Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2013 9:33:53 PM EDT
To start I'm 21, 5'10" and weigh 122lbs. Yes, I'm a male

I've always had an unhealthy diet, growing up diet was never stressed to me, and I eat a lot of fast food. There is never food in the refrigerator, and sometimes the only thing I eat for a whole day is some mcdonalds cheeseburger and whatever snacks I can scrounge.

I've been trying to change it, but I really don't know where to start. I don't know what foods to buy that would put healthy weight on relatively quick. I can't afford expensive shakes as I'm a poor college student, etc.

I also had back surgery, and have 2 rods in my back. So lifting weights and such is more or less not allowed, unless it's light weights. I've been attempting push ups etc.

I don't know where to start in order to get a healthier diet. Keep in mind I'm a college student, and work, so I don't have time or energy to cook every day etc.

As far as working out, I can do push ups which I've started doing the 100 pushup program. I can lift up to 20 pounds easily, though doing high reps makes the rods in my back click etc. I can lift up to 50 pounds.

edit:
Also, for some background my family is naturally skinny. My grandfather weighed 117 pounds when he married my grandmother at age 19. My father weighed 140 pounds until he was in his 40s and acquired a beer belly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
just start adding olive oil to stuff.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Tried it. Tastes shitty, didn't see any change. I didn't smother it in the stuff or anything though due to taste.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow you are crazy skinny. If you cant do weights try a cardio program like insanity. What does your daily diet look like? I dont think calories are a problem but if you are eating alot of fast food I dont see how it is a healthy diet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow you are crazy skinny. If you cant do weights try a cardio program like insanity. What does your daily diet look like? I dont think calories are a problem but if you are eating alot of fast food I dont see how it is a healthy diet.

My daily diet varies. It's very inconsistent which I know is part of the problem, that's why I'm trying to figure out a decent consistent diet that would help me gain weight.

Generally I have something small, like cereal or oatmeal with milk, if anything for breakfast. Lunch is usually fast food, mcd's, etc. Dinner is home made a couple times a week such as a chicken breast and mash potatoes/green beans. If it's not home made, it's nothing, or pizza/chinese order out etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Morning: Eggs. As many as you think you can eat. Then add 2 to that number. Bacon of course. Add olive oil.

Drink protein.

Lunch: If you have to eat fast food like McDonalds, get 5 or so McDoubles. Add olive oil.

Drink protein.

Evening: Bake 3-4 chicken breasts and cook some broccoli or similar vegetable. Add olive oil.

Exercise with the light weight focusing on perfect form for an hour a day.

In 1 month check back in. I bet you won't be 125 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Morning: Eggs. As many as you think you can eat. Then add 2 to that number. Bacon of course. Add olive oil.

Drink protein.

Lunch: If you have to eat fast food like McDonalds, get 5 or so McDoubles. Add olive oil.

Drink protein.

Evening: Bake 3-4 chicken breasts and cook some broccoli or similar vegetable. Add olive oil.

What would be a good protein? Just any basic mix from GNC? Also, a good replacement for bacon? My dinner I had planned was going to be as much chicken as I can eat (probably 2 breasts) and as much rice/pasta I can eat with it. Along with drinking almost entirely chocolate milk.

also when you say ad olive oil, what exactly do you mean? How much and in what way? Just pour it on everything?

For lunch I was unsure of what to eat, I was trying to get away from MCD's and the like.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip.

What would be a good protein? Just any basic mix from GNC? Also, a good replacement for bacon? My dinner I had planned was going to be as much chicken as I can eat (probably 2 breasts) and as much rice/pasta I can eat with it. Along with drinking almost entirely chocolate milk.

also when you say ad olive oil, what exactly do you mean? How much and in what way? Just pour it on everything?

For lunch I was unsure of what to eat, I was trying to get away from MCD's and the like.

Right now, I'm using Syntha 6, but the Walmart stuff is good enough if you're on a budget. GNC is overpriced.

You don't have to eat the bacon if you don't want to, just eat the eggs.

Buy the biggest thing of olive oil you can and drench/ dip whatever you eat into it. Whenever you think it's enough, add more.

Buy whole grain if and when possible.

Bottom line is: Your body is accustomed to eating a certain amount. Your brain is going to tell you all day that you're full. If you want to gain weight and are serious about it you have to power through this and keep eating.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip.

Right now, I'm using Syntha 6, but the Walmart stuff is good enough if you're on a budget. GNC is overpriced.

Buy the biggest thing of olive oil you can and drench/ dip whatever you eat into it. Whenever you think it's enough, add more.

Bottom line is: Your body is accustomed to eating a certain amount. Your brain is going to tell you all day that you're full. If you want to gain weight and are serious about it you have to power through this and keep eating.

How many eggs would you say is good? I'll probably be cooking them over easy. I'll probably add olive oil drenched bread too. Also, what about lunch aside from fast food? Turkey sandwiches with a side of rice/olive oil?
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:50:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget natural peanut butter. Two tablespoons of natural PB and two slices of whole grain bread is an easy 400-440 calories with healthy fats.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Eat lots of eggs.   Drink a gallon of whole milk a day.   Eat lots of meat, nuts and peanut butter.

Do compound lifts 3-4 times per week, resting every other day.   Your body and strength will adjust, despite the past surgery.  Start out at whatever weight you can comfortably handle and work up from there.

If you want to gain weight and muscle, don't do that cardio stuff.  You need to bulk up and get strong first.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The best thing I ever did gaining weight was put the myfitnesspal ap on my phone and tracked EVERY SINGLE calorie.

I wasn't eating as much as I thought I was, and neither are you.  Or else you would be gaining weight.   Once you start giving your body 3,000 kcals every day, it'll grow, trust me, I'm proof.

It was hard to eat 3,000 a day for a while, I constantly felt bloated and full and icky all the time but that will change.   Your stomach stretches and in time you can easily eat a lot more.     Just add in a little at a time and be consistent.  

You can do it!   You just have to eat more.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip.

How many eggs would you say is good? I'll probably be cooking them over easy. I'll probably add olive oil drenched bread too. Also, what about lunch aside from fast food? Turkey sandwiches with a side of rice/olive oil?

At 5'10" and 122 you should be eating as many eggs as you can shove in your face. Eggs, meat, nuts and nut butters. Even with your back issue you *should* be able to get some lifting in. Don't make the mistake of using machines, they can force you into an unnatural position and make things worse.

Find someone that knows what they're talking about to help coach you and start lifting. Watch "so you think you can squat" on youtube. Follow a good program like starting strength, 5x5, 5/3/1 etc...Start LIGHT and work up SLOWLY and see what your back can handle. I know a few people with fused vertebrae that still lift fine.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tried it. Tastes shitty, didn't see any change. I didn't smother it in the stuff or anything though due to taste.

quit making excuses.

Does the olive oil taste as shitty as being a fucking twig is?

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

quit making excuses.

Thanks for the advice everyone
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I think between the wife and I (mostly I) we go through roughly 6 liters of olive oil every 2 months or so...
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think between the wife and I (mostly I) we go through roughly 6 liters of olive oil every 2 months or so...

I'm definitely going to use it as much as I can. Right now off the top of my head I'm going to be starting with:
meal 1:
5/6 eggs(to start, may increase) scrambled, with 2 pieces of wheat bread, peanut butter slathered on it, dip in olive oil

protein shake with whole milk

lunch is up in the air but I'm thinking
as much pasta as I can possibly fit in, not sure what I want to go with it. Maybe half a normal serving of chicken. The pasta will have 3-5 tablespoons of olive oil mixed in depending on how much I can handle

protein shake with whole milk

dinner will be 1-2 chicken breasts with pasta, mix in olive oil ofcourse

Will drink as much milk as I can stand. Going to try to use bread with peanut butter dipped in olive oil as any type of filler if I feel like I can stuff anything in between meals/shakes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Just make sure you are working out in some fashion.

Like RoG said, be very careful with the lifting and your back. Do what you can, go very light for a very long time. Compound movements or whatever you want. Get good instruction from a knowledgable person to ensure your form is perfect.

If all you do is eat a ton of food and don't put it to use you'll just get fat...

If you have any question about your back ask your surgeon. Not people on a forum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

quit making excuses.

This is no joke. If you can't deal with the taste of olive oil, you don't need to be big.

Otherwise, pretty much what Bud said. Lift big and eat big. I know you think you are too weak or not read for it or whatever. Again, excuses. Learn how to do the lifts, eat like a mad man just released from the gulag, and you will gain size and strength. Once you get over about 175 and you think you are too fat, keep going for a few months then come back and ask how to cut to lean body mass.

You need to buy, at a minimum, every time you go to the grocery store (assuming 1x/week):

3-4 gallons of whole milk
12oz olive oil
3-4 dozen eggs
3-5lbs ground beef
3-4lbs bacon
3-4lbs chicken thigh or breast (some stores have them frozen and ready to pop in the microwave for quick food- not awful if you are busy)
Couple pounds of sandwich meat
However much white rice you want
Several sweet potatoes
Couple pounds of butter
Veggies- leafy greens, peas, green peppers, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, etc
Cheese sticks

Every meal you want a minimum half pound of meat, 1-2 cups cooked rice/sweet potatoes/etc, 6oz leafy greens or peas, 20-24oz milk. Drink milk between meals.  

Personal favorite of mine is 4-6 fried eggs over 10oz or so white rice, little soy sauce, 6oz peas

Omelets with 4-6 eggs with 5oz spinach sauteed in olive oil with some bacon or ham is awesome.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have time to cook the bacon in the morning. I'll have to figure out some sort of ready to eat alternative. Probably mix in ham with the eggs?

Also, here is me/my back for reference.

Yeah, I'm not* able to lift over 50lbs, doctors orders. He actually said 40 but I've lifted 50 without a problem as long as I don't bend any.
I will be doing as much exercising as I am able.

also, I'm not looking to get "huge" I just want to fill out as much as I can and stay relatively lean
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#20]
40lbs forever?

If that's right then I'd personally make pushups/pullups/bar dip/squats ie all body weight movements my business. Throw in weight to your limit.

The more muscle you get on you and your back the more stable it should become.

I'll probably get some flak for that approach but it's your back.

Baby steps
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
40lbs forever?

If that's right then I'd personally make pushups/pullups/bar dip/squats ie all body weight movements my business. Throw in weight to your limit.

Baby steps

Well, supposedly at the 1 year mark(a month ago) my limit was going to be upped a bit, but the surgeon was running late in surgery so I left rather than wait god knows how long.

I can already feel my back is much stronger than it was even a few months ago. However, even pushups can tweak it to its limit and can cause much pain.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#22]
WTF did you do!?!

I would stick with the surgeons weight limits and work within that range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WTF did you do!?!

I would stick with the surgeons weight limits and work within that range.

if you mean about my back, scoliosis surgery
2 rods 24 screws 2 plates 2 fusions
and then I had staph infection

I was actually down to 108 pounds after I got home from surgery.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
40lbs forever?

Baby steps

Baby steps, indeed. The one thing that will be hard will be getting your spinal erectors strong, obviously. You should be able to develop your lats, low back, rhomboids, traps, rear delts, and then everything shoulder/limb related.

How long ago was the surgery (a year? saw that in your other post) and what kind of PT was involved?

No pt was involved. They told me to walk around often. I am a very active/fidgety person and was up doing that stuff in no time, along with 5lb weights etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#28]
My doctor at the time put me on a 50 pound lifting restriction in 1989 due to Grade 3 spondylolisthesis.

He'd crap his pants if he saw my deadlift and squat numbers today.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
40lbs forever?

Baby steps

Baby steps, indeed. The one thing that will be hard will be getting your spinal erectors strong, obviously. You should be able to develop your lats, low back, rhomboids, traps, rear delts, and then everything shoulder/limb related.

How long ago was the surgery (a year? saw that in your other post) and what kind of PT was involved?

No pt was involved. They told me to walk around often. I am a very active/fidgety person and was up doing that stuff in no time, along with 5lb weights etc.

That must have killed you being out, then. I am guessing the rods are either side of the spine, do they run the majority or entirety of the length of the spine?

Not a very good picture of it, blurry cell phone pic.. but it shows the rods
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Not that i'm recommending it... This is no way supposed to be construed as medical advice.

But I trained a volleyball girl who had similar fusion/rod work done. The good part is that it's all located in your thoracic spine (unless i'm missing something from that picture)  Which has wonderful buttressing by the ribs.

She started slow, but over 2 years she was up to squatting 300...

Not recommending, just... saying...

Another thing-->  CHeck to see if your school has a belt-squat machine in any of the gyms. Boom. Super heavy squat capability without any loading of the thoracic spine instrumentation. Bench shouldn't be a problem either... but... yeah...

====================

If it were me, i'd slowly advance my activity as tolerated and say "to hell with a doc's recommendations."

But that's just me, knowing that 99% of docs are fucktards. (shit, am I included in my own broad generalization?...)

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think all doc's are fucktards after having worked with so many, though not too many surgeons.

I think the problem lays in the fact that most doc's don't lift/powerlifting/oly lifting etc... So they don't understand it. In practice they probably don't get much exposure to super fit/strong patients as those aren't the typical folks that need a doctor or surgeon.

I'd love to see the reaction Dark Tide's patients have when he walks in their room

And I just hard boiled 36 eggs. I eat 3-4 a day
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't think all doc's are fucktards after having worked with so many, though not too many surgeons.

I think the problem lays in the fact that most doc's don't lift/powerlifting/oly lifting etc... So they don't understand it. In practice they probably don't get much exposure to super fit/strong patients as those aren't the typical folks that need a doctor or surgeon.

I'd love to see the reaction Dark Tide's patients have when he walks in their room

And I just hard boiled 36 eggs. I eat 3-4 a day

The thing I hate about hard boiled eggs is peeling them is a bitch. All that work and so little food.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

quit making excuses.

This is no joke. If you can't deal with the taste of olive oil, you don't need to be big.

Otherwise, pretty much what Bud said. Lift big and eat big. I know you think you are too weak or not read for it or whatever. Again, excuses. Learn how to do the lifts, eat like a mad man just released from the gulag, and you will gain size and strength. Once you get over about 175 and you think you are too fat, keep going for a few months then come back and ask how to cut to lean body mass.

You need to buy, at a minimum, every time you go to the grocery store (assuming 1x/week):

3-4 gallons of whole milk

12oz olive oil

3-4 dozen eggs

3-5lbs ground beef

3-4lbs bacon

3-4lbs chicken thigh or breast (some stores have them frozen and ready to pop in the microwave for quick food- not awful if you are busy)

Couple pounds of sandwich meat

However much white rice you want

Several sweet potatoes

Couple pounds of butter

Veggies- leafy greens, peas, green peppers, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, etc

Cheese sticks

Every meal you want a minimum half pound of meat, 1-2 cups cooked rice/sweet potatoes/etc, 6oz leafy greens or peas, 20-24oz milk. Drink milk between meals.  

Personal favorite of mine is 4-6 fried eggs over 10oz or so white rice, little soy sauce, 6oz peas

Omelets with 4-6 eggs with 5oz spinach sauteed in olive oil with some bacon or ham is awesome.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have time to cook the bacon in the morning. I'll have to figure out some sort of ready to eat alternative. Probably mix in ham with the eggs?

Also, here is me/my back for reference.

http://i45.tinypic.com/okbyfn.jpg

Yeah, I'm not* able to lift over 50lbs, doctors orders. He actually said 40 but I've lifted 50 without a problem as long as I don't bend any.

I will be doing as much exercising as I am able.

also, I'm not looking to get "huge" I just want to fill out as much as I can and stay relatively lean

Wow, well that's beyond anything I've worked with. Take it easy, if you are very careful with form you MAY still be able to do some lifting...good luck man.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

CHeck to see if your school has a belt-squat machine in any of the gyms.
But that's just me, knowing that 99% of docs are fucktards. (shit, am I included in my own broad generalization?...)

Belt machine is a great idea.

Hell, most docs will tell perfectly healthy people not to squat
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And who doesn't just love squats!?!

My quads are pretty sore at the moment and it feels great since I am finally squatting again since my surgery. Feels good!

But sadly squats with more then a broom stick isn't in this young mans near future.

And I'd recommend to stay away from the leg press for now. Too many people roll their hips. You need to build perfect form before much else.

I'm surprised Kevin007 hasn't chimed in yet.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My quads are pretty sore at the moment and it feels great since I am finally squatting again since my surgery. Feels good!

But sadly squats with more then a broom stick isn't in this young mans near future.

And I'd recommend to stay away from the leg press for now. Too many people roll their hips. You need to build perfect form before much else.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a set of 20 at 245 today

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that, I think it's worth CAREFULLY exploring what you're capable of...very carefully...

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that, I think it's worth CAREFULLY exploring what you're capable of...very carefully...  

Nice squatting! I can't wait to get back to where I used to be, sets of 315lbs was pretty good for me.

As for the broom stick. I agree with RoG, VERY CAREFULLY explore where you are at. I mention the broom stick as it's light and will put you in proper form for squats without any undo strain for now.

The way I am reading this thread is that the OP has NEVER worked out before and therefore has absolutely NO experience with weights.

I always preached spending a month or two learning perfect form with the bar for novice lifters. His back surgery just looks like lighter and longer learning and perfecting form might be a good idea.

I look at it this way, he can't hurt himself going too slow...
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice squatting! I can't wait to get back to where I used to be, sets of 315lbs was pretty good for me.

As for the broom stick. I agree with RoG, VERY CAREFULLY explore where you are at. I mention the broom stick as it's light and will put you in proper form for squats without any undo strain for now.

The way I am reading this thread is that the OP has NEVER worked out before and therefore has absolutely NO experience with weights.

I always preached spending a month or two learning perfect form with the bar for novice lifters. His back surgery just looks like lighter and longer learning and perfecting form might be a good idea.

I look at it this way, he can't hurt himself going too slow...

I can't argue with that.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Have any good light weight or body weight exercise routines to start out on? Excluding ones that make you bend your back such as sit ups/crunches
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I would start on the youtubes and see what you can dig up on mobility. Do the rods/fusion hinder mobility much aside from spine flexion? Get arms straight above head, touch toes, etc? Can you sit straight back into a chair from standing without using your hands or falling over?

I don't how your humility level is, but you need to be real honest with yourself up front.

You need to know your limitations so you know what you need to do to exceed them.

I can do all that
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have any good light weight or body weight exercise routines to start out on? Excluding ones that make you bend your back such as sit ups/crunches

Squats with a broom stick.

Pushups.

Dumbbell dead lifts and clean and presses with however light a weight you care to use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Just as some guys have said:

Nothing we are saying (me included), is not to do what we are suggesting without first getting permission from your surgeon or primary care physician. Are words and advice are worth exactly what you are paying for it... Nothing.

These replies do not substitute professional instruction by a quailified Physical Therapist or Physical Trainer.

Basically my disclaimer that we want you to succeed but don't hurt yourself in the process and if you did hurt yourself we are not responsible

Work within what your surgeons guidelines are.

We can help point you in the right direction but suggest professional in person guidance for proper lifting form etc etc etc

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Starting Strength and a gallon of milk a day is your cure.

Start light (Even if this means using a broom stick or the woman's bar without any weights on it), get the form down PERFECT, then start increasing the weights.  Stay away from cardio at this point.  Given the special circumstances, I would suggest seeking out a trainer in the strength field to work with you on this.

And, of course, make sure you doctor and physical therapist gives you the clear to do this.   They should clear you for this before proceeding.  If nothing is wrong, they will (and they should encourage you, but under supervision of a trainer).
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Drink protein.

Drink protein.

Blech. Eggs cooked in olive oil taste like shit. I like coconut oil for eggs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top