Personally, I don't have any problem with immigrants or hispanics
THE ILLEGALS NEED TO BE DEPORTED
CLOSE THE BORDER

Immigration battle on horizon
Eunice Moscoso
Cox News Service
Sep. 20, 2005
www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/12693072.htm
WASHINGTON - Hispanic organizations, immigrant advocates, business groups and lawmakers are gearing up for what could be a major showdown on immigration.

As Congress prepares to tackle the topic, proponents of a plan to allow illegal immigrants to apply for temporary work visas are planning a lobbying blitz, starting with a rally today in Washington, D.C., the first of several nationwide.

"The immigration debate is getting more and more ripe and ready for the picking," said Angela Kelley, deputy director of the National Immigration Forum, an immigrant advocacy group. "The breadth of support for change is enormous."

Some House Republicans and groups pushing for stronger immigration controls, however, vow to block any proposal that includes amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., a critic of illegal immigration, spent much of August traveling to several states -- including Iowa, Utah, California, Arizona and New Hampshire -- to discuss the topic with citizens concerned about increasing numbers of illegal immigrants in their communities.

"I used to say that I'm going to go into all these states and build a fire around the immigration issue. I don't say it anymore. The fire is raging. It is burning everywhere," said Tancredo, who leads an 88-member House caucus pushing for stronger immigration controls.

President Bush and pro-business lawmakers back the temporary worker program, which would allow millions of immigrants, including those here illegally, to work in the United States for a number of years.

Some political observers say the White House is trying to develop a plan to overhaul immigration law while not angering those on the right who prefer a crackdown on illegal immigrants.

"They're trying to figure out whether they can effectively reform the system without making the people who don't like immigrants mad," said Cecilia Munoz, vice president for policy at the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic civil rights group and one of the sponsors of today's rally. "And the answer to that is no, you can't do it. You have to pick."

The rally will be followed by a day of lobbying on Capitol Hill. Similar rallies and town hall meetings are planned in the fall in Boston, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, and Phoenix, organizers said.

The events are designed to support a proposal by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., that would create two new visa categories for immigrant workers, who could remain in the United States for up to six years.

Illegal immigrants at the time the legislation takes effect, and their spouses and children, would be allowed to apply for one of the visas as long as they show a work history and no criminal record, meet English and civics requirements, and pay a fine. The plan also offers a path to permanent residency and citizenship for the workers.

A competing proposal, by Sens. John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., includes tough border enforcement measures and requires all illegal immigrants to return to their countries of origin within five years before applying as temporary workers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:15:12 PM EDT
Deport all illegal aliens!
We have enough illegal without illegal aliens adding to the problem.
I support a streamlined immigration process/reform for people
who want to become Americans.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:26:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 5:26:34 PM EDT by 22bad]

Originally Posted By double_wielder:
Deport all illegal aliens!
We have enough illegal without illegal aliens adding to the problem.
I support a streamlined immigration process/reform for people
who want to become Americans.

+1 on that, streamline the process, increase the number allowed, but
DEPORT THE CRIMINALS THAT CROSSED THE BORDER ILLEGALLY
Top Top