Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2002 6:27:40 PM EDT
Other than Black Talons, Teflon coated, And AP Handgun Ammo what else is illegal?

I am considering making tool steel or tungston carbide bullets in .223 and using a sabot to shot them out of a .308

Just kinda Curious
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Black talons aren't illegal too own they just changed the name after the bad press, now I think they are called rangers.
Unless you are making exploding rounds I think you will be ok legally.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Hardened steel or wolfram penetrators may very well be illegal. Instead of relying on anonymous advise off the internet, ask the ATF before you do something with the potential to be illegal...

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
For a rifle, your pretty much OK with anything that does not explode.  For handguns, no AP at all.

Those are the only restrictions I know of, but I would ask the ATF to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
These rounds use wolfram penetrators. NOT LEGAL in .223 because Olympic Arms made/makes a .223 pistol:

[url]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m993.htm[/url]

.223 ammo that is armour peircing is NOT LEGAL. Once again, consult the ATF, not anonymous strangers on the internet before proceeding with this plan....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO, it generally varies state by state, like the NJ hoillowpoint restrictions.
i second the ask the atf advice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
For clarification: M855/SS109 is labeled as "semi-armor-piercing" by the ATF. It is legal to own by civilians for this reason. M993/M995 is blacktip armor-piercing ammo. And is illegal for civilian ownership (in 5.56MM) because Olympic Arms made/makes 5.56MM pistols. Armor piercing ammo in "pistol calibers" is illegal. Thus, I would be VERY careful about making potentially armor piercing ammo in 5.56MM without prior ATF approval of the design.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Found my own answer in 18 USC 922(a) 7 and 8 which states it shall be unlawfull :
(7)

for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, except that this paragraph shall not apply to -

(A)

the manufacture or importation of such ammunition for the use of the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof;

(B)

the manufacture of such ammunition for the purpose of exportation; and

(C)

any manufacture or importation for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Secretary;

(8)

for any manufacturer or importer to sell or deliver armor piercing ammunition, except that this paragraph shall not apply to -

(A)

the sale or delivery by a manufacturer or importer of such ammunition for use of the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof;

(B)

the sale or delivery by a manufacturer or importer of such ammunition for the purpose of exportation;

(C)

the sale or delivery by a manufacturer or importer of such ammunition for the purposes of testing or experimenting authorized by the Secretary; and
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Am I to understand from quietshoez post that NJ restricts hollow points from civilians. The police here recommend we carry hollw points when carrying concealed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Am I to understand from quietshoez post that NJ restricts hollow points from civilians. The police here recommend we carry hollw points when carrying concealed.
View Quote

the laws are very vague and probably better answered from a NJ citizen, but as far as i know, you can buy HP, have HP on your property and in your home, but can not carry it, i think they just use it to enforce the prosecution of illegal shooting incidents more viciously though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to NJ once. just once. When I was being forced to live in NY. I like it here in LA no body bothers you about guns. As a matter of fact I had a hollow point eject from my 9mm when I opened it at the check in desk at the gun show. The oficer just laughed and asked "Got any ammo on you"? I replied not anymore.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Although it is a moot point since I can't make them. The Tool steel projectiles would not qualify as .223 ammo since if they where actually loaded into a .223 case and shot thru a .223 pistol it would blow ud the barrel since the projectile is stonger than the barrel. BTW if it is illegal to have AP ammo that will fit in a pistol isn't all AP ammo smaller than .50 since Magnum Research makes the Lone Eagle?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want something interesting make a bullet out of Magnesium.

For those that don't know the Chemistry of Magnesium it is an Alkaline Earth Metal. Magnesium is slightly less reactive than Alkalai Metals.

Long Story Short, Magnesium reacts with boiling water. I am not definite, but I believe this might work with a hot Magnesium Bullet also.

When Magnesium is dropped in boiling water, it will react violently much the same way Sodium reacts to room temperature water.

This means that a Megnesium Bullet should burn on impact with water.

[Edited to Add]

I'm not sure if the bullet would get hot enough to ignite before leaving the barrel of the gun. If so, then you have a burning bullet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Although it is a moot point since I can't make them. The Tool steel projectiles would not qualify as .223 ammo since if they where actually loaded into a .223 case and shot thru a .223 pistol it would blow ud the barrel since the projectile is stonger than the barrel. BTW if it is illegal to have AP ammo that will fit in a pistol isn't all AP ammo smaller than .50 since Magnum Research makes the Lone Eagle?
View Quote

IIRC, the Lone Eagle is single shot. The problem with .223 and the Olympic Arms pistol is that the Olympic Arms pistol is semi-auto...

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top