Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 11:59:25 PM EDT
Load of horse shit if its actually true.....

Halo fans will have to upgrade their computer if they want to follow Master Chief's adventures on the PC.
Microsoft has announced that the PC version of Halo 2 will only work on the new version of Windows called Vista.

The decision could make it expensive for many to play the game if they have to buy the new version of Windows and extra hardware for their PC.

Microsoft has given no definite release date for Vista but it is expected to be available by the end of 2006.

Power play

Deciding to make the best-selling Halo 2 Xbox game a Vista-only title is likely driven by Microsoft's desire to get people upgrading to the new version of the Windows.

Minimum specifications for Vista (formerly called Longhorn) will be released in the summer but information gathered from reviews of pre-release versions have given clues about its hunger for computer power.

With Vista, Microsoft has made big changes to the way it handles graphics. Unlike other versions of Windows, it will need an advanced video card to get the most out of it.

It is also likely to demand a lot of computer memory and a sizeable hard drive. While these requirements are likely to be met by dedicated players who want to get the most out of games, many less keen players could struggle to comply.

The decision to make only a Vista version of the best-selling Halo 2 game could significantly stunt the game's appeal.

The Vista edition of Halo 2 will offer single and multi-player versions of the game, extra maps from add-on packs as well as software tools to create new places to play.

To date Microsoft has sold more than 14.5 million copies of the Halo games. Players have also racked up more than 600 million hours of multiplayer Halo gaming on the Xbox Live service.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It is meant for the xbox anyways.  Playing Halo on the PC is blasphemy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
i still see hundred of systems a year running business's on windows 98.    

I'm starting to like the forced upgrades on computers
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

It should be a felony to have anything less than windows 2000 on a PC anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yep... One was better anyways.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

just yesterday a doctors office 7 computers running 98se.  the server was running nt 4.0.    they were 400mhz 128 mb of ram.  andrunning the latestest mcafee virus scan.  and they all had gator installed.  

they each took 4 minutes to boot into windowz.    i was there for 5 hours.  all i was suppost to do was replace a router.    I should have know.   a bunch of women in a doctors office.   all they do it look at guys, and cats and dogs on the internet.

and none of them were hot  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

just yesterday a doctors office 7 computers running 98se.  the server was running nt 4.0.    they were 400mhz 128 mb of ram.  andrunning the latestest mcafee virus scan.  and they all had gator installed.  

they each took 4 minutes to boot into windowz.    i was there for 5 hours.  all i was suppost to do was replace a router.    I should have know.   a bunch of women in a doctors office.   all they do it look at guys, and cats and dogs on the internet.

You should get hazardous duty pay tacked on for having to struggle thru that.

BTW - Is there a XBOX type controller that plugs into the PC?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if there is an XBOX version, but I know you can take your PS2 controller and use it on your PC with the right adapter it plugs into a USB port.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know if there is an XBOX version, but I know you can take your PS2 controller and use it on your PC with the right adapter it plugs into a USB port.

Yes, there is an xbox version.  So???
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

oohhh?

How would you know that ?

btw - Posting in between paperwork deluges?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oohhh?

How would you know that ?

btw - Posting in between paperwork deluges?

Yeah the paperwork never ends!!
<----Me behind all the paper on my desk.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

mouse/KB blows that control pad away any day
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesnt matter.   Halo is a console game.   They port it to the PC for the doucebags who do not know any better
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I predict Vista will be the next ME
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#15]
dang ms is so desperate to push their new crappy OS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I got to do a call for this chick... www.nadia-bjorlin.com/. Took us 3 days to finish their house... installed 4 plasma tv's, 4 pc's, wireless network, wired the whole house for audio and video... took awhile.. anyhow.. while I was upstairs installing the pc in the bedroom, she comes home from work (Soap opera show), says hi, walks into the bathroom, and takes a shower.. left the door open... all I had to do was peek my head in and I could of seen it all... wish I had! I was more worried about her asshole fiance walking in on me watching :)

-d
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What makes you think it is so crappy?  Playing with a beta version are you?  If you are, here is a hint - its not a final production version.

I, for one, welcome windows vista, and hope it becomes an industry standard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you think it is so crappy?  Playing with a beta version are you?  If you are, here is a hint - its not a final production version.

umm sorry i didn't know beta version was out and don't really have time to find it and download the whole crappy thing. im sure most casual pc users will appreciate those new features they put in, but it's not really that good. but whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

umm sorry i didn't know beta version was out and don't really have time to find it and download the whole crappy thing. im sure most casual pc users will appreciate those new features they put in, but it's not really that good. but whatever floats your boat.

one more newbie who doesnt know what he is talking about.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ho

and a newbie who actually got offended over a pos OS
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm no MS hater, but making you upgrade to a new OS to play one of their most popular games is hella-lame.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hell, I think most current games are still 2000 compatible.

Quite a few are 98/ME compatible also.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you are calling it "crappy" and you haven't even used it??

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you are calling it "crappy" and you haven't even used it??

-d

Thats the same thing I was thinking.      He has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]
nonetheless, the new features promised for vista looks like a waste that most ppl are not even going to use (ces video) plus you could do all of that with other programs that already exists for windows xp. not only that they just had to copy firefox and make it so that it only works with vista. which is lame in my opinion.

what im trying to say is that all the features in vista can be done with just an update. vista seriously is just a waste just like latest editions of ms office.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
People already hate Vista, and it isn't even out yet.  I remember how everyone hated XP too before it came out.  I'll bet that 99.9999% of you running XP now would not go back to 98SE even if I paid you....which I won't.  Jesus, at least wait until it comes out before you burn it at the stake.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
People already hate Vista, and it isn't even out yet.  I remember how everyone hated XP too before it came out.  I'll bet that 99.9999% of you running XP now would not go back to 98SE even if I paid you....which I won't.  Jesus, at least wait until it comes out before you burn it at the stake.

+1
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

o win xp using win2k kernal was a genius idea, i loved it bc win 2k was stable (atleast more than the current windows out back then).

ur right, people won't go back to older versions, bc it's not as secure as the latest os that ms supports (gaming performance wise, i heard it's a lot faster in win98 compare to winxp, but ppl wont switch bc of the security and stability issue).  most ppl hate vista bc they know that ms can add those small features that are in vista for win xp...  and the fact that they would have to switch to the latest os just to get all the good ms' security patches.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oO? win xp using win2k kernal was a genius idea, iI loved it bcbecause win 2k was stable (atleast more than the current windows out back then).

urYou are right, people won't go back to older versions, bcbecause it's not as secure as the latest os that msMicrosoft supports (gaming performance wise, iI heard it's a lot faster in win98 compared to winxp, but pplpeople wont switch bcbecause of the security and stability issue).  mMost pplpeople hate vista bcbecause they know that msMicrosoft can add those small features that are in vista for win xp...  and the fact that they would have to switch to the latest os just to get all the good ms'Microsoft security patches.

Your replies make you look like an idiot to begin with, and your spelling and grammer just makes it worse.  Learn to type.

You "heard" huh?  You don't know shit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

o win xp using win2k kernal was a genius idea, i loved it bc win 2k was stable (atleast more than the current windows out back then).

ur right, people won't go back to older versions, bc it's not as secure as the latest os that ms supports (gaming performance wise, i heard it's a lot faster in win98 compare to winxp, but ppl wont switch bc of the security and stability issue).  most ppl hate vista bc they know that ms can add those small features that are in vista for win xp...  and the fact that they would have to switch to the latest os just to get all the good ms' security patches.

Go back to where you came from.. you obviously don't know jack shit about OS's... and you make assumptions on stuff you haven't even used yourself.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

here
-d

stupid noobs everywhere. im out. kiss the rings bitch
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go back to where you came from.. you obviously don't know jack shit about OS's... and you make assumptions on stuff you haven't even used yourself.

-d

Go back to the counter-strike forums where you belong kid.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

Go back to the counter-strike forums where you belong kid.

+42

lol
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Got an IM from him... here is the full IM in its entirety...

"noob"

That was it folks... I'd say mission accomplished, troll dispatched back to trollville.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Got an IM from him... here is the full IM in its entirety...

"noob"

That was it folks... I'd say mission accomplished, troll dispatched back to trollville.

-d

I got the same thing, and told him to never PM me again.  So far, he hasnt, looks like you are right.  Back to the Steam forums for him.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#37]
another thread, that i missed out on all the fun
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm interested to see what vista will bring to the table but I don't have my hopes up.
Does MS still make you register in order to get beta copies?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'm interested to see what vista will bring to the table but I don't have my hopes up.
Does MS still make you register in order to get beta copies?

The people I know who are beta testing didnt register with Microsoft.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Download from bit torrent perhaps?
I'll poke around MS's website...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ask, and you shall recieve

ts.searching.com/download.asp?id=529073
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#42]
LOL.
Holy shit...2 Gigabytes?
Well that leaves me out as I don't have A dvd burner.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask, and you shall recieve

ts.searching.com/download.asp?id=529073

Thanks for the link, downloading now.

*update*
downloaded it, but no cdkey and ones I found online don't work eather. oh well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesnt matter.   Halo is a console game.   They port it to the PC for the doucebags who do not know any better

Shows how much you know. HALO was originally developed for PC....All FPS's are better played on a Mouse+KB combo...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shows how much you know. HALO was originally developed for PC....All FPS's are better played on a Mouse+KB combo...

Yes it does, I know that it was originally designed for the PC.  Have you ever seen any gameplay videos of the early PC versions?  It sucked, that game would have surely died.

And NO, not all FPS are better on a keyboard and mouse combo.  I garuantee you I can put you down every single time in Halo 2 if you are playing with a KB/Mouse and me with my xbox controller.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it does, I know that it was originally designed for the PC.  Have you ever seen any gameplay videos of the early PC versions?  It sucked, that game would have surely died.

And NO, not all FPS are better on a keyboard and mouse combo.  I garuantee you I can put you down every single time in Halo 2 if you are playing with a KB/Mouse and me with my xbox controller.

Ooooo tough talk      

Gonna agree with Adair on this one.  While KB + mouse are nice for most all FPS, sometimes the simplicity of a controller makes for an excellent experience.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooooo tough talk      

Gonna agree with Adair on this one.  While KB + mouse are nice for most all FPS, sometimes the simplicity of a controller makes for an excellent experience.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man, if you lived closer I'd take that bet and your money :P
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man, if you lived closer I'd take that bet and your money :P

sure you would.

We can always play on xbox live.  I promise I wont use my admin privelages too much.

There are only 3 games that I am naturally good at, and will talk shit about playing - Unreal Tournament, Halo 2, and Command & Conquer Generals.  

You would be the one walking away broke - good luck finding a version of Halo 2 that is mouse/keyboard compatible.

Halo2 is paced and designed around the controller, and the PC version of Halo 1 reflects that..  I play better than anyone else in an online game on the PC version when I have the xbox controller with the USB adapter plugged in, rather than using the mouse and keyboard.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top