Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2018 10:36:02 PM EDT
Hello!

We have a Nikon D80 that we inherited as my stepdad upgraded his camera. My wife takes a lot of pics with her android cell phone and also a ton with the D80 now as well.

While I normally just copy all the camera pics to the Synology DS415play nas it got me thinking if there is a way to sync everything up so I keep a copy of all the pics both in the cloud and on my nas.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard to use Google photos and Cloudsync from another friend to manage it all but I wanted to ask those with more experience.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello!

We have a Nikon D80 that we inherited as my stepdad upgraded his camera. My wife takes a lot of pics with her android cell phone and also a ton with the D80 now as well.

While I normally just copy all the camera pics to the Synology DS415play nas it got me thinking if there is a way to sync everything up so I keep a copy of all the pics both in the cloud and on my nas.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard to use Google photos and Cloudsync from another friend to manage it all but I wanted to ask those with more experience.

Thanks!
View Quote
Personally I would just back up the NAS to the cloud with whatever service you like. I use they hyper backup package and back do an encrypted copy of the really important files to gdrive. What software on the NAS have you been using? I am just starting to use the NAS for my photos and can't decide between Plex and photostation.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I use CrashPlan for Small Business. It's $120/year, but I consider that a reasonable price for continuous backup of unlimited data and permanent retention of deleted files. (We all delete files we wish we hadn't and sometimes don't realize it until weeks or months later.)

Carbonite.com is a bit less expensive at $72/year. I left Carbonite due to the limitations of their package (particularly file versioning, deleted file retention, and unlimited storage [currently ~5TB for my system]), but you may not have the same needs that I do.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I store my photos on my Synology as a network mapped drive from my computer, and then use the Synology cloud sync to copy all the photos to my OneDrive account. Works quite well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a prime account, Amazon gives you unlimited photo storage for free.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a prime account, Amazon gives you unlimited photo storage for free.
View Quote
There are caveats to that though.  I doubt the Op falls under them, but if you sell prints, have a website linked to the photos, etc, it can get weird.  That said, grain of salt on this as my memory sucks.

Nikon Image Space gives everyone 2gb for free, or 20gb if you have a Nikon camera btw.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I do the following:

All RAWs remain on their SD card, I have a waterproof case I store them in.  
iPhone pics get backed up via USB stick.
All photos get imported onto a 1 TB external drive, including Lightroom catalog.
Catalog backup on another USB stick.
No NAS that can be accessed remotely due to port security concerns.
I publish albums via Flickr for friends and family.

So my favorite photos are stored in three locations:  Original device or SD card, my external HDD, or Flickr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top