Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2005 8:00:27 PM EDT
Getting ready to submit my paperwork, and im still unsure if i should put in for Air or Ground. There are an equal amount of spots open where im at. I'd say im 75% ground decided, and that is growing by the day. My dad was in the Navy and flew, so I think it would be cool going to the same place for flight training, and kind of following in his footsteps, but then again i dont have that great of a relation with him.

The MOS for ground I want to get is either MOS 0203 Intelligence, or MOS 0301/0303 Infantry. My first choice would be MOS 0203 Intel. This is what the MOS book I have says about it:

1. Introduction.

If you are attracted to the Infantry occupational foeld and the intelligence field, the Ground Intelligence MOS may offer the best of both worlds. Created in 1994 to improve itelligence at the tactical level in the Marine Corps, this field provides intelligence officers with an opportunity to command at the onset of their careers.

2. What is this MOS like?

Initially, the Ground Intelligence officer will serve as a scout sniper platoon commander in the infantry battalion. In this respect, this MOS is much like the infantry for the first 12 to 18 months. Upons successful completion of this first billet, you will probably serve as an intelligence officer on a battalion, regiment, or division staff. If you particularly enjoyed commandinga scout sniper platoon, you may volunteer to command a reconnaissanve platoon. If selected, follorwing a rigorous screening process, you will command a reconaissance platoon for approxamately 24 months. You must be eligible for top secret clearence with access to special compartmentalized information (TS/SCI) based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI).

3.What will i do after TBS before i get to my first billet?

Before leaving Quantico, you will attend IOC for 10 weeks along with your infantry contemporaries. Upon graduation from IOC, ground intelligence officers will attend SSPC (Scout Sniper Platoon Commander Course) at the Scour Sniper Instructor School at Weapons Training Battalion for two weeks. Follorwing SSPC, you will attend the six-week Ground Intelligence Officer Course (GIOC) at the Navy/Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center in Dam Neck, Virginia. Here you will learn the requisite skills to perform as an intelligence officer on a battalion, regiment or division staff.

4. What will my first tour be like?

All Ground Intelligence officers will be assigned to one of the three divisions within the Marine Corps. Those assigned to First Marine Division and Second Marine Division may serve temporarily on the division intelligence officer's staff until they can be permanently assigned to one of the infantry battalions as a scout sniper platoon commander. The officers assigned to Third Marine Division in Okinawa may serve on the division staff for a longer period of time. In some cases, these officers may be selected to serve as reconnaissance platoon commanders and may receive some of their requisite training prior to departing for Okinawa.

Commanding a scout sniper platoon is a physically and mentally challenging job. Scout sniper platoons cosist of 8 two-man teams and a small headquarters section. The mission of these teams is to support combat operations by providing precision direct fire on selected targets, controlling supporting arms, and collecting and reporting information. You are responsible for training the teams and will work closely with the battalion intelligence officer and battalionoperations officer in their employment.

Does anyone have any experience or information on this MOS?

Also, does anyone have any experience or info for Infantry?

I'm considering Infantry heavily, im not sure if I should go for Infantry as my #1 choice or not. Is or has anyone here done this?

Is anyone here a USMC Aviator? What do you think of your choice?

Im just not sure what to put in for, as of now I put in for Aviation because I want to pass a flight physical.

What do the ARFCOM Marines think?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:26:25 PM EDT
i was ground, and im currently a reservist in the airwing. if i understand correctly flight school seats are 100% competitive based upon your performance in OCS. you might want to bounce this off your OSO or go visit the closest Marine reserve unit and speak with a career planner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:37:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:
i was ground, and im currently a reservist in the airwing. if i understand correctly flight school seats are 100% competitive based upon your performance in OCS. you might want to bounce this off your OSO or go visit the closest Marine reserve unit and speak with a career planner.

Not for what I am going into. PLC; Platoon Leadership Class. You go to OCS during college summers either as air or ground. For air you must past the ATSB and flight physical. Once through OCS you go to TBS and then onto Flight training separately than people going ground. Once through flight training, which aircraft you will be assigned to yes, depends on your class standing and availibility.

If i go ground, im open to any ground MOS after OCS, and compete for MOS's by my class standing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:41:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 8:43:17 PM EDT by mmx1]
First of all, congrats on your choice. It's a good program.

I went to PLC-combined on an aviation contract this summer; hurt in week 6; sent home week 7. Going back next summer. Lemme know if you have any Q's about the program or the ASTB, I help out my OSO with tutoring aviation applicants for the ASTB. The guys at www.airwarriors.com and marineocs.com are also very helpful.

Aviation guarantees are given during the selection process for OCS. Your performance at OCS and TBS cannot cause you to lose your contract but it can (obviously) drop you from the Marine Cops. Some air slots do open up in the TBS selection process, but if you want to fly, get the guarantee - the Marine Corps is the only branch that gives out aviatison guarantees. It's hurting pretty bad for aviators; they're at about 80% strength in fixed wing and 93% or so in rotary as of 2005. As of last fall they were giving 1-point waivers (letting you score 1 point below the minimums) on the ASTB pretty regularly, though I hear this has slowed.

If you think you may want ground, though, go ground - it keeps your options open and a few aviation slots do open up at TBS from time to time should you end up wanting it. It's a pain to try to drop the aviation part of your contract once you've graduated OCS. A buddy sf mine looked into dropping his aviation contract to go infantry (OCS brainwashed him :-) ), and ended up deciding it wasn't worth the hassle.

And whatever you do, start running hard and often. Running's your bread & butter down there; and if you can handle it pretty well, you'll have a much easier time. I couldn't keep up physically and man, that brought me no end of grief.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:49:07 PM EDT
Nothing looks more impressive on a resume than leading Marines in combat, FACT. I'm not knocking our pilots.

If you think this will be your career, go ground, 03 ...but hey I'm a little biased. Tough decision but Good luck.

Kill babies!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:50:17 PM EDT
mmx1, They still out at Camp Upshur? My Dad went through in the 50's and I went in the early 80's. v1BMF listen to mmx1 and run, run and them run some more. Oh yea 03 all the way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:51:00 PM EDT
What the hell?
Aren't ALL Marines riflemen FIRST?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:54:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
What the hell?

Pure propaganda my man.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 9:07:49 PM EDT by RS0802]

Originally Posted By 1BMF:

1. Introduction.

If you are attracted to the Infantry occupational foeld and the intelligence field, the Ground Intelligence MOS may offer the best of both worlds. Created in 1994 to improve itelligence at the tactical level in the Marine Corps, this field provides intelligence officers with an opportunity to command at the onset of their careers.

You will get to go through the Infantry Officer Course. Same as 0302's. However, you will not be doing anything close to what they will. You will have a platoon. This platoon will include the snipers in HQ companies in infantry bn's. However, you will not be doing the high speed stuff they do. You might get to shoot the weapons at a range but you would never do a real world mission with them. You will be working in a COC trying to update maps and enemy sitreps so they can complete their mission. Your snipers would be sent all over the place depending upon operational requirements. You will also become very good at power point. You will be doing the above while all of your friends are leading infantry platoons on patrols and convoys.

2. What is this MOS like?

Initially, the Ground Intelligence officer will serve as a scout sniper platoon commander in the infantry battalion. In this respect, this MOS is much like the infantry for the first 12 to 18 months. This is BS. See above.

Personally I spent two years in an Infantry Bn. I've seen the ups and downs to that MOS. You will be a BN level Officer. Meaning you will spend massive amounts of time with Majors, Captains, and the Bn CO at the beginning of your fleet time. This means less time with your Marines. Believe me you want to spend time with your Marines as a Junior Lt. Not the BN staff. If you became an 0302 you would spend all of your time with your Marines. You would help train them into the ultimate team. In my opinion it is more gratifying.

Whatever you do. You will have a great time and meet the best friends of your life. I've been on three deployments and have seen most of asia and the middle east. The way the op tempo is now. You will do the same.

Semper Fi
RS

eta: You need to ask the OSO about the thirds rule that is used for determining your MOS. In short your TBS class is divided into thirds(ground officers flyboys don't count). Each third has a certain number of each type of MOS. You are then assigned an MOS based on your standing in that third plus your with list. I had a few buddies who ended up with number 16 on thier list. I had number 2. I guess the Marine Corps does this in order to keep a quality spread.

For example we only had two spots for 0203 for around 180 Lt's. One spot went to the 1st third and the other went to the third third. If you finish in the middle third. You will have no chance of getting your first choice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 4:06:16 PM EDT by ZitiForBreakfast]
Never heard of a Ground Officer flunking out of school and being sent to flight school.

Semper Fi.

I am a former grunt turned air winger
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:06:27 PM EDT
if you go air, look forward to a LONG time before you reach a combat unit. An Aquaintance of mine just got his first operational assignment, after it took only a mere 4 years!! from OCS, to the end of flight training, from what he heard that was pretty normal
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:08:53 PM EDT

What the hell?

And as a corollary, all Marine officers are infantry platoon leaders first (hence the name of PLC). They don't make EVERY officer go through 8 months (OCS + TBS) of infantry officer training for nothing.

Firedog, I'm not too sure what area is denoted Camp Upshur; I think that's where TBS is located. The OCS site says TBS moved from Brown Field to Camp Upshur in 1955, and OCS took over Brown Field, where it remains.

Oh, btw, Marine Times is doing an online feature on OCS/TBS: www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:10:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yzl337:
if you go air, look forward to a LONG time before you reach a combat unit. An Aquaintance of mine just got his first operational assignment, after it took only a mere 4 years!! from OCS, to the end of flight training, from what he heard that was pretty normal

I was just coming home off my third deployment and ran into an OCS and TBS buddy who was flying out to meet his unit. He is a C-130 pilot. I did all that while he was still in school. Imagine doing college twice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:14:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yzl337:

That's the one thing I hate about aviation: another 4 years in school, I probably won't enter the fleet until Bush is out of office; I may be looking at 8 years of fleet time under Madame Hitlery. My college Republican buddies better not let me down in 2008.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:18:11 PM EDT
What is the commitment for aviation now? 10 years active?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:19:55 PM EDT

What is the commitment for aviation now? 10 years active?

6 for rotary, 8 for fixed-wing - AFTER you get winged.
That's another 2-3 years (less for rotary), so it's anywhere from 8 to 11.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:32:21 PM EDT
above all else- go officer

(was almost there... i'm now 0311 at the bottom of the big shit barrel....)

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:00:29 PM EDT
My dad flew P-3s and is now working for United Airlines. Until i turned 18 i wanted to be a Aviator for the Navy or Marines. That all changed when i bought my first AR. Ive decided to go Infantry, so im going to put in for ground. Thinking about it, since it will be a life changing decision, if i become a pilot, what will i be able to do after i get out? Cant do what my dad did and become an airline pilot, since he barely has a job even if it is 15 years from now. Second, i dont want that lifestyle if i ever have a family.

LOL, whenever I would take my AR out, my dad would say sarcastically "If you like guns so much, why dont you just join the Marines?" Fast forward to yesterday, when i told him i wanted to go Infantry, he about shit a brick Oh well, he still supports me. But his opinion wasnt going to affect my decision anyways.

Physically, i workout regularly at the HUGE gym they have at campus here. But they also have Semper Fi Society that i also joined. They do PT on campus, to prep the guys that are applying for PLC. Im really glad I got in early, they only have 3 ground spots.

If I wanted to get into say, Force Reconnaissance, would Infantry be the best route?

This is THE BEST decision ive ever made. Yesterday, when I went down there to start my packet and sign a bunch of stuff was THE BEST day of my life! I just cant describe how motivated/excited I am. I watched this movie they had in the office, after it was over, I said i was ready to start my packet to send in. He told me to come back after thinking about it for a week. I said no, I'm ready to do it now. This is the best thing ive ever done for myself, and i couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:14:08 PM EDT
Ok, I have a question for those that have been through OCS; What are the odds of me getting Infantry if i wanted it? Considering were fighting a War now, i would think it would be in my favor, any real world experience from those that have been in? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:25:09 PM EDT
FLY SOMETHING!!!!

Preferably with fixed wings....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 11:57:36 PM EDT by SSeric02]
I am a former 0203, and served in 2nd Marine Division for about 5 years.. A lot depends on timing and personalities.

The timing aspect affects where you will be initially assigned when you get to the Division: you may go straight to an infantry battalion, or you may go to an Arty, AAV, LAR, or Recon Battalion, or Regimental or Division staff. The timing is directly related to how many Scout Sniper Platoon Commander billets are open and how many 0203s are assigned across the Division at any given time. Generally, the Division G-2 assigns the 0203s in the Division, and will try to make sure that everyone gets platoon time, but the order may vary. You may start out as a platoon commander and then move to a staff billet, or you may start out in a staff billet and then move to a platoon commander billet later in your tour.

If you are at an infantry battalion, chances are you you will be a platoon commander of some sort. If you are at an Arty or independent battalion (AAV, LAR, Recon) you will most likely be the Battalion Intel Officer (S-2). Except for Recon Battalion, where the platoon commander billets are 0302 or 0203. But, you must have already taken the Recon Indoc to be assigned there for a platoon commander billet after you attend ARS.

If you are at Regimental or Division staff, you are either an Assistant S-2 or one of numerous junior officers floating around in various positions. Not a lot of fun.

The personality aspect affects what you will get to do in your assignments. Some battalion commanders will make you a rifle platoon commander first so you can learn the ropes, other won't. Some battalion commanders want a Scout Sniper Platoon Commander who is down in the dirt with his Marines, running a forward SARC or SCC. Some want an Assistant S-2. Sometimes it is a mix of both depending on the situation and what the mission is, and sometimes you can drive this. Sometimes, you can't.

I got out after my last platoon commander billet becasue I knew that as an intel officer, I would be doing staff work from there on out. I liked leading Marines. If I had it to do all over again, I would have put in for an air contract to be a pilot. Or if a ground contract, gone 0302 because the that's where the rubber really meets the road.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:11:40 AM EDT

Ok, I have a question for those that have been through OCS; What are the odds of me getting Infantry if i wanted it? Considering were fighting a War now, i would think it would be in my favor, any real world experience from those that have been in? Thanks guys.

In my above post I mentioned the thirds rule. We had 33 infantry billets. That's 11 per third. We had eight artillery spots per third. 4 amtrack spots, 1 tank spot, etc etc... We had around 60 to 65 Lt's per third. You had a one in six chance of getting infantry and an even better chance of getting into a ground combat officer billet. You want to be in a combat unit. Even if you don't get infantry. There are plenty of other jobs that let you kill bad guys. That is what counts in the War on Terror.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:19:54 AM EDT
The Marine Corps is an 03 world, if I had to do it again instead of 0802 being my first choice it would have been 0302. I have allot of fun as an 08, but 03 is what the Corps is about, we all exist to support the 03's.

There is a reason the 02 OCC field is always a short MOS for officers, most join thinking they will be doing 007 stuff, they end up as watch officers or doing the W.E.T. in the OpOrds, with a lucky few being getting a SS platoon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:49:40 AM EDT
Go Law.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:58:05 AM EDT
While your in Quantico don't forget to wave to us as we go by on the trains
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:03:31 AM EDT
^ What?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:06:18 AM EDT
Trust me, you will learn to hate the train tracks and that damn bridge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:07:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Reaganera0351:

What the hell?

Pure propaganda my man.

+1

Some are Assaultmen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:17:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Reaganera0351:

What the hell?

Pure propaganda my man.

Very true
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:18:21 AM EDT
I was under the impression they were hurting for Air contracts and wanted around 75% air canidates for the next class.

Please go for air and leave spots open for ground wannbes like me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:39:19 AM EDT

^ What?

Train tracks pass by Brown Field. There's a footbridge you have to pass over to go to and fro the chow hall. You'll hate it.

A candidate this summer tried to escape by hopping on the train (they pass slowly at night). Got picked up by train police at Alexandria and sent back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:29:59 AM EDT
I spent 22 years in the USMC. Ten years as a 0300 grunt, twelve years as as 2100 armorer when knees, back and VietNam injuries slowed me down. Go grunts you will NEVER forget or will you ever regret it. Charles CWO-3 USMC (ret).
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:24:50 AM EDT
Im thinking about OCS/PLC and dont know a whole lot about it. can someone who has btdt inform me a bit? Im in my first semester at college. If I decided to go for it I would probably want something on the ground, like infantry or recon. Aviation sounds cool but the length of commitment seems a bit longer than I would want for me or my future family.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:49:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mmx1:

^ What?

Train tracks pass by Brown Field. There's a footbridge you have to pass over to go to and fro the chow hall. You'll hate it.

A candidate this summer tried to escape by hopping on the train (they pass slowly at night). Got picked up by train police at Alexandria and sent back.

Not quite as bad as the kid that tried swiming across the Patomic a few classes ago. If my memory serves me right the coast guard had to save his ass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:53:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Im thinking about OCS/PLC and dont know a whole lot about it. can someone who has btdt inform me a bit? Im in my first semester at college. If I decided to go for it I would probably want something on the ground, like infantry or recon. Aviation sounds cool but the length of commitment seems a bit longer than I would want for me or my future family.

A ground contract is a 3.5 year commitment from the day you get your commision. Contact your OSO soon, PLC (still in college) is a lot easier to get into than OCC (college grad). There is no MOS guarantee for ground contracts. You get your MOS bases on your performance at TBS.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:53:47 AM EDT

Grunts are the greatest dudes on the planet.

Band of Brothers...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:58:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 11:59:41 AM EDT by mmx1]

PLC is the Marine Corps' primary officer commissioning source (42% of Marine officers come through PLC). You do a summer training and evaluation component during your summers, and on graduation from that, you've earned a commission in the USMC. Since the summer training is really more evaluation (it's been described as a 10-week job interview) than training, the Marine Corps hasn't invested much in you and you have the option of declining your commission all the way up to your senior year in college. It's very flexible. On the other hand, the tuition benefit and stipend that comes along with it is much less than what (N)ROTC offers.

As a freshman or sophomore, you'll go to two six-week sessions over two summers, the first being indoctrination in the Marine Corps, the second session comprising leadership evaluation. As a junior, senior, or college graduate, you'll attend a 10-week camp that combines all elements of the two 6-week sessions.

Grades, letters of recommendation matter a bit, but the biggest factor in selection is physical fitness. If your PFT is over 250 you'll be in fine shape. Google "Marine Corps PFT" to see a scoring table, but for reference, 15pullups/75crunches in 2 min/22:10 3mi-run time is about 225 (minimum to be selected for PLC), and 20pullups/100crunches/18:00 run time is a 300, the max score.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:20:11 PM EDT

PLC is the Marine Corps' primary officer commissioning source (42% of Marine officers come through PLC). You do a summer training and evaluation component during your summers, and on graduation from that, you've earned a commission in the USMC. Since the summer training is really more evaluation (it's been described as a 10-week job interview) than training, the Marine Corps hasn't invested much in you and you have the option of declining your commission all the way up to your senior year in college. It's very flexible. On the other hand, the tuition benefit and stipend that comes along with it is much less than what (N)ROTC offers.

As a freshman or sophomore, you'll go to two six-week sessions over two summers, the first being indoctrination in the Marine Corps, the second session comprising leadership evaluation. As a junior, senior, or college graduate, you'll attend a 10-week camp that combines all elements of the two 6-week sessions.

Grades, letters of recommendation matter a bit, but the biggest factor in selection is physical fitness. If your PFT is over 250 you'll be in fine shape. Google "Marine Corps PFT" to see a scoring table, but for reference, 15pullups/75crunches in 2 min/22:10 3mi-run time is about 225 (minimum to be selected for PLC), and 20pullups/100crunches/18:00 run time is a 300, the max score.

Grades and SAT matter more than you would think. But PFT scores matter more. OCS is just a test after all. Pass or fail.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:32:44 PM EDT

^ What?

Unless we are running on less than a clear signal or have a slow order for some track conditions I pass by there 45-50 mph almost every night..depending on direction and which track I'm on
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:29:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:
Grades and SAT matter more than you would think. But PFT scores matter more. OCS is just a test after all. Pass or fail.

They only matter if you are on the borderline of academically qualified, if you have a degree it doesn't matter if you have a 2.0 or 4.0.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:32:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By STLRN:
Trust me, you will learn to hate the train tracks and that damn bridge.

Nahhh, you get used to the trains every freakin night just as you are falling asleep!

And by the end, the bridge is a source of amusement. We started whistling the little tune from "The Bridge on the River Kwai" the last day or two just to piss of the Platoon Sgt and Sgt Instructors. They were not amused...just as we hoped.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:54:32 PM EDT
...lol....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:24:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SSeric02:
And by the end, the bridge is a source of amusement. We started whistling the little tune from "The Bridge on the River Kwai" the last day or two just to piss of the Platoon Sgt and Sgt Instructors. They were not amused...just as we hoped.

That is kind of funny because we did that back in 92 when I went through OCS, the more things change the more the stay the same.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:50:49 AM EDT

Firedog, I'm not too sure what area is denoted Camp Upshur; I think that's where TBS is located. The OCS site says TBS moved from Brown Field to Camp Upshur in 1955, and OCS took over Brown Field, where it remains.

Oh, btw, Marine Times is doing an online feature on OCS/TBS: www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/

I went PLC, our junior year was at Upsur which was out in the boonies, not much besides quonset huts,the parade deck and O course. Senior year was at mainside. IIRC,and it's been better than 20 yrs and the memory is a little...off, Upsur was only used for the 2 summer PLC trainings.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:29:15 AM EDT
Man you 0302's got soft. A comment like the one I made was fighting words in my day....

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:30:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By firedog51d:

I went PLC, our junior year was at Upsur which was out in the boonies, not much besides quonset huts,the parade deck and O course. Senior year was at mainside. IIRC,and it's been better than 20 yrs and the memory is a little...off, Upsur was only used for the 2 summer PLC trainings.

Upshur is way up at the Northern tip of the base, West of I-95. As I remember from about 6 years ago, there is an detachment from 4th LAR there and some DEA assets.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:33:40 AM EDT

That is kind of funny because we did that back in 92 when I went through OCS, the more things change the more the stay the same.

Yep! We even got in step as we did did it. Which, is a big No-No because the harmonics will supposedly collapse the bridge. It didn't collapse, but it sure started swaying!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 12:16:55 PM EDT by Clark_Bar]

The Marine Corps is an 03 world, if I had to do it again instead of 0802 being my first choice it would have been 0302. I have allot of fun as an 08, but 03 is what the Corps is about, we all exist to support the 03's.

There is a reason the 02 OCC field is always a short MOS for officers, most join thinking they will be doing 007 stuff, they end up as watch officers or doing the W.E.T. in the OpOrds, with a lucky few being getting a SS platoon.

This guy is giving the real skinny on what goes on in the Marine Corps.
I worked with a lot of Marines over the last couple of years and the infantry is king in the Corps.
Just look at all the Commandants past and present. All Infantry, nothing else!
Listen to him.

Good Luck.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:15:08 PM EDT
Cool, thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:24:35 PM EDT
I spent a year with an infantry regiment, then went to flight school and flew F-4's. Did another stint with the infantry as a Forward Air Controller, and spent my last couple years flying A-4's as an adversary.

Flying fighters was better than "hiking and camping".
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:51:26 PM EDT

Yep! We even got in step as we did did it. Which, is a big No-No because the harmonics will supposedly collapse the bridge. It didn't collapse, but it sure started swaying!

HA! So that's why the sign says "Troops will Route Step on Bridge " or something to that effect.

Rodent, how'd you enjoy being a FAC?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top