Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2008 5:50:29 PM EDT
I've had several people asking me questions about joining BP.  If your interested in joining, feel free to IM or email me before you apply and I'll try to answer any questions you have.  I've been in a couple years so I have a pretty fresh idea about what goes in the application process and in the academy.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Please keep your "shoot them all" comments to yourself!
<<Striker>>
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my friends is taking the test tomorrow, and that got me thinking about it too.  I can't stand working in a cubicle farm much longer.  I have no idea what it is all about, but it seems to be the furthest thing from what I'm doing now and has me interested. Can you tell me what an average week is like for a newbie?
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
It all depends on the area you go to.  If your station has a checkpoint, then normally you will rotate doing checkpoint one day and then patrolling, tracking, or whatever else needs to be done.  When you first start you spend a fair amount of time processing aliens(if your in Texas-- If in AZ they have processing centers).  Personally I think once you get your processing down and know it, then there isn't much to stop you from moving up in the Patrol.  There are alot of guys that have been here for 6-7 even 15 years and they can barely process an alien.  They also will never go above the position of Patrol Agent.  If you like being outdoors and like a kind of different type of police work, then its a great job to get into!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get back to your Xbox 360!
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've had several people asking me questions about joining BP.  If your interested in joining, feel free to IM or email me before you apply and I'll try to answer any questions you have.  I've been in a couple years so I have a pretty fresh idea about what goes in the application process and in the academy.  

Jon,

Please accept my commendation for volunteering in this capacity.  Not something a lot of LEO's would take the time to do.  My experience indicates that you will ultimately find it to have been worth the time and effort, though not always as soon as or in ways you might have expected.  

Siempre verde,

ElVerdeMalo

USBP Academy 122nd Session
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a 91 on my written test two weeks ago, waiting to hear about the next part of the process - applied for the Norther Border.

Looking forward to the rest of the process, the Academy, and a great career as a USBP Agent!
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Jon,

Please accept my commendation for volunteering in this capacity.  Not something a lot of LEO's would take the time to do.  My experience indicates that you will ultimately find it to have been worth the time and effort, though not always as soon as or in ways you might have expected.  

Siempre verde,

ElVerdeMalo

USBP Academy 122nd Session

Thanks for the kind words, I'm not from the border area, never spoke spanish a day in my life, and had never seen a BP agent before.  I grew up with a cop for a dad so I knew I wanted to take that path.  I found the Border Patrol on the internet one day, applied for the heck of it, and glad I did.  This is an incredible job, and when I got to my station I saw how bad the Patrol needed help.  So I figured why not help the guys who are coming from a situation similar to mine.  If you like the outdoors and want an awesme LE job, look into it.  

Gunner 1911--good job on the written

JonLSU---669
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Just stopping in to say hi. I'm already at FLETC (Class 778) and just finished week 6. Going to YUM/YUS. It is a very good program and look forward to getting it over with. I have to stay for Spanish though. Yuma will be a very big change from Cincinnati.

How is the FTO program?

Edit: Sorry , had to go throw my clothes in the dryer

Also, I hear that the Border Patrol Spanish is very different from the way people talk down on the Border (slang, dialect, etc.). Would it be worth my while to take Spanish classes once I get to my station, if I will even have time to do that?

mfn
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Class 771 here, just finished Week 10 and staying for Spanish. Graduating July 30, and leaving for good at the end of September.

Didn't realize there were any other ARFCOM'ers here at FLETC. We can definately provide the best and current information about the Academy. Feel free to IM me and I'm sure any of the others here.

myfakename, we gotta meet up sometime. I see your class around at times.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I was class 596 but have since transferred to ICE. Border Spanish is very different from what they teach at the academy. You need to learn the proper Spanish for the oral boards(if they still do that), however aliens will not understand everything you ask them. I learned border slang from coworkers who grew up speaking Spanish. Good luck to all, it's a great job if you're single.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...it's a great job if you're single.

...and under 37 years old.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its actually up to under 40 now
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How is the FTO program?

Also, I hear that the Border Patrol Spanish is very different from the way people talk down on the Border (slang, dialect, etc.). Would it be worth my while to take Spanish classes once I get to my station, if I will even have time to do that?

mfn

FTO program is pretty fun.  You'll get out and learn the processing and learn your area.  I'm in S. Tex and for us processing is your primary focus at first.  Once you get the hang of it it goes smoother and you play alot more in the field.  As far as Spanish slang, you could take a class, but you'll learn it from other co-workers.  It'll take some time but youll pick it up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#14]
was on a ride two weeks ago and met a BP agent, he told me that because i have zero experience w.spanish id have an easier time picking it up in academy.

(he spoke his dialect of spanish fluently before joining up, had a harder time learning their way)
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
was on a ride two weeks ago and met a BP agent, he told me that because i have zero experience w.spanish id have an easier time picking it up in academy.

(he spoke his dialect of spanish fluently before joining up, had a harder time learning their way)

Yep, I had classmates who grew up speaking Spanish who damn near failed because they couldn't read/write English very well and did not speak the proper Spanish that the Patrol wants.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
It all depends on the area you go to.  If your station has a checkpoint, then normally you will rotate doing checkpoint one day and then patrolling, tracking, or whatever else needs to be done.  When you first start you spend a fair amount of time processing aliens(if your in Texas-- If in AZ they have processing centers).  Personally I think once you get your processing down and know it, then there isn't much to stop you from moving up in the Patrol.  There are alot of guys that have been here for 6-7 even 15 years and they can barely process an alien.  They also will never go above the position of Patrol Agent.  If you like being outdoors and like a kind of different type of police work, then its a great job to get into!!

could you share what all is required in processing an alien. why are some not able to correctly do it?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly, its attention to detail.  Some peole try to rush and forget to put stuff.  Other flat out suck at writing.  And some can barely speak English, their native lang being Spanish.  Most people just hate paperwork, who doesnt.  But if you have to do it, do it right
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#18]
i know that bp operates aircraft, so my question is do they do all of the piloting and maintance in house, and if so are they still full fledged officers? thanks

ROD
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I know that BP pilots are full fledged officers and I'm pretty sure we do in house maintainence, but I'm not sure if the mechanics are officers.  I doubt they are, our mechanics that work on our vehicles are employed by DHS but are not officers..
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

EVERYONE learns the processing side.  If you are new, this is what you do most of the time, AZ or not.  Following tracks in the desert and sacking up aliens is the fun part.  Beyond that, I agree with you, if you can’t do an A-File, you will not go anywhere fast.  You can catch a thousand aliens, but you will not get any praise from the management side unless you can crank out 3-4 cases a shift.  

Quoted:

Just stopping in to say hi. I'm already at FLETC (Class 778) and just finished week 6. Going to YUM/YUS. It is a very good program and look forward to getting it over with. I have to stay for Spanish though. Yuma will be a very big change from Cincinnati.

How is the FTO program?

mfn

YUM/YUS FTO is really good.  You will learn a lot, but if you are a turd, they will have no problem out-processing you.  Right now, FTO is the last stage and they have no problem getting rid of someone who should not be there.  It will suck being yelled at all over again, but just stick with it.  Learn the area, study your post academy materials and you will be fine.  If you have any questions beyond this, shoot me an email.

As far as the Spanish, the best thing you can do is memorize the vocab, noun and verb list from Honor First, before you get there.  They teach the “proper/formal” form of Spanish at the academy, which confuses most of folks they deal with.  No point in trying to learn this form before you get there.  Learn the vocab and you will be ahead of your classmates.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

40 is the new magic number.

Quoted:

Quoted:

could you share what all is required in processing an alien. why are some not able to correctly do it?

Processing is kind of a loose term.  Essentially, you are going to create a file that will be presented to a judge to determine their outcome.  Soup to nuts sort of thing that will involve their sworn statement, detailed narratives, and a shit ton of forms.  This is your  basic criminal alien.  It gets a little more in depth when you start dealing with smugglers, loads, etc.  Typically, your first case file will take an entire shift.  After a few weeks, you will be able to process multiple files.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Is 40 the drop dead age or do you get a few extra years for prior active duty military time like some other federal agencies?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is 40 the drop dead age or do you get a few extra years for prior active duty military time like some other federal agencies?

I'm afraid 40 is it.  You need to have an offer letter in your hand before you hit that number.  It was upped from 37 a year or two back specifically because they were missing a large pool of qualified applicants, military folks who did their 20 and were getting out.  Of course, anyone can take advantage of the new age limit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Of course, anyone can take advantage of the new age limit.

Not unless you retired at 20. I retired at 26.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Of course, anyone can take advantage of the new age limit.

Not unless you retired at 20. I retired at 26.

Sorry bout that, I guess I did not word it properly.  What I meant was anyone can take advantage of the new age limit, military or not.  You are correct though, after 40 you are not eligible to apply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top