Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2012 3:23:03 PM EST
So many things have been written and filmed about Lincoln but almost nothing about Jefferson Davis.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:24:08 PM EST
did he open the first IHOP?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:26:26 PM EST
I won't one on Adam Smith.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:27:12 PM EST
How about one on Old Hickory?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:27:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

No it was KFC. I think he was a major.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:27:56 PM EST
I'm with you. The previews show Lincoln as a die hard slavery opponent which is completely false. I'd like to hear if the whole movie reflects that
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:28:59 PM EST
Jefferson Davis –– Zombie Killer
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:29:54 PM EST
Jeff Davis is a major reason why the Corn-feds lost. Bowing to political pressure, he tried to defend everything and lost everything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:30:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By Palm:

I want one on David Hume, but Adam Smith would play a major role, of course.

In the interest of diversity, a movie about a young Jewish senator from Louisiana challenging then senator Jeff Davis to a duel might be interesting.

Later on, he becomes both the first Jewish secretary of war, and secretary of state of any north American country.

Then again, no one has ever made a movie about David Ricardo and Thomas Malthus, have they?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:31:02 PM EST
Nobody likes a loser
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:31:30 PM EST
I want a film on Martin Van Buren.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:32:19 PM EST
I'd like to see a modern one, especially focusing on the Battle of New Orleans..............of course we have the one with Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
How about one on Old Hickory?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:36:00 PM EST
It would lose money on a large scale just like the South did. Not too many people want to sit watching a 4 hr. bloviated movie about a self-made loser.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:39:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 3:40:59 PM EST by Bostonterrier97]

Originally Posted By grendelbane:

In the interest of diversity, a movie about a young Jewish senator from Louisiana challenging then senator Jeff Davis to a duel might be interesting.

Later on, he becomes both the first Jewish secretary of war, and secretary of state of any north American country.

Then again, no one has ever made a movie about David Ricardo and Thomas Malthus, have they?

The Confederacy Jewish Secretary of State: Judah P. Benjamin who was also known as the brains of the confederacy
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:44:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By Chisum:
It would lose money on a large scale just like the South did. Not too many people want to sit watching a 4 hr. bloviated movie about a self-made loser.

This
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:46:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Jeff Davis is a major reason why the Corn-feds lost. Bowing to political pressure, he tried to defend everything and lost everything.

And I've read he could be a bit of a micromanager.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:55:00 PM EST
I used to live down the street from Beauvoir. Sweet place.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:59:07 PM EST
He made an unholy deal with the vampires for their help at Gettysburg.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:26 PM EST
Treason doth never prosper, and what's the reason?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:05:32 PM EST
He can be played by John Cleese, what with the dressing in drag and all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:09:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By morningwood1429:
I'm with you. The previews show Lincoln as a die hard slavery opponent which is completely false. I'd like to hear if the whole movie reflects that

Yep, the continual re-writing of history...most kids today are just too fucking stupid or lazy to read history. Sad state of affairs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:11:00 PM EST
Hollywood would portray J. Davis as a homosexual athiest.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:14:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bostonterrier97:
So many things have been written and filmed about Lincoln but almost nothing about Jefferson Davis.

Because Jefferson Davis was a cantankerous, nasty asshole and during the Confederacy was considered an odorous tyrant (his nickname was "King Jeff")?

During his Army service he was dual-assigned as both post QM and company commander. He famously submitted a requisition to himself which he then denied (to himself) and then wrote memorandum arguing back and fort (with himself, in each role).

The only CSA general he was actually friends with (as much as his stick-up-the-ass personality would allow) was Braxton Bragg (another supercilious asshole and the best general Lincoln had).

Lee respected him as President and Davis let Lee run the Eastern theater. Davis constantly fucked with the Western theater and that's where the war was lost.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:17:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By Colonel_Angus:
Nobody likes a loser

/thread
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:17:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By ODA_564:

Because Jefferson Davis was a cantankerous, nasty asshole and during the Confederacy was considered an odorous tyrant (his nickname was "King Jeff")?

During his Army service he was dual-assigned as both post QM and company commander. He famously submitted a requisition to himself which he then denied (to himself) and then wrote memorandum arguing back and fort (with himself, in each role).

The only CSA general he was actually friends with (as much as his stick-up-the-ass personality would allow) was Braxton Bragg (another supercilious asshole and the best general Lincoln had).

Lee respected him as President and Davis let Lee run the Eastern theater. Davis constantly fucked with the Western theater and that's where the war was lost.

All we ask is to be let alone.” Jefferson Davis

I am a grouchy old man too and I agree with JD
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:21:12 PM EST
how bought a movie on sherman and his march to the sea. i would love to see all the overturned slave driven proto-rascals laying in the roads.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:29:44 PM EST
Has their ever been a movie on Mosby?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:33:34 PM EST
No how about General Lee. Id go see that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:04:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By thedreamer123:

They already made that. It was with Jessica Simpson.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:08:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By Butternut:

Yep, the continual re-writing of history...most kids today are just too fucking stupid or lazy to read history. Sad state of affairs.

The Republican Party was founded as an anti-Slavery party, Lincoln rode it to the top specifically due to his anti-Slavery views. His opponents often characterized him as a radical abolitionist who also wanted to grant all "negroes" full citizenship and voting rights, a charge Lincoln frequently deflected, preferring to appear more conservative.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:14:49 PM EST
Nobody likes a loser

This.
It's a corrilary of the winner writes the history books.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:15:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:

"All we ask is to be let alone.” Jefferson Davis

I am a grouchy old man too and I agree with JD

Unfortunately Davis couldn't leave anybody else alone. Every tyrannical thing people say Lincoln did, Davis did first and harder.

First American conscription.

First American income tax.

First American nationalization of industry (Mining and Niter Bureau plus arms producers).

Extensive seizure of private property without compensation (slaves for labor, cotton, ships).

First American fiat currency.

Declared martial law; suspended habeas corpus; usurped the sovereignty of the states (Conscription Bureau had its fingers in everything) which even Lincoln didn't do.

Lincoln was the kind of guy that let his subordinates do their job and didn't interfere unless they showed they couldn't. Davis incompetently micromanaged everyone and everything (except Lee, because no one micromanages Lee).

Lincoln would have left the South alone. He wanted to preserve the Union. The secessionists wanted to preserve slavery (reference every ordinance of secession and Stephen's Cotton Exchange speech, plus the deliberations of the Confederate consitutional convention in Montgomery - see A Government of Our Own: The Making of the Confederacy by William C. Davis; hardly a Yankee apologist).

Jefferson Davis reinvented himself postwar with The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government - 2 volumes of how po' ol' Jeff was failed by everybody but Lee (and even him).

Since he'd pretty much outlived all of his serious Confederate critics, he got to tell his version just as the UDC got cranking on the 'moonlight and magnolias' myth of the Lost Cause.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:18:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By thedreamer123:

That move was called the Dukes of Hazzard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:18:48 PM EST
I'd like one on Teddy Roosevelt, Bass Reeve, perhaps even Truman. It'd be something to try to understand his thinking behind his decision to use nukes.
Except they'd PC the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:19:31 PM EST

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:20:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:21:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By grendelbane:

The Confederacy Jewish Secretary of State: Judah P. Benjamin who was also known as the brains of the confederacy
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Gamble_Plantation_Judah.P.Benjamin_Photo.JPG/488px-Gamble_Plantation_Judah.P.Benjamin_Photo.JPG

How did that turn out for the CSA?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:30:41 PM EST
Yeah the grand finish can be him running for his life wearing a dress
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:12:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 7:13:49 PM EST by Fatbert]

Originally Posted By InjunJoe:
Yeah the grand finish can be him running for his life wearing a dress

The Museum of the Confederacy has a Very Serious plaque about that which says in no uncertain terms that the idea of "the President in petticoats" is a myth made up by Yankee Carpetbaggers to to besmirch the Honor of A True Southern Gentlemen and that Jefferson Davis Is Serious Business.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:19:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By CarbineDad:
Jefferson Davis –– Zombie Killer Cross dresser

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:28:15 PM EST
Nobody likes a loser

Yep.

And for some reason the OP's avatar fills me with rage and makes me want to punch that hand rubbing little weirdo in the face. WTF is that from and why do you use it?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:00:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:08:28 PM EST
it would more than likely go straight to dvd. i think i understand where your coming from. we are only 47% according to fox news.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:10:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By Eric802:
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

The Republican Party was founded as an anti-Slavery party, Lincoln rode it to the top specifically due to his anti-Slavery views. His opponents often characterized him as a radical abolitionist who also wanted to grant all "negroes" full citizenship and voting rights, a charge Lincoln frequently deflected, preferring to appear more conservative.

This. Lincoln may not have believed in equality, but he was certainly anti-slavery.

But he waited to pass the emancipation proclamation until secession. His first priority was preserving the union. I guess I don't have to say this but the movie seems to portray him as an abolishonist no matter what. That's where my problem lies. If the states didn't secede after he was voted in I very highly disagree that emancipation would have been granted for the next decade at least
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:13:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By USC45:
I used to live down the street from Beauvoir. Sweet place.

Agree! It was amazing that his house was the only thing on the property that (mostly)survived Katrina.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:13:56 PM EST

Shouldn't his name have been Smelly King Jeff, then?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:23:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:54:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By Eric802:
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

This. Lincoln may not have believed in equality, but he was certainly anti-slavery.

But he waited to pass the emancipation proclamation until secession. His first priority was preserving the union. I guess I don't have to say this but the movie seems to portray him as an abolishonist no matter what. That's where my problem lies. If the states didn't secede after he was voted in I very highly disagree that emancipation would have been granted for the next decade at least

The president if not the legislature, and emancipation under normal circumstances would have required more than that - likely an amendment. The beef with Lincoln was in his reluctance to aggressively enforce things like the Fugitive Slave Act, the types of Justices he would appoint, etc.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:43:14 AM EST
Nobody likes a loser

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:06:29 AM EST
Nobody likes a loser

Jefferson Davis died of natural causes at the ripe old age of 81.

Abraham Lincoln died from a big ass bullet hole in his head age at 56.

Who's the loser again?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:09:06 AM EST

No, it was the first Waffle House. His wife Varina was the head cook.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top