Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2006 6:43:02 PM EDT
I'm feeling pretty good tonight So I think Ill open the request lines for a few and take your calls again.. If I missed your question last time please post it again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
How do I get my VCR to stop flashing "12:00"?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

.45ACP
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Un plug it... next..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you know about the structural integrity of a Taurus pt-140?

I've heard they break pins.

Reason I ask is I can buy a nib one for $165.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
My AK likes to sneak out of the safe at night and kills bus loads of babies, is there any way I can euthanize it?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
My DPMS AR15 requires me to addjust the windage all the way left to zero.  DPMS says the barrel is not centered correctly and I can "tap" the front site to bring it into alaignment.  Does this sound right?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it legal to put a stock on a pistol?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
How do you adjust headspace in a Garand? How difficult for an amature to change out a barrel?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My AK likes to sneak out of the safe at night and kills bus loads of babies, is there any way I can euthanize it?

not funny
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Mid sixties S&W Chiefs 38 Special.  Keyholes at 20'.  Cannot see any dings on crown and have tried different ammo. Ideas?  Send it to S&W for a lube/oil/checkout?
Thanks

ETA:

Send it in and get the timing checked. You getting a lot of leading too(spitting)?

Didn't notice spitting...I'll check it again, then give S&W a call.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Scoop it up.. I have heard that they are dandy little guns. Worse case if it dose break a pin you can always get a replacement..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
what size is best when "home" drilling and taping for scope mounts???? drill bit and tap.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
why do people insist on putting AR15 stocks on perfectly good AKs?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Because the AR stocks are better stocks, and AK rifles are better rifles.

AR stock on AK rifle = Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My DPMS AR15 requires me to addjust the windage all the way left to zero.  DPMS says the barrel is not centered correctly and I can "tap" the front site to bring it into alaignment.  Does this sound right?

WOW.. uh it sounds like the barrel was over tightened.. I would get it checked before I start bending the front sight..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Your silly
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is it legal to put a stock on a pistol?

Yup if you reg it as a SBR.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because the AR stocks are better stocks, and AK rifles are better rifles.

AR stock on AK rifle = Best of both worlds.

I'm asking the gunsmith not asking the whackjob
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How do you adjust headspace in a Garand? How difficult for an amature to change out a barrel?

Is it too tight or too loose?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mid sixties S&W Chiefs 38 Special.  Keyholes at 20'.  Cannot see any dings on crown and have tried different ammo. Ideas?  Send it to S&W for a lube/oil/checkout?
Thanks

Send it in and get the timing checked. You getting a lot of leading too(spitting)?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
what size is best when "home" drilling and taping for scope mounts???? drill bit and tap.

6-40 is the most common and it a #33 bit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not funny

+1

Why the hell would you want to  euthanize that poor AK?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Fat -- I mean Mr. Nasty -- My Dad always taught me "Aim small, miss small",  but when I 'aim small',  I  always end up 'killing small'.  All my hunting buddies are laughing at me behind my back.

Do I just need a bigger gun?  Thanks in advance.  Crowcreek
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Dope lots of dope... and rails.. WTF!?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6-40 is the most common and it a #33 bit.

Thank You very much
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Fat -- I mean Mr. Nasty -- My Dad always taught me "Aim small, miss small",  but when I 'aim small',  I  always end up 'killing small'.  All my hunting buddies are laughing at me behind my back.

Do I just need a bigger gun?  Thanks in advance.  Crowcreek

Yup a 10mm or a .460 Wby Mag is in your future!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Mr. Nasty -

I have a Colt Government .380 that works sporadically.  Most often it will fire perfectly except that I have to recock the hammer after each shot because it somehow does not stay cocked even though the slide cycles.  Also it occasionally will recock the hammer but trigger doesn't reset or gets locked up in a really funky way.  

This was my first gun so I want to get it running.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I've actually seen a high rate of failure in several of these guns lately.  The fireing pin retainer brakes sending the spring shooting out while leaving the firing pin intact.  This has happened on a couple guns.

Also, the last one had the trigger break around the pin area.  It actually broke in half.  

We've sold a lot of these pistols but lately have had several instances of problems.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Mr. Nasty -

I have a Colt Government .380 that works sporadically.  Most often it will fire perfectly except that I have to recock the hammer after each shot because it somehow does not stay cocked even though the slide cycles.  Also it occasionally will recock the hammer but trigger doesn't reset or gets locked up in a really funky way.  

This was my first gun so I want to get it running.

Sounds like it following, possibly its a botched trigger job or worn out hammer sear.. Numrich or brownells is where you will want to look for parts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've actually seen a high rate of failure in several of these guns lately.  The fireing pin retainer brakes sending the spring shooting out while leaving the firing pin intact.  This has happened on a couple guns.

Also, the last one had the trigger break around the pin area.  It actually broke in half.  

We've sold a lot of these pistols but lately have had several instances of problems.

Bill3508

Thanks for sharing.. Noted in my book!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I have built three Ar 15s, 1) a rifle 16", 2) A pistol, 3) an CAR.
I have a hammer on the first rifle that has a rounded edge on the top of it where the bolt rides. It is a factory job, but it is significantly lower profile and easier to charge the weapon. Ie Less resistance to lay the hammer down and pull over it. My pistol was a DPMS lower parts kit , and had a Mill issue Hammer shape. It would short stroke about every ten rounds, I took it down and rounded the hammer to the same dimensions as my first rifle, and it stopped the Wolf short stroke, and took on the similar charicteristics of my first builds charge pull.  I continue to do this to these non rounded hammers. I see no real problem, but had someone question wether I was really affecting the reciol impulse needed . All my builds work great, and I just wanted to know if I am setting myself up for some sort of failure.

Well good. My instincts were right. Nay sayers are such wankers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Does Springfield Armory loctite, weld, solder or otherwise attach the %^(*&%&%castle nut on an M1A?

Mine WILL not budge.

Any suggestions?

SG
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#33]
FM, when threadiing a AR barrel, does the barrel need to be removed from the upper for this operation? And. what is the square root of 256?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have built three Ar 15s, 1) a rifle 16", 2) A pistol, 3) an CAR.
I have a hammer on the first rifle that has a rounded edge on the top of it where the bolt rides. It is a factory job, but it is significantly lower profile and easier to chharge the weapon. Ie Less resistance to lay the hammer down and pull over it. My pistol was a DPMS lower parts kit , and had a Mill issue Hammer shape. It would short stroke about every ten rounds, I took it down and rounded the hammer to the same dimensions as my first rifle, and it stopped the Wolf short stroke, and took on the similar charicteristics of my first builds charge pull.  I continue to do this to these non rounded hammers. I see no real problem, but had someone question wether I was really affecting the reciol impulse needed . All my builds work great, and I just wanted to know if I am setting myself up for some sort of failure.

Nope your just reducing the mass of the hammer and smoothing where it touches the bolt.. I do something very similar to it on the 10/22
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Are the McFarland Gas Rings any good for my AR-15?  I am attempting to start a parts stash of sorts and I want to make sure that I am buying good stuff.

McFarland Gas Rings

Thanks,

Brian
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Does Springfield Armory loctite, weld, solder or otherwise attach the %^(*&%&%castle nut on an M1A?

Mine WILL not budge.

Any suggestions?

SG

no idea. Id grind it off and replace.. But thats just me..

ETA: Call them and ask..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
FM, when threadiing a AR barrel, does the barrel need to be removed from the upper for this operation? And. what is the square root of 256?

No if you have an insert that fits in the action that allows you to chuck it up in the lathe. Or you can go with a brass spud that guides the die. Either or.. I prefer to single point the threads rather than die them.

Damn it OrARGB I'm a gunsmith not a mathematician...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Are the McFarland Gas Rings any good for my AR-15?  I am attempting to start a parts stash of sorts and I want to make sure that I am buying good stuff.

McFarland Gas Rings

Thanks,

Brian

I have heard good things about them. And one day when I make the big bucks Ill be getting me one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I was told by an ex Navy Seal at a gun show that you could suppress a shotgun with a plug of dirt in the barrel.

He said they used to just push the barrel into the ground for about a 1" plug and the next round would  be mostly silent as the propellents would be contained by the dirt plug.

Is that legal to do?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Do all manufactures headspace AR's to exactly the same specs. Could this be a problem with some guns liking Wolf ammo and others not??
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I was told by an ex Navy Seal at a gun show that you could suppress a shotgun with a plug of dirt in the barrel.

He said they used to just push the barrel into the ground for about a 1" plug and the next round would  be mostly silent as the propellents would be contained by the dirt plug.

Is that legal to do?

Yup but I hear that snow works a hell of a lot better!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Do all manufactures headspace AR's to exactly the same specs. Could this be a problem with some guns liking Wolf ammo and others not??

LOL I had a large post all typed out explaining head spacing. then I saw I could answer it with a simple yes... Yes that all use a tolerance of like -0 +.004 So yes a tight chamber will not like a sloppy ammo where a sloppy chamber will like a sloppy ammo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL I had a large post all typed out explaining head spacing. then I saw I could answer it with a simple yes... Yes that all use a tolerance of like -0 +.004 So yes a tight chamber will not like a sloppy ammo where a sloppy chamber will like a sloppy ammo.

ROFL thinking of what you were typing

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Can I use .40 S&W in my Uberti 44-40 revolver?  Or do I have to go all the way to .44 magnum?  Would .41 magnum be a comfortable "middle cartridge?"
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

McFarland Gas Rings

Thanks,

Brian

I have heard good things about them. And one day when I make the big bucks Ill be getting me one.

Thanks!  I guess when I place my parts order with Brownell's I might as well order an extra for you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Can I use .40 S&W in my Uberti 44-40 revolver?  Or do I have to go all the way to .44 magnum?  Would .41 magnum be a comfortable "middle cartridge?"

WTF?!? are you joking..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Smith and Wesson 1000 won't eject..... opened it up and it looks like I am missing some washers in the lower tube.  any suggestion? parts on these thing are rare.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#48]
can you shorten the trigger pull on a pt 111 millenium pro?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Smith and Wesson 1000 won't eject..... opened it up and it looks like I am missing some washers in the lower tube.  any suggestion? parts on these thing are rare.

Ya no shit.. ok IIRC it should be 2 beveled washers and one o ring.. The missing o ring is the most common.

Compare it to this one..www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1980z1000
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
can you shorten the trigger pull on a pt 111 millenium pro?

Nope but you can tweak the pull weight a bit.. By trimming springs and polishing parts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top