Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2010 7:25:19 AM EDT
I can't try either out for a while because I just had shoulder surgery a couple weeks ago.

I did Bushidokan for a short while when I was very young but ended switching to Okinawan Kenpo.

I am looking for something to get active in that I'm interested in and this does just that.

I have zero experience with Krav.

Anyone have any input as to which one I should get into.

And before its said, I know I need to try them both out and see which I like better. I can't do that right now so this is just a discussion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Krav was awesome but it's fuckin' crazy expensive in our area.  Mike took Krav for a while - I don't recall who he took it with.

I took it for a bit in HS and I'd love to do it again but the $$$$ is outrageous.  I'm talkin' "new AR build every month" outrageous.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Krav = $$, highly effective though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Krav was awesome but it's fuckin' crazy expensive in our area.  Mike took Krav for a while - I don't recall who he took it with.

I took it for a bit in HS and I'd love to do it again but the $$$$ is outrageous.  I'm talkin' "new AR build every month" outrageous.

Ya I was wondering about that. They don't say on their website and there's only one I'm aware of.

Blue Valley Karate is the most reputable Bushidokan dojo I know of.  They are $850 for a year or the lowest time is $300 for three months. A little more reasonable I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I've researched, Krav Magna is a flashy movie star fight sequence discipline with near zero practical combat applications. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Muay Thai is better than either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Muay Thai is better than either.

QFT.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
systema
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

From what I've researched, Krav Magna is a flashy movie star fight sequence discipline with near zero practical combat applications. YMMV.

LOL that couldn't be more wrong.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Krav is awesome. Developed purely for the kicking of ass, without any goofy 'meditate as the bare-assed baboon under the lotus!' psuedo-spirituality crap you get in too many other forms.

Plus, VERY firearm friendly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL that couldn't be more wrong.

I think he meant tai kwon do.

Muat thai huh? Lemme see what we got around  here and get back to this thread.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't try either out for a while because I just had shoulder surgery a couple weeks ago.

I did Bushidokan for a short while when I was very young but ended switching to Okinawan Kenpo.

I am looking for something to get active in that I'm interested in and this does just that.

And before its said, I know I need to try them both out and see which I like better. I can't do that right now so this is just a discussion.

You do know you will have to do some serious rehab before you go dabblin in H2H.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#14]
If I'm misinformed or thinking of something else, I apologize. We'll see.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I took a college self defense class that was based on Krav Maga.  I liked it enough that I want to find a local class to learn more.  It was a simple, no BS, means of disabling an attacker so that you can get away from the threat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I love Krav.  The place I went was very reasonable.

That said, I'm currently taking a break.  I just needed to mix up my workout.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Any of you ever hear of SCAR, and not the rifle. I got the tapes back when I was in high school, had to return them in order to pay for some classes at the time but it was great. I still know most of it as it is completely natural and based on physiology. I love all the weapon disarming, used it with pellet guns... Never shot, it works and didn't need to be in shape or have any background in martial arts.

I checked there website and it still looks good. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Then I guess you haven't done enough research.

Krav is not flashy.  It is brutal and ugly and works.  Of course, where you learn matters.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then I guess you haven't done enough research.

Krav is not flashy.  It is brutal and ugly and works.  Of course, where you learn matters.

I may very well stand corrected. The sites I stumbled on were goofy guys telling their subjects "OK, hold this pistol forward, with your back leg out a bit, and you don't know I'm here...." "Ok, I'm going to disarm you and turn the weapon on you."

Maybe not the most reputable sights, but I got a laugh.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know you will have to do some serious rehab before you go dabblin in H2H.

I was going to ignore this, but I just had to laugh lol. ETA: I did mention this twice right? Lol

Thanks dude.

So do you have any input in either of the two martial arts I mentioned, or even Muay Thai?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Glock-Fu /Ford-pow seems to work for me
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Pick ANYTHING and just learn it.  Learning anything to a mid level - whether it be krav, muay thai, karate, TKD, judo, boxing, savate - and staying in shape will put you ahead of 99% of the population.  

Also keep in mind that a LOT depends on the school and the instructors and on YOU.  

You might find an on paper perfect system, and have a dick instructor or a class full of people you hate, and it'll suck and you'll have to find something else.  Or you might find an injury prevents you from doing certain key/critical moves that are necessary to advancement.

Bottom line, research instructors in your area as much as you research the "art".  Observe a class or two and then take an intro/try out class before committing a load of cash to the wrong place.

Oh, and don't ignore plain old boxing.  Being able to slip a punch, learning fast hands, learning to bob, and how to take a punch is unbelievably rare these days.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Can you tell us what you are looking to get out of it?  There's a big difference between fighting styles and an even bigger difference on where different styles are taught.  Some schools are nothing but money making pyramid schemes that slowly increase your commitment to them and increase the amount you have to pay to gain rank.  There are some very good schools as well but you need to figure out one big thing in my opinion; Are you there to learn an art (some of these "arts" more closely resemble dance) or to learn how to fight?  Separating it even further, do you want to learn to fight in a ring or on the street?  

Answer these questions and then we can give more informed advice.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I should note that this is mainly for weight loss and self defense is a secondary goal although I still want to be able to fight on the street, no rings here.

I have lost 30 lbs with dieting. I am 5' 7" 212 right now.

Working out never really lasted for me but I love martial arts and I think this will keep me active and help me get in shape and lose more weight.

To add to that I think I would enjoy a martial art more than boxing. I don't want to dance. I want to fight, get a good workout, and have a sharp technique mixed in.

Does this make any sense? Lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oh, and don't ignore plain old boxing.  Being able to slip a punch, learning fast hands, learning to bob, and how to take a punch is unbelievably rare these days.

That's sage advice right there.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first lesson in how to give a beating is how to take one
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#28]
So true.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A year training western boxing will put you ahead of 99% of the martial artists out there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A year training western boxing will put you ahead of 99% of the martial artists out there.

Ill look into it. Iv never tried it. I think that's the first thing I'll try when I'm fine with this fucking shoulder. I have a buddy that just started it and he really likes it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

More like non-flashy, even sloppy looking, but simple and effective.

I took it for a few years and liked it much more than the more traditional stuff I had studied.

I can't comment on  Bushidokan, having never tried it, but KM is good to go.

ETA: plain old boxing is great to practice in addition to anything else.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't just study one martial art, they all have things to offer. The gym I belong to is a "fighting" gym. $85 per month. The have instructors that teach Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ and MMA with combat conditioning classes, ab workouts ect ect.

I rotate between the different classes and get way more out of it as well as better conditioning than I ever did when I previously went to schools that specialized in 1 or 2 similar disciplines.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That's not true at all. In fact, it's contrary to everything you said. There is nothing flashy about it. It is very nasty stuff, not ment to fool around with your opponent, but to incapacitate or kill them almost immediately.

Think of it as fighting dirty on steroids.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This x10.

Fighting is multidimensional though, thats why I recommended a "fighting" gym that teaches various styles including boxing. Many fights will end up on the ground so BJJ/MMA will keep you covered there.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Don't just study one martial art, they all have things to offer. The gym I belong to is a "fighting" gym. $85 per month. The have instructors that teach Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ and MMA with combat conditioning classes, ab workouts ect ect.

I rotate between the different classes and get way more out of it as well as better conditioning than I ever did when I previously went to schools that specialized in 1 or 2 similar disciplines.

Which one is that? Sounds pretty cool.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Muay Thai and Judo is a fucking nightmare combo.Ive trained in several martial arts including Brazilian Jiujitsu,Muay Thai,Judo,Shotokan,and some second hand Kempo and wrestling.Boxed Golden Gloves as a youth.Also had alot of real world fights.You don't want to be on the ground for any length of time in a street fight.It has been my experience that tossing someone into a large inanimate object like a dumpster,car,or the fucking Earth tends to knock the stupid out of people.Muay Thai is wicked brutal stand up and the clinch game is sheer murder.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Muay Thai and Judo is a fucking nightmare combo.Ive trained in several martial arts including Brazilian Jiujitsu,Muay Thai,Judo,Shotokan,and some second hand Kempo and wrestling.Boxed Golden Gloves as a youth.Also had alot of real world fights.You don't want to be on the ground for any length of time in a street fight.It has been my experience that tossing someone into a large inanimate object like a dumpster,car,or the fucking Earth tends to knock the stupid out of people.Muay Thai is wicked brutal stand up and the clinch game is sheer murder.

This and often small dense inanimate objects tend to get hurled towards your noggin IE "catch a brick mf'er"

It is important to have a complete onion layered defense and the skills and conditioning to be able to get up close and personal but in practical application if you can get distance you always should unless your job or defense of others requires you to close with misguided youth for example an associate of mine ended up beating someone to death with a newspaper stand after being shot
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The sites I stumbled on were goofy guys telling their subjects "OK, hold this pistol forward, with your back leg out a bit, and you don't know I'm here...." "Ok, I'm going to disarm you and turn the weapon on you."

Thats my view of most martial arts.

"Grab my arm."
"No, not there."
"That's too low."
"There, that's perfect. Get ready for the ass kicking of your life!"

That said, if it gets your rocks off, then all the power to ya.

I went to one Krav class and it was awesome. It was practical and logical: all you do in Krav is fuck people up, as quickly as possible. Wish I could afford it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#39]
What about Bukakee, heard it works wonders at keeping people away.

LOL

J-
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#40]
are those your only options??

Of all the ones i took, i prefered kodokan judo the best.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

"Grab my arm."

"No, not there."

"That's too low."

"There, that's perfect. Get ready for the ass kicking of your life!"

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#42]
How about Sambo?

Out of your choices, definitely go with Krav.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I should note that this is mainly for weight loss and self defense is a secondary goal although I still want to be able to fight on the street, no rings here.

I have lost 30 lbs with dieting. I am 5' 7" 212 right now.

Working out never really lasted for me but I love martial arts and I think this will keep me active and help me get in shape and lose more weight.

To add to that I think I would enjoy a martial art more than boxing. I don't want to dance. I want to fight, get a good workout, and have a sharp technique mixed in.

Does this make any sense? Lol

I get a good workout in BJJ.

I think boxing or Mui Thai would be a great workout, they are known for an excellent cardio workout.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

How about Sambo?

Those were some good pancakes.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at what wins in MMA. It is mostly a mix of boxing or Mui Thai with BJJ or wrestling.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Mind set mind set mind set..Gun, knife, fist or tooth pick... If you're not going all in then stay the fuck out... Second place in a fight can be the death of you.. So if you're going to train for self defence find a instructor that will teach mind set.. If you're  training for fitness the do what ever makes you happy...Krav Maga.. if taught right is 90% mind set 10% technique..
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I think rolling at a good BJJ school is a great way to improve your cardio.  A hour of rolling is brutal!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Uh, no.

I took an intro course in Krav Maga not too long ago.  I was very impressed, to say the least.  It was a kick-butt workout and very practical.  It was very no-nonsense––all about identifying and defeating a threat in the swiftest and most effective manner possible.  If you want to seriously stop a threat and you can't access/use a firearm for some reason, Krav Maga is good training to stop. it. now.

ETA: The thing I liked about the training was you were supposed to basically go full-out.  There was a lot of emphasis on bringing as much of the "real world" into the training as possible.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Krav = kick nuts, stomp knees, gouge eyes, if your opponent is down, stomp on his throat, knees, nuts, eyes...repeat, repeat, repeat...

No forms, no kata, just kill him like the piece of pal––- shit that he is. period.

Fight like your life depended on it. Fight as if you fall, 20 bad guys will tap-dance on your ribcage until you're dead, then they all will gang-rape your wife, daughter, and then your grandmother, while they set up housekeeping in YOUR house, toast your dead body with your own booze and smoke all your good cigars while laughing about how blood gushed out of your eyes while they stomped on your dead skull.

There, I just saved you a ton of money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Your research is flawed.

Krav Maga is the IDF's martial art. It has zero aesthetics, and it is designed to do damage. There are no tournaments, you learn to use whatever is at hand.

Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top