Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 9:48:05 PM EDT
I saw this on a Texas Cable news spot during the noon news yesterday but have not seen anything else.

It seems an illegal alien (non-mexican?) was near Mc Allen or Brownsville and was caught trying to break into a pawn shop in order to steal some weapons. The news report said he was carring a large amount of cash as well. I hope it's just a junkie

There is some buzz in the TX banking community concerning interest in certian middle-eastern persons doing some strange things with their money recently. Can't go into detail. I'm worried that something (terror attack) may be about to happen in Texas.

Saturday is Sept 11th in an election year and Texas is W's home state. I guess I could be just a little more worried since the Russia school attack.

Keep your eyes open and please report anything that seems out of place to local or federal law enforcement.

Be safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I saw this on a Texas Cable news spot during the noon news yesterday but have not seen anything else.

It seems an illegal alien (non-mexican?) was near Mc Allen or Brownsville and was caught trying to break into a pawn shop in order to steal some weapons. The news report said he was carring a large amount of cash as well. I hope it's just a junkie

Junkie and large amounts of cash do NOT go in the same sentence together.  

There is some buzz in the TX banking community concerning interest in certian middle-eastern persons doing some strange things with their money recently. Can't go into detail. I'm worried that something (terror attack) may be about to happen in Texas.

Saturday is Sept 11th in an election year and Texas is W's home state. I guess I could be just a little more worried since the Russia school attack.

Keep your eyes open and please report anything that seems out of place to local or federal law enforcement.

Be safe,

Flyer

Some Arabs withdrew a very large sum of money in Florida a few weeks ago and got jumped by some armed homies in the parking lot of the bank.  I never heard if anything came out of that either, but a few posters mentioned it odd that such a large amount of money would be moving around in that manner.

All we can do is be vigilant.  If they hit somewhere, better a CCW state than a non-CCW state....at least there is a small chance someone who is armed and skilled may be able to thwart an attack.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
This it?

If it is, I'd say my Spidy Senses are tingling on this one.

www.brownsvilleherald.com/ts_more.php?id=61018_0_10_0_M

Police investigate arms theft

By ERIC GARZA
The Monitor

McALLEN, September 9, 2004 — An 18-year-old Massachusetts man who described himself as of Iranian descent was arrested early Wednesday morning with seven handguns, several boxes of ammunition and a bulletproof vest taken from a local pawnshop.

A McAllen police officer was dispatched to Danny’s Pawn Shop on 300 S. Broadway St. in McAllen after an alarm at the store was set off at 2 a.m. when a window in front of the store was broken out. When the officer arrived, he found a man later identified as Atbin Hoshang Forgham walking away from the store carrying what appeared to be a heavy travel bag in his right hand and a bulletproof vest in his left.

The officer drew his weapon and told Forgham to drop the bags and get down on the pavement. When the officer looked in the bag, he saw that it contained handguns and several boxes of ammunition. Police also found a switchblade knife in Forgham’s front pocket.

“There are a couple of elements in this theft that immediately raised some flags,” McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez said. “We spent a heavy part of the morning trying to figure these things out.”

Forgham had been in the Rio Grande Valley for only a couple of days, Rodriguez said. He told investigators he is of Iranian descent and that he has an address in Canton, Mass. Rodriguez said police do not know why he was in the Rio Grande Valley.

Rodriguez also said that Forgham had “a substantial amount of money” in his possession, although they would not disclose the exact amount.

Workers at the pawnshop told police that Forgham had been in the store at least three times before Wednesday, sometimes looking around for hours at a time. Daniel Gallego, the store’s owner, told police he had asked him to leave the store one time after he saw Forgham trying to take a pistol belt. The store’s owner gave him $20, thinking that he was homeless, police said.

Forgham appeared before McAllen Municipal Judge Kathleen Henley on Wednesday afternoon and was charged with unlawfully carrying a prohibited weapon and burglary of a building. His combined bond was set at $550,000.

McAllen police contacted the Joint Terrorism Task Force for its input in the case. However, there is no reason at this time to suspect that Forgham is a terrorist or has any ties to terrorism, Rodriguez said.

“None of our fears right now have established that it’s anything other than a burglary,” Rodriguez said. “However, the investigation is very young still and we are still putting it together.”

Rodriguez said investigators also are trying to figure out why Forgham was in McAllen.

“That’s what we know at this point,” Rodriguez said. “He had a substantial amount of money, he’s from the Boston area, and everything else is unexplained.”
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Bingo! That's the story. Thanks!

Reading it does not make me feel any safer however.

I imagine that some of these potential "Tangos" are stupid and easily motivated by their leaders, kinda like that shoe bomber guy. What a dumb ass! That does not make them any less dangerous.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Flyer...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't quite a few muslims withdraw large sums of cash right before 9-11?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Border Security??? What ever do you mean???

www.ranchrescue.com
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't there a Military High School down there in the Rio Grande Valley  somewhere??  That could be an appealing target to terrorists.  I'm sure the administration of the school wouldn't dare pass out ammo to the cadets-too politically incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Isn't there a Military High School down there in the Rio Grande Valley  somewhere??  That could be an appealing target to terrorists.  I'm sure the administration of the school wouldn't dare pass out ammo to the cadets-too politically incorrect.

There is a Marine Corps high school in Corpus Christi.  Is that the one you are thinking about?

Bigfeet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top