Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 3:04:55 AM EDT
My driving record cant stand any more points (point system wisconsin) I have never been caught speeding where i was intentionally trying to speed. Im thinking of getting a laser scrambler. Not to evade the law, or speed. Just to cut down my chances of speeding tickets.
What happens when you guys see a car you cant get a reading on? Do you just let it go? Or will i get hassled. I seriously need cruise control on my car.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My driving record cant stand any more points (point system wisconsin) I have never been caught speeding where i was intentionally trying to speed. Im thinking of getting a laser scrambler. Not to evade the law, or speed. Just to cut down my chances of speeding tickets.
What happens when you guys see a car you cant get a reading on? Do you just let it go? Or will i get hassled. I seriously need cruise control on my car.

You might do better with a governor since you don't INTEND to speed but it accidently happens.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope that wasnt a sarcastic remark. In actuality i was thinking of that too. I got 1 speeding ticket this year and 2 more in the last 4 my insurance is killing me for it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen a laser scrambler that works.  Why not buy and install that cruise control system you say you need?  Probably cheaper than the "scrambler", and the cruise control works with radar too.  

Off to check if these "scramblers" are even legal in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
How old are you?  
DUI's?
Accidents?

Plan ahead so you don't have to be in such a hurry.  Slow down and enjoy the drive.
But to answer your questions.  If you have a radar detector and or other evasion devices, and get caught speeding you will become the topic of many jokes around the squad room.   That's not meant to be rude.  It's just more of a wow this dude spent all this money and he still got caught what a waste of cash.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Laser scamblers are at the very least, ineffective.  At their worst, a blatant rip-off.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about where you are from but here in Ohio they are illigal.  If you do plan to get one I would check your laws becaue if you get pulled over and have one you could be in a lot more trouble then just a ticket.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Defeating both laser and radar is easy.

You have to paint your vehicle with the anti-rad paint used on the F-117. ($1,000/gal.)

Put traps on all reflective surfaces, including the grille and radiator.

Add anti-reflective coating to all glass.

Remove all external antennae.

You will become invisable!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
"Gee officer, I really want to follow the speed limit when you are around."

Your opening statement tells me two things.  1) You speed and haven't been caught when you knew you were speeding 2) you even speed when you don't realize it.  Or in other words, you don't pay attention to your speedometer and/or street signs.

If I stop a vehicle for a moving violation, including speeding, the driver may or may not get a ticket.  It depends on the violation, weather conditions, driving history and attitude of the driver.  Only about 20% of the people I stop get tickets based on this.  If I stop a vehicle and there is a radar detector (or in your case a laser scrambler) on the dash, the decision is real easy.  I WRITE THE TICKET, no matter what the violation.  By having that in your vehicle, you are advertising to me that you do not follow the rules of the road.  

Electronic devices that are designed to help a driver from getting a ticket can't overcome the first thing that tells me you are speeding, my eyes.  I monitor traffic all day long.  I can tell if someone is speeding before I point my Speed Measuring Device at the vehicle.  If you look like you are doing the speed limit, or at least following with the flow of traffic, I leave you alone.  If you look like you are speeding I verify it with my SMD.  I don't drive around all day with it on.  Then the radar detectors know I am out there.  When I activate my SMD it is too late for a radar detector to help you.  You cannot slow down 15mph in less than a second.

You may get past me on the speed with the scrambler but I would be willing to bet you don't STOP for the STOP signs if you are in such a rush.  Most people yield, not stop, at 4 way intersections.  Great place to get DUI's.

The only way to insure you don't get a ticket is to follow the rules of the road.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have any type of detector and I stop you, guess what, you get a ticket.  If you get stopped and dont have one there is still a chance of a warning.  If you are only going 9 or less over I wont even stop you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you have any type of detector and I stop you, guess what, you get a ticket.  If you get stopped and dont have one there is still a chance of a warning.  If you are only going 9 or less over I wont even stop you.

A true story.  I have posted this before when people have asked the same question as you, if you have a radar/laser detector and I stop you it's a ticket.  There is only one reason for you to have that equipment on your vehicle and that is to violate the law.  Not only have you decided to violate the law but you have purchased equipment to aide you in your goal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Your opening statement tells me two things.  1) You speed and haven't been caught when you knew you were speeding 2) you even speed when you don't realize it.  Or in other words, you don't pay attention to your speedometer and/or street signs.

If I stop a vehicle for a moving violation, including speeding, the driver may or may not get a ticket.  It depends on the violation, weather conditions, driving history and attitude of the driver.  Only about 20% of the people I stop get tickets based on this.  If I stop a vehicle and there is a radar detector (or in your case a laser scrambler) on the dash, the decision is real easy.  I WRITE THE TICKET, no matter what the violation.  By having that in your vehicle, you are advertising to me that you do not follow the rules of the road.  

Electronic devices that are designed to help a driver from getting a ticket can't overcome the first thing that tells me you are speeding, my eyes.  I monitor traffic all day long.  I can tell if someone is speeding before I point my Speed Measuring Device at the vehicle.  If you look like you are doing the speed limit, or at least following with the flow of traffic, I leave you alone.  If you look like you are speeding I verify it with my SMD.  I don't drive around all day with it on.  Then the radar detectors know I am out there.  When I activate my SMD it is too late for a radar detector to help you.  You cannot slow down 15mph in less than a second.

You may get past me on the speed with the scrambler but I would be willing to bet you don't STOP for the STOP signs if you are in such a rush.  Most people yield, not stop, at 4 way intersections.  Great place to get DUI's.

The only way to insure you don't get a ticket is to follow the rules of the road.

Ok Ill just reply to the above post, all others in a similar vein same answer
Its m,ore innatentive driving
for example. I buy a new car Speedometer is not in front its in the middle. Couple that with my old car anything over 45 and you know your doing it. I have a 2006 scion it moves and it gets up to speed smoothly and quetly. OOps im speeding and didnt even know it. since there were no other cars around to gauge against and i do try to keep my eyes on the road.

Ticket before last. 2 years ago. New used car. Im playing with the tilt steering wheel. coutry road. Oops im speeding. nother ticket
Ticket 3 years ago im arguing with the wife. Oops speeding ticket.

So i would say it is more Number 2. Speeding oh yeah i did it when i was like 20 with my road runner. Of course then it was intentional and it wasnt 10-20 over the limit. More like a 100.
Im not in a hurry to get anyplace. Im just trying to keep my insurance low.

The radar detector isnt to break the Law its to remind me to look at the speedometer. My car doesnt have cruise control not even as a factory option

Below is not my car but can you see how the speedo takes getting used too?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/Psyco565/PICT0247.jpg
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
In Florida we see a vehicle that is exceeding the speed limit.  We estimate the vehicle's speed.  When I went through radar class, you had to estimate the vehicle's speed within 3 mph.  Now the radar class is required to estimate within 5 mph.  

After estimating the speed, you activate the radar/laser unit and get the electronic readout of the vehicle’s actual speed.  

In court you testify to visually seeing the vehicle speeding.  Then you testify to the estimated speed of the vehicle.  Only after that, you bring in the radar/laser readout.  

If you don't have a radar/laser unit, our estimate of the vehicle's speed is admissible in court.  

After 24 years of traffic enforcement, I'm able to estimate vehicle’s speed within 3 mph.  People have challenged my estimation many times and I have proved them wrong, every time.  

I don't know about Wisconsin but it  may be the same.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Um, I hope that isn't your car.  It isn't helping your cause.  The sunglasses in front of the speedometer are perfect in showing "whoevers car it is" doesn't care about how fast they are going.  Yes the speedo is not it the usual spot, but if you bought the car you should be able to use the gauges.  That excuse, like most I hear, doesn't fly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for example. I buy a new car Speedometer is not in front its in the middle. Couple that with my old car anything over 45 and you know your doing it. I have a 2006 scion it moves and it gets up to speed smoothly and quetly. OOps im speeding and didnt even know it. since there were no other cars around to gauge against and i do try to keep my eyes on the road.

Ticket before last. 2 years ago. New used car. Im playing with the tilt steering wheel. coutry road. Oops im speeding. nother ticket

So i would say it is more Number 2. Speeding oh yeah i did it when i was like 20 with my road runner. Of course then it was intentional and it wasnt 10-20 over the limit. More like a 100.

The radar detector isnt to break the Law its to remind me to look at the speedometer. My car doesnt have cruise control not even as a factory option

i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/Psyco565/PICT0247.jpg

I'm not LEO but I can see your problem. It's your car. You need a Buick or Oldsmobile.
When I started driving in the late seventies early eighties I had a 70 chevelle and a 71 camaro. I was walking to school in no time.
My dad said to buy a less flashy transportation and you won't be picked out in the pack. I bought a truck with single pipe and hub caps no problem.
Going six months with out a licence probably help slow me down also.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not trying to drill you on this but the highlights in red are your inattention to what should be your PRIMARY function when operating a vehicle which is to drive.  Everything else is secondary.  Driver inattention isn't an excuse for anything that happens.  Taking it to an extreme, if you hit and kill a pedestrian you are screwed using that same excuse.  The comment highlighted in blue is just BS and we both know it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Sir, as you can see all the replies are telling you not to waste your money.  Your statement of making sure your doing the speed limit by using this electronic device is poor.  I suggest taking extra time while travelling and do the speed limit.  No place or thing is that important to get there as fast as you can.   Speed KILLS and you don't want to be part of the yearly statistics of highway accidents/collisons.  Yeah your insurance is high but that's because you have made mistakes or chose to speed in the past.  To many mistakes or wrong choices can only hurt you!

Drive safely and thank you for your cooperation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Like Colt_SBR said, I'd still bang you on the visual estimation and when your lawyer pulls my training record and sees it your finished.  And yes I have tried to get LIDAR readings on cars and the unit would not give me a number, was it a scrambler, I don't know but they still got one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm not trying to drill you on this but the highlights in red are your inattention to what should be your PRIMARY function when operating a vehicle which is to drive. Everything else is secondary. Driver inattention isn't an excuse for anything that happens. Taking it to an extreme, if you hit and kill a pedestrian you are screwed using that same excuse. The comment highlighted in blue is just BS and we both know it.

half right
the highlights in red is why i get speeding tickets
The highlights in blue are my reasons for getting it
Your extreme telepathic powers should be telling you right now i think your a ass for calling me a liar.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm not trying to drill you on this but the highlights in red are your inattention to what should be your PRIMARY function when operating a vehicle which is to drive. Everything else is secondary. Driver inattention isn't an excuse for anything that happens. Taking it to an extreme, if you hit and kill a pedestrian you are screwed using that same excuse. The comment highlighted in blue is just BS and we both know it.

half right
Your extreme telepathic powers should be telling you right now i think your a ass for calling me a liar.

You came, you asked, you got your answer.  Now , if you don't LIKE the answer that's not our problem.   Don't go all  pissy on us.

I'll tell you what.  go ahead and buy this doohickey.  Think of it as a voluntary "stupid tax" in addition to your tickets.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

half right

Okayyyyyy.  If you aren't attentive or smart enough to read a speedometer then perhaps an additional piece of equipment mounted in a different location is a waste of money but hey good luck with all of that.

Since you aren't satisfied with the responses so far, here is what you want.  By all means buy a laser detector and drive with complete immunity on the roads without having to pay attention to shit.  Feel free to use your cell phone at the same time for added protection.  There does that make you feel better?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd like to thank all the LEO/revenue agents for their fine efforts to make our world safer by writing people citations for going 65 in a 55.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'd like to thank all the LEO/revenue agents for their fine efforts to make our world safer by writing people citations for going 65 in a 55.

You're very welcome but the easiest way to keep us from being revenue agents is to go the speed limit.  It never ceases to amaze me that someone violates a law and then blames the LEO for their punishment.  If you burn your hand on a hot stove I suppose that it is the stove's fault for the injury??  Two words........personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're very welcome but the easiest way to keep us from being revenue agents is to go the speed limit.  It never ceases to amaze me that someone violates a law and then blames the LEO for their punishment.  If you burn your hand on a hot stove I suppose that it is the stove's fault for the injury??  Two words........personal responsibility.

I'm pretty sure someone somewhere sued for that....and won.

Now, we have sticker on new stoves saying "Do not place hand on burners while in operation!"
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I would like to thank you guys for the good answers. Thank you for your job. It is true i do talk on the cell phone when i drive. I have a Bluetooth headset. I also have called in a couple of drunks and one guy who obviously was going way way way too fast.
Take it easy and stay safe.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#26]
make a concious effort to slow down, and to look at your speedometer
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't let the threat of a ticket shy you away from the purchase of a revenue generation protection device (radar detector, jammer, scramblers, etc.).

I figure for every one ticket I get, it saved me from getting pulled over ten times- my radar detector payed for itself in no time. Just make sure you do your research, and buy quality.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Buying a cruise control unit for my car. 104.00 at checker. Best Option.
btw
Laser scramblers like the blinder m-20 work 100%. Maybe one day when i buy a vette and intend to drive fast ill buy it. For right now the cruise is the Very best option.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I give 14 mph over the limit.  When you reach 15+ over, I make the town some money.  If you have to do 15 mph over the limit,,you shoulda left a little earlier.  

In my 24 years, I've been running radar for 21 years.  I have never had the radar unit mess up because of any device.  

I would say, save your money and slow down a little.  Just some friendly advise.  

It didn't cost you a penny.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I give 14 mph over the limit.  When you reach 15+ over, I make the town some money.  If you have to do 15 mph over the limit,,you shoulda left a little earlier.  

a
In my 24 years, I've been running radar for 21 years.  I have never had the radar unit mess up because of any device.  

I would say, save your money and slow down a little.  Just some friendly dvise.  

Don't tell them that.  Encourage them to spend their money on the newest gadget that will help them 'beat the man/revenue agents'.  Until someone figures out a way to defeat instant on radar they are blissfully throwing their money away.....because slowing down is too easy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a

Don't tell them that.  Encourage them to spend their money on the newest gadget that will help them 'beat the man/revenue agents'.  Until someone figures out a way to defeat instant on radar they are blissfully throwing their money away.....because slowing down is too easy.

FYI, defeating instant on while running a radar detector is fairly easy- I just make sure there's another vehicle 1/2 mile to a mile in front of me.

As for money thrown away, my detector was actually a gift, but if I were to compare the cost of an average ticket multiplied by the number of times the detector gave me sufficient early warning against the cost of the detector, there has been a return on the investment of about 3000%. Try getting that out of your 401(k)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a

FYI, defeating instant on while running a radar detector is fairly easy- I just make sure there's another vehicle 1/2 mile to a mile in front of me.

As for money thrown away, my detector was actually a gift, but if I were to compare the cost of an average ticket multiplied by the number of times the detector gave me sufficient early warning against the cost of the detector, there has been a return on the investment of about 3000%. Try getting that out of your 401(k)

Remember the magic phrase:  You have to get lucky everytime you drive, I only have to get lucky once.  That's in addition to the time, money and effort that you have expended while I have expended only the time to turn on the equipment.  All of this aside, try slowing down.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#33]
If you are speeding, your number one job should be paying attention to the things around you, and especially in front of you.  Your number 2 job should be watching for cops.

If you get tickets because you are distracted, you need to re-address your priorities while behind the wheel.  

I lived in Germany for 3 years, so I disagree with the post above that said speed kills.  Speeding, while not paying attention will kill not only you, but can also endanger someone else.

I used to buy radar detectors.  They led me to rely on them.  My eyes are MUCH better than they are.  Last speeding ticket I got, I took the detector back to the store to get my money back to pay for the ticket.

I've been stopped for speeding many times.  Got out of alot of them by showing respect to the cop and not bullshitting them.. Yes, I know exactly how fast I was going, every time.  

Got out of one from a small town sherrif on I-35 between Dallas and Austin because Ipulled so far over, (off the shoulder even) that the Sherrif wrote me a warning.  (Doing about 85 in a 70)  I asked him why the warning (and thanked him), he said it was because I obviously was looking out for him too by pulling so far over, and that he had to write some warning every now and then.

Got out of going to Jail (96 in a 70) in Tennessee because I was stopped and on the side of the road before the State Trooper could even turn around on the highway.  (I knew who he was after, no doubt)  I think he thought I was gonna run for it.  No need, I was flying, and he got me.  First thing he said was that the truckers were talking about me since Texarcana.  I was about 300 miles from there.  I absolutely believe me being stopped when he got to me saved me from jail.  Also, got stopped 3 times in Ky on that trip from Tx to Ohio. I think my CHL got me out of those.  Not the mention, the 3rd stop, on a sunday night at about 3 am, the Trooper told me to be careful, there were troopers out all night for speed enforcement.  (The reason I was flying was my mom was dying in the hospital)  The TN cop told me I should have bought a plane ticket.... He was right...

In  most instances, the speed limits on highways are way too low.  But, I know the rules.  So, when I play, if I get caught, I pay.

I have never had a cop who stopped me for speeding be anything less than professional either.  And really, it's happend more than a few times.

Question for the cops.  I drive a bmw 528i.  Does the kind of car you stop have anything to do with how it is handled, or is it more of a how does the suspect act?

TXL

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ooopS I did it again. (Britney Spears)

If you have to be reminded to look at the speedo you need some remedial driving lessons.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You are welcome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#36]
From 53 bortec.

You obviously are ignorant of how the technology works.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll let you in on a little secret.  I'll make this real simple to understand.  

Most modern radar/laser devices (at lease the last 20 years) have a standby mode.  The unit is still on and warmed up but it doesn't emit a signal.  

When we see an approaching vehicle that is visually exceeding the speed limit, the operator activates the radar/laser device.  Then and only then does the signal leave the unit. real, real fast.  A lot faster than anyone can get off the accelerator and on the brake.  

Laser unit has a scope on the top.  The laser operator aims the scope at the center of the speeder's vehicle and pulls the trigger.  The speed is locked on the unit's display.  It's too late to slow down.  Your speed is locked into the laser unit.  

The radar unit I'm currently using has a feature that registers the pack of vehicles in the main speed display window and the fastest vehicle in the pack with a separate window.  It can even lock onto a speeding motorcycle in a pack of slower, bigger vehicles.  The fastest of the slower vehicles is shown in the main window.  The excuse, you were going with the flow of traffic is blown right out of the water.  

I don't activate the radar unit until I see a vehicle that I estimate is exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph or more.  Working mids, I can go an hour or more before I see a speeding vehicle.  

You can see, unless your close enough to pick up the radar unit before your in sight, your  radar/laser detector  is useless.  

Quoted:
In  most instances, the speed limits on highways are way too low.  But, I know the rules.  So, when I play, if I get caught, I pay.

I have never had a cop who stopped me for speeding be anything less than professional either.  And really, it's happened more than a few times.

Question for the cops.  I drive a bmw 528i.  Does the kind of car you stop have anything to do with how it is handled, or is it more of a how does the suspect act?

TXL

Let me also thank you for pulling over off the road.  That would probably got you a warning from me too.  

I'm a traffic crash/homicide investigator.  The reason I give 14 mph over the speed limit is, I learned in one class, roads and highways are designed for speeds at least 15 mph over the speed limit.  Someone doing 15 mph or over is a strain on the safest speed the road was designed for.  

I don’t care what make, model or year vehicle someone is driving.  I don’t care what someone looks like.  I myself have had beaters and nice cars & motorcycle.  I’ve had hair past my shoulders and a ZZ Top size beard.  I wouldn’t want to be singled out because of my vehicle or my  looks.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Instant on, fastest speed vehicle, etc; speeding is not the answer.

I run a radar detector but rarely do I exceed 5 to 10 MPH over the speed limit.  Doing so is stupid.  I like my detector because on the highway I can pick up emissions from when someone does turn on their radar at a fairly decent distance and then react to it well in advance (of course this depends on terrain).  

For laser detection just know that when the detector picks it up you are already caught.

I drive a lot on the highway, mostly at night when there are less cars and trucks on the roads.  This makes me an easier target as there aren't as many vehicles around me to be picked off, however there never seems to be as many patrols or speed traps at 1 am on the highway (or maybe I am blind).  

Anyway, I found that speeding 20+ MPH over the limit really doesn't get you to your destination all that faster, scares the hell out of most of the other folks on the road, and makes you a giant target.

Oh yeah, scrambling police lasers and radar is typically illegal (can't remember where I read that at) as well as hard to do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

But, I know the rules.  So, when I play, if I get caught, I pay.

Smartest thing Ive read.
Thats exactly my attitude.  I speed, I usually dont get caught.  Today I did.  $205.50    91mph on a 70mph interstate,  Am I pissed because I got caught? yes  Am I pissed at the LEO/law. no  They are doing their job protecting the public.  I knew the risk when I took it.  I acted polite (not apologetic, polite) and the trooper was also very proffessional.  I drive a 2003 white chevy cavalier.  A very average car.  I do not use any type of detection/prevention device, because they dont work.  Trust me.  But shit its your money dude.  FYI The Valentine 1 (I have used in the past) is the best detector out there if you know how to use it.  But Ive found relying on my natural sences is better, so I got rid of it and got my $400+ back when I showed them the first ticket I got with it.  Any sort of "jammer" is a rip-off and likely illegal.  But again its your money.  Hell Ive got some magic anti-laser beans I can sell you cheap.

To the LEOs, thank you for doing your jobs. Ignore all the bashers, hopefully they will pass a new law where you get citations for being a dumbass.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
From 53 bortec.

You obviously are ignorant of how the technology works.

Oh? Please do enlighten me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If you are speeding, your number one job should be paying attention to the things around you, and especially in front of you.  Your number 2 job should be watching for cops.

If you get tickets because you are distracted, you need to re-address your priorities while behind the wheel.  

<snip>

TXL

That is one of the best statements in this thread. If you're speeding you need to have total situational awareness of the road. If you have total situational awareness on the road, your odds go down greatly of getting a ticket (seeing LEOs at distance has saved me many more tickets than my detector has).

If you can't maintain the kind of situational awareness on the road it takes to see a traffic cop, you don't have any business speeding.

I've recieved tickets when I wasn't paying attention- only part about it that bothered me was that I'd not been paying attention when I should have been. The two biggest things that irritate me in this game are cops that write bogus tickets (rare), and drivers who get pissed at the cops for writing them a legitimate ticket (all too common).
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#42]
It's simple.  OBEY THE LAW.  Don't like the law?  Call your elected representative and try to get the law changed.  

The roads are funded by taxpayer dollars.  The taxpayers' elected representatives have decided that in order to drive a vehicle on the public roads you must have a registered vehicle and obey the speed limits and other assorted laws.  So take it up with them.

You can drive as fast as you want on your own property and feel free to do so.

And you know what they say about excuses...they are just like ...holes and they stink.  The original poster is just making excuses for his behaviour.  I know a LOT of drivers who never get caught.  You know why?  They don't speed!!!  Imagine that!!

I think I'm going to go out and generate some more revenue!!  Maybe if I write lots of tickets I can get that raise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It's simple.  OBEY THE LAW.  Don't like the law?  Call your elected representative and try to get the law changed.  

The roads are funded by taxpayer dollars.  The taxpayers' elected representatives have decided that in order to drive a vehicle on the public roads you must have a registered vehicle and obey the speed limits and other assorted laws.  So take it up with them.

You can drive as fast as you want on your own property and feel free to do so.

And you know what they say about excuses...they are just like ...holes and they stink.  The original poster is just making excuses for his behaviour.  I know a LOT of drivers who never get caught.  You know why?  They don't speed!!!  Imagine that!!

I think I'm going to go out and generate some more revenue!!  Maybe if I write lots of tickets I can get that raise.

That's just no fun.  

TXL

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It's a simple process, see a speed sign, set your cruise control at or no more than 5 over that speed.

You are a menace to society, either you will learn to slow down your you will loose your license, then your job, then jail time.  Your going to be paying high insurance for another 10yrs because of your addiction to speed, which means you are a procrastinator and just won't get going to places on time. Stop sleeping in, leave earlier for where you have to be.

I've had a good number of speeding tickets - my insurance has never been affected, I'm gainfully employed, have never been in jail, and my license is still quite tight, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#46]
AH CRAP I deleted my whole entry...

Here is the short end.

Laser/ radar detectors are Retarded - I proved it to my Dad and sister, when I told my Sister to slow down 2 seconds before she got lit up, after I SAW the Cop with MY EYES, CUZ I was ATTENTIVE...early enough to slow down THEN hear then detector go off

15mph over the limit is stretching it for the marked road limits as tested my me , so is 40 over on a freeway...DONT ask(No, I didnt get a ticket)

I usually go 10 over cuz its pretty safe IF there arent other slower idiots out there who cut you off when you are TWO feet behind them in the next lane...It happened today...sad thing is I predicted it would happen based on behavior
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

That is one of the the most asinine thing I have read in awhile. Thanks for the chuckle. You know, millions of people are able to drive through my jurisdiction daily (& safely) without getting "harassed". The best thing for you to do is stay off the road since you obviously lack the maturity and responsibility that a licensed driver is required to have. You are a danger to yourself and others. The citations you receive are a reminder of that. Why don't you take some responsiblity and learn to drive appropriately or take a bus. Trying to hide the ability that you are a shitty driver does not make me feel any safer.

You openly admit to not paying attention? WTF? I hope you don't kill someone because of your inability to pay attention. I hear Ritalin is all the rage these days...try it. If you already take Ritalin, take more.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Shaking my head at the author's post. Unbelievable.

BUT...has anyone driven through Nebraska ever? Straight highway without anything to look at.   Hineline
If I could, I would do a 110 miles an hour just to get the heck out of there!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey guys
Thanks for the feed back. Just read thru all the posts. Wanted to reiterate. I dont want to speed, it is not my intention to speed. I have no desire to speed. Thank you for your feedback.
Getting used to the car more. You guys forgot one thing. Keep the radio volume down.
Toe tapping music isnt good for the throttle either. I bought the bel rx65 laserpro 905 an cruie control. Wont catch me speeding. Cause now i have reminders not too and protection and countermesures that will aloow me to slow down and not get a ticket.
an officer said he allows 14 over the speed limit. I think that is a little too much. However with that said. Guess what. My last ticket IUm trying to get the points reduced on was for 16 over the speed limit. It was unintentional whether you believe that or not. And at 630 in the morning on a deserted street I should get some slack on the points. But i wont. The ticket is  a 104 the points will cost me thousands in insurance premiums, and thats not fair
Any how. Flame on if it makes you feel good.
And thank you for protecting my family and freinds. I very much appreciate that. My freinds wont come out here at 4 in the morning to clear the basement while I huddle up stairs with a gun, but you will.
Wife has her own guns now. She doesnt wake me up as much any mroe lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Hey guys
Thanks for the feed back. Just read thru all the posts. Wanted to reiterate. I dont want to speed, it is not my intention to speed. I have no desire to speed. Thank you for your feedback.
Getting used to the car more. You guys forgot one thing. Keep the radio volume down.
Toe tapping music isnt good for the throttle either. I bought the bel rx65 laserpro 905 an cruie control. Wont catch me speeding. Cause now i have reminders not too and protection and countermesures that will aloow me to slow down and not get a ticket.
an officer said he allows 14 over the speed limit. I think that is a little too much. However with that said. Guess what. My last ticket IUm trying to get the points reduced on was for 16 over the speed limit. It was unintentional whether you believe that or not. And at 630 in the morning on a deserted street I should get some slack on the points. But i wont. The ticket is  a 104 the points will cost me thousands in insurance premiums, and thats not fair
Any how. Flame on if it makes you feel good.
And thank you for protecting my family and freinds. I very much appreciate that. My freinds wont come out here at 4 in the morning to clear the basement while I huddle up stairs with a gun, but you will.
Wife has her own guns now. She doesnt wake me up as much any mroe lol

If it was unintentional then you aren't paying attention to your driving and that's what makes dangerous drivers.  

Since you weren't paying attention, those increased insurance premiums will remind you every time you pay them to pay more attention to your driving.

Slow down.  I don't think you are a bad guy but you are making excuses for your behaviour.  If you sell that fast car and buy a Geo Metro you won't be caught speeding!!!!

I know that if I had a fast car I would drive it fast.  That's why I have a pickup.  I drive the speed limit and don't have any problems.

SLOW DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top