes out and by how much better I can hear after doing it.
View Quote

This is the answer. It comes with a peroxide solution you squirt into your ear, wait 5 minutes and then use a bulb plunger to squirt your ear out. Ears feel brand new after, no way would I use a Q-tip and smear shit around in my ears.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lay on your left side and pour in hyrdrogen peroxide till your ear is full.  Lay there for 5 min.  Repeat. Then get in the shower with the water as hot as you can stand and let it spray down in there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yea. I've tried them all. The past three times I've been they've sucked it out with a tool.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#32]
My sister needed peroxide in her ears pretty much monthly when she was a kid, the stuff that would come out was terrible.

As far as I know mine cycle was out just fine, I wear foam ear plugs a lot though, and they usually do a good job of pulling out big blobs of the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably not a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, I have that problem.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Does it look like this OP?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Clean your ears on a daily basis so the wax can't build up and become impacted.  I rinse my ears in the shower and use Q-tips everyday and have never had a problem with impacted wax.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I use an old Water Pic to flush out impacted wax.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to have a similar problem.  Now, I use a bulb syringe once a month and blast out both ears.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Oh yea. I've tried them all. The past three times I've been they've sucked it out with a tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you've got it bad then. I'd get to the doctor and let them work on you. Probably gonna hurt like heck.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Search for "cockroach + ear" if you want to get to the weird section of YouTube.

I had to have my GP go to town flushing out a piece of wax that was sitting just perfectly to block my hearing, took around 15 minutes before he finally got it. Maybe I should have left it and saved money on ear protectors.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#43]

That looks like caramel.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Clean your ears on a daily basis so the wax can't build up and become impacted.  I rinse my ears in the shower and use Q-tips everyday and have never had a problem with impacted wax.

View Quote

I do. In fact its pretty much impossible to be in the shower and not rinse your ears. Q-Tips are a no-no as they push the wax deeper in the ear causing the impact.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've had it happen a couple of times. Get an ear bulb from the drug store and use it to squirt warm water in your ear to force it out. Take it into the shower with you so you don't make a mess. I do it every now and then for maintenance. I really notice the difference in my hearing after doing it even without a full blockage.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I use debrox drops and a big earwax syringe with hot water to blow the shit out.  The syringe is 10 times better than the bulb.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Freaking ear turds!  Poop thread.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I use Qtips every morning after my shower, don't just shove it in, you're swabbing, not stabbing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. I use Q-Tips all the time and I've never had any issues. If you're dumb enough to use them like a ram rod, then you get what you deserve.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Me too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

That was cool. It looked like blue cheese.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I quit using Q-tips years ago; they packed in as much stuff as they got out.  Now I kinda gently scrape around in them with a nail from my 15 gauge trim nailer.  Works way better.  Just remember to use the head end, not the pointy one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top