Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2015 10:23:45 AM EDT
Link

A lawsuit that alleges police in Illinois stripped a young woman naked and photographed her after she died in a drunk driving accident in 2009 will finally head to court next week.

The suit, filed by the family of Jessica Mejia, claims that officers from the Cook County Sheriff's Office stripped Mejia of her clothes in plain view of onlookers gathered at the scene of the accident and took pictures of her naked body.

"This was a young lady that just died and was treated with less dignity than a deer carcass you find on the side of the road," Don Perry, the attorney representing Mejia's family, told the Chicago Tribune.

Mejia, 20, was killed after a car driven by her boyfriend, Nicholas Sord, crashed into a light pole and rolled into a ditch. Sord, who had a blood alcohol level of .236 at the time of the accident, pled guilty to drunk driving last fall and is currently serving a 56-month prison sentence.

The Chicago Tribune was shown the photos by Christina Mejia’s lawyer and described them as one set of photos showing Mejia, lifeless, in the back seat of the vehicle: She is wearing jeans, a white T-shirt and high heels. The other photos show her on a tarp on the ground, naked except for her lower undergarment.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:25:59 AM EDT
Why? They alleging the photos were for personal use?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:28:39 AM EDT
Illinois  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:30:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:30:46 AM EDT
Did they take her top off to apply defibrillator sticky things?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:31:38 AM EDT
wtf
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:32:13 AM EDT

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:44:12 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
View Quote

It seems they stripped her down to photograph damage to her body. It sounds like they could have used a little more tact and set up or held up a tarp/blanket shield and then covered her up when they were finished though.
Meh, she should have known better than to get in with a drunk driver, the blame lays solely on him for any damage done to their daughters reputation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:48:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By StevenH:
View Quote

Isolated incident.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:00:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:06:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Evidence collection.

Cops cleared by a trial jury.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Evidence collection.

Cops cleared by a trial jury.

/thread
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:09:17 AM EDT
How did that even make it to trial....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:09:47 AM EDT
Sheriff's officials testified that Sord told them Mejia had been straddling him and caused the accident. They argued the evidence technicians' work revealed no evidence to support Sord's alibi, helping show that he killed Mejia.

Louis E. Gasperec, the Mejia family's other attorney, said in a rebuttal closing argument that convicting Sord should have been easy enough without evidence technicians needing to undress or photograph Mejia's remains in the way that they did, as Sord was obviously "falling down drunk" and they shouldn't have given his unreliable comments a second thought.
View Quote

So there's a dead victim after a car crash, and the only 'witness'...the driver...was intoxicated and claimed that she was straddling him and that caused the accident.    

The victims family then says 'well, he was drunk, so you shouldn't have believed him and didn't need to investigate that way'.    

Sounds like it was just a through investigation....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:16:03 AM EDT
I didn't clink the link.  Is this the one where the cops were all standing around masturbating on her naked body?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:17:52 AM EDT
How dare those crime scene investigators actually investigate and possibly sully their daughter's clearly pristine virtue and in turn reduce the money grubbers potential lawsuit payout.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:18:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 11:19:07 AM EDT by NinerMaine]
The problem was not that they needed to take her cloths off to gather evidence.  The problem was they did this in a manner, in full public view, that disrespected the dead woman and her family.  How is this distinction so fucking hard to understand?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:22:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:27:19 AM EDT
And pray tell, what "EVIDENCE" were they expecting to gather from the body of the automobile's PASSENGER?

And why would such LOL "evidence" not be gathered at the Medical Examiners Office?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:37:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jim_X:

And pray tell, what "EVIDENCE" were they expecting to gather from the body of the automobile's PASSENGER?

And why would such LOL "evidence" not be gathered at the Medical Examiners Office?

View Quote
If she was straddling him she would have a steering wheel shaped bruise on her back,,,Every mark and bruise on her body gives information on what happens

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:49:01 AM EDT

View Quote

So the evidence techs & cops stripped her dead body to get their rocks off and posted the photos on the web?

Family should have to pay the legal expenses of the people/depts they sued.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:51:03 AM EDT

View Quote

Guess how I know you don't have any clue what you're talking about....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:52:26 AM EDT

View Quote
you've been watching too much ncis

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 11:56:30 AM EDT by John-in-austin]

View Quote

The same evidence you gather from the body of any other MURDER VICTIM.

You have to be one sick and twisted SOB to think it was done for fun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:57:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 11:58:07 AM EDT by Fig]
Derp
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 7:20:07 PM EDT by Paul]
[warning issued - Paul]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:00:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

I've never watched the program.

I was looking for an honest answer, which ilikeporkchops gave.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:00:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ilikeporkchops:
If she was straddling him she would have a steering wheel shaped bruise on her back,,,Every mark and bruise on her body gives information on what happens

View All Quotes

He's my sixteenth ignore!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:01:10 PM EDT

Are you stupid?

I ask the question because I do not know, and want to find the reason that this was done....FU
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:

Are you stupid?

I ask the question because I do not know, and want to find the reason that this was done....FU

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:51:48 PM EDT
Was the boyfriend that claimed the girl was straddling him and thus caused the crash sued by the distraught family?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:56:31 PM EDT
As the father, my protocol would not make them happy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:10:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DmacRTCo:

It seems they stripped her down to photograph damage to her body. It sounds like they could have used a little more tact and set up or held up a tarp/blanket shield and then covered her up when they were finished though.
Meh, she should have known better than to get in with a drunk driver, the blame lays solely on him for any damage done to their daughters reputation.
View All Quotes

WTF we do that at the morgue at the autopsy not at the scene. Jeez.

J-
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:15:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dieselman:
I didn't clink the link.  Is this the one where the cops were all standing around masturbating on her naked body?
View Quote

death bukake?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:18:35 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Seems like that's more a job for the Medical Examiner to do in the morgue than Joe Deputy to do at the side of the road.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:19:03 PM EDT

Are you stupid?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:

Are you stupid?

are you ?  your "lol"  is not part of any curiosity to find the truth it shows a lack of mental capacity
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 6:20:16 PM EDT by ftlaudmike]
Originally Posted By Fig:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fig:

forget it
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:26:03 PM EDT
There are some dumb mother fuckers on this website. Most likely they removed her clothes to find and treat injuries, you know, first fucking aid. Even if she appeared dead they would have tried unless decapitated or otherwise really fucked up such as crushed skull or eviscerated.
People who have no understanding of shit should take some time and learn EMT-B would be a good place to start.

Did you know that you are supposed to remove ALL the upper clothing on a person you giving CPR to. Even the wimminz.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:26:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tacoma721:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:29:43 PM EDT
Why would they need to strip her clothes to take pictures at the scene?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:30:08 PM EDT
View Quote

Do tell.......
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:30:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 6:30:49 PM EDT by EvanWilliams]
Sounds like they could have used a little tact

How you do things matter

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:32:04 PM EDT
View Quote

LULZ.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:34:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:

How you do things matter

View Quote

Oh excuse me everyone lets put up this tent so you can't see what we're doing you know privacy before we start to use the defib that requires we remove her top and bra.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:35:00 PM EDT

View All Quotes

I thought they had medical examiners?  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:37:51 PM EDT

Well since all we have is a couple of short articles lacking a lot of details the jury of local citizens assembled to review the evidence disagree with the family.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NinerMaine:
The problem was not that they needed to take her cloths off to gather evidence.  The problem was they did this in a manner, in full public view, that disrespected the dead woman and her family.  How is this distinction so fucking hard to understand?

Well since all we have is a couple of short articles lacking a lot of details the jury of local citizens assembled to review the evidence disagree with the family.

In all fairness, there's likely a bit of leeway between "Gee, we should've been a bit less callous", and a "We find in favor of the plaintiff"....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:39:02 PM EDT

How you do things matter

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:39:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Swoosh101:

Oh excuse me everyone lets put up this tent so you can't see what we're doing you know privacy before we start to use the defib that requires we remove her top and bra.
View All Quotes

How you do things matter

This
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 6:47:36 PM EDT by justsayin]

View All Quotes

How you do things matter

Was that what happened?

NO.

It appears they left her in the state below, in plain view of onlookers.

" they were just trying to preserve evidence"
The sheriff’s office first denied it had taken the photos of Mejia, but then Smith, who was not with the sheriff's office at the time, admitted the photos were taken and that it is "standard operating procedure" to photograph crime scenes.
The Chicago Tribune was shown the photos by Christina Mejia’s lawyer and described them as one set of photos showing Mejia, lifeless, in the back seat of the vehicle: She is wearing jeans, a white T-shirt and high heels. The other photos show her on a tarp on the ground, naked except for her lower undergarment.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 6:44:04 PM EDT by EvanWilliams]

View All Quotes

How you do things matter

Did they perform CPR?

Defibrillated?

ETA  article mentioned nothing Of that.  Just evidence collection.

Can't throw a sheet over her when done even ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:49:06 PM EDT
much ado about nothing IMHO, family seeking to profit from victim's death. Never get in a car when the driver has a BAC of .236 and you'll reduce of your chances of having photos taken of your naked dead corpse
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:53:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mariner82:

Seems like that's more a job for the Medical Examiner to do in the morgue than Joe Deputy to do at the side of the road.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mariner82:

Indeed. but i dont know how its set up there. Would you be surprised to know that in some places the Sheriff is also the Coroner? You "medical examiner" those places is in fact just a Deputy with some extra training.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:32:26 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top